Retro hiking boots are back?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retro hiking boots are back?

In case you haven't heard, Reese Witherspoon is in a movie called WILD that has a retro backpacking theme. In the movie, the main character wears old school hiking boots that were SOOOooooo popular from mid 1970's to early 1980's.

The best like Vasque, Reichle, Herman Survivors had thick vibram soles, single piece molded leather, welt stitching, and the obligatory red laces. Beautiful and functional.... and heavy as hardwood logs.

Danner is producing a repop of the old style boots. They aren't cheap at around $200, but good boots were never cheap.

Of course, back in the day, I had a nice pair of hiking boots and wore them out only after thousands of miles of hiking and decades of use. I appreciated that I could walk on sharp rocks and through swamps and clank my ankles against boulders and my feet were always protected.

After that, I followed the softer, lightweight trends in boots until finally, "boots" became a lot more like tennis sports shoes than the leather stompers I grew up with.

Recently, I returned to the old style boot with Vibram soles and welt stitching and single piece high quality upper leather. I LOVE THEM. If you can deal with the weight and the cost, treat yourself to a nice pair - you might have to buy used to get a really excellent pair.

What trends are you guys seeing? Are the old style hiking boots worth revisiting?

Re: Retro hiking boots are back?

Great topic! I'm not sure if what I have owned over the past 16 years would be considered "retro", but I do like that style of solid leather and a heavier boot. Great ankle protection and stability. Danner's like above are definitely heavy, solid, and pricey. Top notch.

I had a pair of Asolo FSN 95 gtx's that were tough as nails and somewhat heavy (1 lb 6 oz each). Also very stiff, despite being well broken in, but I loved them. These things would go through about anything. After almost 12 years, I finally blew out the sole. You can still get them...about $215 (cheaper obviously during sales):

I decided to switch up to a somewhat lighter boot about 4 years ago after the Asolo's bit the dust. Mainly because of where/how I hike, I no longer needed a heavy boot. I looked at some modern style fabric boots, but I liked the leather look. I found and tried on a pair of Keen Pyrenees. Not as heavy as my old Asolo's (Keen = 1 lb 3 oz each), and not quite as stable, but they fit my foot like a glove. On sale + a gift card, so I bought them. Very little work required for break-in. Still holding up well, no problems with the quality, however, not as good of traction as I would prefer in slushy conditions (not a Vibram sole). No longer available...they listed for about $150 (I should put some red laces on them!)

I have a wide foot...so comfort in width is important. That, and ankle protection since I tend to be a clumsy hiker. :(

Last edited by a65hoosier; 11-28-2014, 08:45 AM. Reason: fix weights listed
    2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
    Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
    Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
    Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Hoosier, it is impressive that your Asolo FSN lasted 12 years. 1.5 lbs per boot is not bad compared with the old school hiking boots that probably weighed 2.5 lbs.+ per boot.

My old school waffle stompers lasted about 30 years. I wore them almost every day through high school and college in addition to backpacking long and often after that. They were heavy, but I did not notice it at the time.

There is such a thing as boot overkill too. When hiking above tree line in the Rocky Mountains, the heavy duty all leather Vibram sole "waffle stomper" hiking boot was a must to protect your feet and provide ankle support around the jagged rocks. I walked to school every day in High School and college in Wisconsin which meant stomping though snow and slush daily in winter and they held up well for that too.

However, when hiking the lower woodlands of Wisconsin with a thick soft carpet of pine needles and loam, a pair of thin single layer leather moccasins proved ideal. I make them myself and line them with felt soles. They grip moss covered roots and stones well and they dry off quickly after walking through streams.
      Last edited by Mike; 11-29-2014, 12:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
        However, when hiking the lower woodlands of Wisconsin with a thick soft carpet of pine needles and loam, a pair of thin single layer leather moccasins proved ideal. I make them myself and line them with felt soles. They grip moss covered roots and stones well and they dry off quickly after walking through streams.
        I hike that type of terrain here in Indiana, which may help explain the longevity of my boots. Like WI, there is no tree line in IN. About the only rocks I encounter are those in the streams/creeks when I decide to rockhop and follow their course.

