Off Season Activities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off Season Activities

Surely this forum is filled with many camping enthusiasts, so you can understand my strife when I am wondering what to do in the offseason. Obviously, there are some out there who are used to winter camping, however for those who are not that seasoned for that, what do you do when you are going stir crazy?

When it is raining, snowing outside what do you do to keep you busy?
    Visit www.gearspoke.com for all of your rental needs!

Re: Off Season Activities

I know that winter can be depressing but I try and go skiing a lot. I enjoy cross country and downhill. It helps break the monotony of the winter months.

Comment

Ugh, I can feel your pain. I am still planning another winter camp trip for a couple of nights, but that obviously leaves many nights in Dec, Jan, Feb (what I consider "winter" here in IN) that are left open.

I do get out and hike regularly, regardless of weather. Winter days are some of the best times (for me at least) to hit the trails. Good exercise, very few people and no biting insects. Any wildlife out is easier to spot with the forests and hillsides bare. Winter makes for good photography.

I spend some time doing my annual cleanup and maintenance on my gear from this year's camping. Last weekend, I took apart both of my Coleman dual burner stoves and scrubbed/degreased/waxed the cases, cleaned the grates, etc. Lantern glass globes get a cleaning, dead bugs removed, and a cleaning and polishing/waxing of the founts, etc. Check and replace anything that is faulty (generators, valves, etc.)

I've ordered new reflective guy line cord and plan to re-tie lines for a Kelty tarp and two tents. I am tired of clothes-lining myself and/or tripping over lines at night so this is a priority for me.

Of course I poke around the forum here (and others) to placate myself and try to pick up some new techniques or learn about new equipment or new locations. Then I go and spend some time researching it online. I make plans now and execute them during the Spring/Summer/Fall.

Basically just a lot of miscellaneous things to keep busy until the weather turns better and I can get back into camping full force.
      2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
      Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
      Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
      Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Holiday stuff looming, and it's nearly hunting season here. Gotta defrost the freezer in preparation for Bambi to move in. ;-)
        Need to get the new-to-me conversion van roadable (cooling system problems, parts on order) and modify it for camping, as I hope to attend a van/RV camp out of town in early February.
        Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Big game hunting season here, has already came and went. Did have the privilege of helping a buddy get his first deer. Ran into some other hunters. They asked if we were the shot they heard. Told them yeah. They asked Deer or Elk. I told them deer. They ask how long we had been up here. I told them little less than 4 hours. I ask them if they had gotten anything. They said no, and they had been up there 4 days. I thought it was funny, they didn't.
          Off season hobbies? Atv riding, woodworking and being a dad. That's about all the time I have.
          Nights camped in 2019: 24
          Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

off season to me is spring with the melting snow and rains. Winter here is rich with snow and we like to play in it which includes camping.

During the wet spring, I usually get ready for summer camping by repackaging my camp gear and doing maintanance on gear.

Comment

Originally posted by a65hoosier View Post
              Ugh, I can feel your pain. I am still planning another winter camp trip for a couple of nights, but that obviously leaves many nights in Dec, Jan, Feb (what I consider "winter" here in IN) that are left open.

I do get out and hike regularly, regardless of weather. Winter days are some of the best times (for me at least) to hit the trails. Good exercise, very few people and no biting insects. Any wildlife out is easier to spot with the forests and hillsides bare. Winter makes for good photography.

I spend some time doing my annual cleanup and maintenance on my gear from this year's camping. Last weekend, I took apart both of my Coleman dual burner stoves and scrubbed/degreased/waxed the cases, cleaned the grates, etc. Lantern glass globes get a cleaning, dead bugs removed, and a cleaning and polishing/waxing of the founts, etc. Check and replace anything that is faulty (generators, valves, etc.)

I've ordered new reflective guy line cord and plan to re-tie lines for a Kelty tarp and two tents. I am tired of clothes-lining myself and/or tripping over lines at night so this is a priority for me.

Of course I poke around the forum here (and others) to placate myself and try to pick up some new techniques or learn about new equipment or new locations. Then I go and spend some time researching it online. I make plans now and execute them during the Spring/Summer/Fall.

Basically just a lot of miscellaneous things to keep busy until the weather turns better and I can get back into camping full force.
              Agreed! Hiking in the winter is by far the best time to go! I have the minimalistic amoujnt of camping gear, after an hour everything is cleaned. lol

Comment

My off season is the dead of summer - July and August. Around here, it's way too hot, way too humid and way too dusty to be out in the middle of it all. I spend most of that time doing what everyone else here does while waiting to get out - going through the gear, making sure it's ready and taking stock of what all needs to be eliminated. I also spend a lot of time browsing the online catalogs looking for "the next big item" I need. In that regard, I'm usually disappointed because part of my basement already looks like an outfitter's warehouse/military surplus store.

Comment

Hmm, hiking/dog walking, drives in the mountains to look for critters, an average day is seeing about 300 each elk and deer, and a few moose now and then. Depending on where I go, it may be bighorn sheep and buffalo also. Photography, chores around the house, shooting practice and fun, reloading shells, visiting with people, maybe travelling some. I'm hoping I can go visit freinds where I used to live, and may be able to work a little part time while there if my shoulder and back arent killing me. Its also a great place to sightsee, hike and camp. This is the general area,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X66x99zE1K8
                  Last edited by Malamute; 12-10-2014, 09:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                    My off season is the dead of summer - July and August. Around here, it's way too hot, way too humid and way too dusty to be out in the middle of it all.

Same here in sunny Florida. And our summer this year has been WET! Late autumn to midspring is prime camping season here. But hunting season does limit us from camping in the National Forest. My hunting buddy and I are planning some camping on the hunting lease this season. If I disappear then, you'll know the bear got me. :-)
                    Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

If it is above freezing, I go out on my kick scooter. My favorite is a Xootr MG, but my basic Razor A5 Lux is always folded up in my car trunk for spur of the moment rides. It was 60 degrees today (2 days before Christmas,) so I was able to hop on for a quick ride today while I was out and about.

I took up the ukulele a year ago after not playing any instrument for 40 years. It brings me such peace and joy. My go-to one is a Martin OXK soprano. It is part of Martin Guitar's High Pressure Laminate (HPL) X series. It does very well in camping environments, too, as it can take temperature and humidity changes better than a solid wood instrument.
                      - Laura
                      Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

o0o0o If you do go bear hunting, take a photo if you catch anything! I would love to see what you caught!

Comment

For me, winter has always been one of the most active camping seasons - camping in the snow. THIS year has been so warm that we have very little snow cover. Cross Country skiing opportunities are limited.

For once, winter has become an off-season and it is terrible. Ice too thin for ice-fishingl. Snow too little for skiing. Temps too warm so camping is wet.

Icky weather.

Comment

Gotta agree with the winter camping. We just had our first half way decent snowfall and all I could think about was that I wanted to be out in the woods to see it. My off season is summer. Maryland summers are too hot and humid to do much at all. I mean what's the fun in sweating while camping in dust, with bugs competing for your food and having to buy ice every other day?

Comment

Originally posted by actad View Post
                              I took up the ukulele a year ago after not playing any instrument for 40 years. It brings me such peace and joy.
                              Wait, Ukulele?

Have you heard these guys?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLgJ7pk0X-s

Comment

Working...
                              X