Mr. Heater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mr. Heater

I have asked for one of these heaters for Christmas. We have 3 boxers that come camping with us. While us humans have bags rated to 15F, our dogs aren't as cooperative with staying in a bag. Their hair is too short to provide any heat and even with dog blankets they get cold. I can't stand them shivering and there isn't enough room on the cots for each of us to have a 70lb dog in our bags. (trust me they would) This is our solution.

We have a 10x10 canvas tent with the side vents. I plan on leaving those vents open and dropping each door down 4-5 inches to let air flow in. As long as the dogs aren't up all night shivering, its worth it to me.

Comment

Your dogs will learn howto use blankets if they get cold. You can trust me on that one

Comment

Originally posted by dukesangel View Post
        We have a 10x10 canvas tent with the side vents. I plan on leaving those vents open and dropping each door down 4-5 inches to let air flow in. As long as the dogs aren't up all night shivering, its worth it to me.
        That's how I do it and it works just fine with one or two people. Might even fly with 3 people. But I think you'll run into a problem with all those dogs. The recommended clearances around the heater kind of limits the room in a 10 x 10.

Comment

My concern with the dogs would be that one or more would wake up during the night and move around - potentially knocking over the heater. While the heater has a tip-over shut off, it will still be extremely hot and could start a fire if it lands on something flammable.
          “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

I have asked for one of these heaters for Christmas. We have 3 boxers that come camping with us. While us humans have bags rated to 15F, our dogs aren't as cooperative with staying in a bag. Their hair is too short to provide any heat and even with dog blankets they get cold. I can't stand them shivering and there isn't enough room on the cots for each of us to have a 70lb dog in our bags. (trust me they would) This is our solution.

You know of course where this thread is going, don't you? :penguin:
            “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
            ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Getting the dogs their own sleeping bags http://www.9news.com/story/life/pets...dogs/20085479/
              “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
                My concern with the dogs would be that one or more would wake up during the night and move around - potentially knocking over the heater. While the heater has a tip-over shut off, it will still be extremely hot and could start a fire if it lands on something flammable.

That is also a concern of mine. I'm currently plotting ways to keep it from tipping. My major thought is putting in a chaffing dish on top of a cooler. The dogs generally stay in the middle of the tent because of the cot configuration. Just thoughts at the moment.

And I have tried the sleeping bags. They just aren't that bright. They're "precious".

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                  That's how I do it and it works just fine with one or two people. Might even fly with 3 people. But I think you'll run into a problem with all those dogs. The recommended clearances around the heater kind of limits the room in a 10 x 10.

Hmm interesting point I didn't think of. I'll have to see the set up and clearance recommendations once I get it..

Comment

Hmm interesting point I didn't think of. I'll have to see the set up and clearance recommendations once I get it..
                    From the manual:
                    Top: 30 inches
                    Front: 24 inches
                    Sides: 6 inches
                    Rear: Zero

I would add that the floor of my tent heated up to the point where I was uncomfortable leaving it alone. I solved the problem by putting about a foot of aluminum foil down in front of the heater.

Comment

What type of CO detector do you use?

Comment

Used a Mr. Heater while camping in Colorado in late October 2014. Site was at 9,875 ft and received two feet of snow four days into the trip. Used C0-C02 detector and it never went off. Temperature outside dropped to 17 degrees Fahrenheit one night and had no trouble staying warm.

Comment

Am embarrassed to put this on here, but we camped in Wyoming on our way to CA, with our teenage daughter many years ago. Wind was steady and about 40 degrees, wind chill God knows what. Had sleeping bag heaters (Chemical from Campmor)and hats and slept great and cozy. BUT had to get up and dressed to travel on. Well, Of course with a teenager girl, we had "stuff", and one thing was a hair dryer. We had 50 foot extension cord, ran it from somewhere - I forgot, and used the hairdryer to heat the 6 sided tent, and voila, worked great ! You may laugh...

Comment

Originally posted by noelectricplease View Post
                            Am embarrassed to put this on here...
                            Nothing to be embarrassed about when being resourceful!

Comment

Working...
                            X