Funny you mentioned moss covered roots and rocks...that IS something I frequently find. The only time I've injured myself hiking was sliding down a moss covered rock. Crammed my foot down between two rocks and fractured my small toe. :(
        2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
        Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
        Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
        Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

I've used the hiking type in the past, but found I liked more ankle support and protection. I started with loggers, Georgias self destructed in only several months, Red Wings, 30 years ago, were great, but went drastically downhill over time. The last couple pair lasted less than a year. I got full credit back on the last pair and applied it to some Hathorn Smoke Jumpers, and cant recall ever being as happy with a boot. Not great for really wet snowy conditions, but I love them for most uses, including being on my feet working all day, or walking all day. After breaking them in, I never have sore feet at the end of the day no matter what I was doing. I use the $20 Spenco insoles in them, and heavy wool socks for hiking.

I'm on the third set of Vibram soles, and they had one lower rebuild, mainly necessitated by my lack of timely maintenance.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Malamute; 11-29-2014, 10:13 AM.

Comment

In 1991 I purchased a pair of Danner winter hiking boots originally to walk the dogs. We were walking them 4 miles a day back then. I have worn those boots a lot and they still are like new. My feet stay dry and never get cold wearing them. They are stiff and heavy, but I really can't find a reason to replace them. I have never had to replace the soles. I only wear them when it snows, but I am still amazed they don't wear out.

Comment

my favorite boots i ever had were a pair of HH browns,
              they cost about $200 in about 1990
              had them up until mid 2000's when they were stolen
              15 yrs old with many miles on them and were still great boots

Comment

Those kickass boots never went out of style here, they're simply called "the good ones" and "the expensive kind" and are still sold alongside the $50 pairs of soft-upper approach boots that aren't intended to provide ankle support for carrrying 50+ pound backpacks.
                Last edited by tplife; 12-03-2014, 11:09 PM.
                “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

LLBean's Cresta Hikers are very popular here in New England. All leather traditional hiking boot made in Europe (Romania) by an Italian boot maker, AKU.

They are available in an all leather and a leather/canvas version, both with GoreTex liners. The only concession to modern technology is Vibram treads, rather than sewn-on soles.

A mid-duty design, not super stiff. They require little or no break-in. Not as stiff as the Asolos above, but way more substantial than the Keens. Great for day hiking on rough terrain or moderate backpacking.

I think the leather versions are up to $239 pair now, but with Bean's awesome warranty. Plus they are availble in narrow and wide widths so you can get a good fit.
                  Last edited by hwc1954; 12-03-2014, 11:40 PM.

Comment

One thing I notice is the different grip of different soles.

I was hiking with a friend a few days ago on ice and snow.

My boots had Vibram soles which I thought had reasonable grip, but not outstanding. .my friends soles looked a little more plastic. Sure enough, he was slipping and sliding like a puppy on new Linolium.

I guess in retrospect, Vibram soles have better grip than most.

Comment

Sorry guys, I kinda like the new stuff. I've been wearing these Salomon Nytro GTX for about three years and they are just plan awesome. The pair comes in at less than 2 lbs. Their good for -13 and not too warm to wear in the summer in your in the mountains. I have really bad ankles but I have yet to turn one in these.
                      Attached Files

Comment

I've found that the "air bob" or round nubs work great in snow. The give good traction and dont load up with snow. I have them on a set of Sorrel pacs.

I agree about Vibrams being pretty good all around. They do load up with snow though. Vibrams are fantastic on rocks and mixed rocky terrain. The steep sandstone in the Sedona area were not the least trouble with vibrams, nor the steep rock slides in the northern Rockies.

Comment

Working...
                        X