X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• another night of winter camping

went to my campsite to find my canvas tent collapsed and a frozen mess,
    frozen to the ground so there was no adjusting it,
    have to wait till the next thaw to try to salvage it.

so had to go to plan b for a place to sleep,

i brought the used door as a platform to the site last year and comes in very handy,
    i also have foam squares, kids playmat squares on top of it,
    was freezing out but ground didnt bother me,
    was the wind and cold that made it rough
    another pic with door installed

1 thing i dont like about winter camping is the early sunset
    sunset was at 4:30, so had to have dinner finished, cleaned up, food sack hung before it got dark, makes for a very long night,
    weather said temps in the 20's overnight,
    but felt like teens and very windy

Re: another night of winter camping

Originally posted by terasec View Post
    1 thing i dont like about winter camping is the early sunset
    sunset was at 4:30, so had to have dinner finished, cleaned up, food sack hung before it got dark, makes for a very long night, weather said temps in the 20's overnight,
    but felt like teens and very windy
    I would agree with you on that! Certainly different than the short "nighttime" that summer gives us. In fall/winter camptrip, my wife had no problem calling it a night at 8pm...then she'll sleep til 8am the next day. If I go to bed at 8pm, I'm up at 2 or 3am...and wide awake. It does make for a different experience. Her sleep time is regulated by the amount of light...mine is a set amount of hours.

Don't you have/use a headlamp or something that would help provide some light and time extension for meal prep/cleanup, etc?
    2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
    Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
    Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
    Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by a65hoosier View Post

Don't you have/use a headlamp or something that would help provide some light and time extension for meal prep/cleanup, etc?
      i do have flashlights/headlights,
      if necessary could do so in the dark,
      but being remote location, prefer not to fumble around doing so in the dark

Comment

Early sundown is tough, but I found a benefit for it: Night photography doesn't have to wait til late night. Thanksgiving, I ate dinner around 4, then took photos from about 6 to 8 p.m. and still had time to read before bed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	night sky.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	69983 Click image for larger version

Name:	highlighted view.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	69984
        “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

If you can lug a Coleman gas lantern into camp they are excellent for winter nights. In addition to brilliant light, they give off a LOT of heat. I put my Coleman lantern under my seat. It gives me light and I stay comfy warm

Comment

Working...
          X