new backpacking boom?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new backpacking boom?

I confess that I was part of the big backpacking boom of the 1970's and 1980's.

Like the bicycle boom of the 1970's, backpacking didn't disappear after the 1990's, but it sure did seem to fall off the face of the planet compared with what it was.

Lately, I am seeing a lot more offerings for backpacking equipment; new stoves, new backpacks, new boot designs. There is enthusiasm for ultra-lite hiking.

I am also starting to see a few more folks on the trails. Well, not really hard-core, but the state forest lean-to shelters are booked solid.

I don't know for sure, but I HOPE that many of these enthusiasts are young folks discovering the joys of America's fantastic parks, forests, and trail systems.

What are you guys seeing? Is there a new backpacking boom going on?

Re: new backpacking boom?

I think its always been popular to a degree. I did some backpacking in the 80's, and would like to do some again if I can get my back and shoulder rehab'ed after surgery.

I wasn't very light weight, though can certainly see the attraction of lightweight gear. At the time I was about 145 lbs, and carried a 75-80 lb pack. After getting used to it for several weekends (and feeling like I was going to die a wheezing, croaking death), I was able to pack out of the canyon I had been packing into without any stops. It was only a couple miles in, but was a couple thousand feet elevation climb I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by Malamute View Post
      I think its always been popular to a degree. I did some backpacking in the 80's, and would like to do some again if I can get my back and shoulder rehab'ed after surgery.

I wasn't very light weight, though can certainly see the attraction of lightweight gear. At the time I was about 145 lbs, and carried a 75-80 lb pack. After getting used to it for several weekends (and feeling like I was going to die a wheezing, croaking death), I was able to pack out of the canyon I had been packing into without any stops. It was only a couple miles in, but was a couple thousand feet elevation climb I believe.
      If you carried 80 lbs when you weighed 145 lbs, then that was 55% of your body weight which would be hellacious for a recreational backpacker. Usually, not more than 30% is recommended.

I talked some marines who told me that they often would carry 170 lb packs for 15 mile marches. MORE THAN THEIR OWN BODY WEIGHT!!! That by itself is reason enough not to join the marines... That and the "first to fight, first to die" thing...

Comment

Yes. It was what I had, though the pack itself wsnt too bad. I used a WWII (I believe) era aluminum channel cargo pack with an Alice pack adapted to it, and a 10x12 canvas tarp for a shelter. I often took some canned stuff also, and water. Like I said, I went every weekend for a while, and after about the first 3 times, the weight of the pack didn't bother me, I could forge on and it didn't bother me. The first trip out of the canyon I forced myself to go 100 paces before collapsing, the next time I stopped less, about the 3rd time, I stopped twice, after that, I didn't have to stop at all and felt OK after getting out of the canyon.

I was working in a bike shop at the time. At first I got help to lift a Harley motor up on the bench from the floor. After getting in shape working and hiking, I could pick one up alone and put it about anywhere I wanted to. I think I put on about 20 lbs of upper body muscle in the first year or two.
        Last edited by Malamute; 11-29-2014, 11:42 AM.

Comment

Malamute, that is pretty hard core. I think a lot of us pre-millennials started out with crude equipment: old WWII/Korea War leftover stuff, canvas tents, torture packs. When I started working regular at age 15, the first thing I started investing in was good backpacking gear... That and Beatles albums.

Comment

Lately I have had a desire (I haven't had a chance to act on it yet) to go backpacking. I have never done it before so I am going to say 'yes', there is a boom going on. My brother is down with it as well.
            “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
            – E. B. White

Comment

I am going to say no. Since I live in the foothills of Colorado, hiking and back packing has never went out of style. Matter of fact there are to many people doing it. It's to damn crowded here.
              Nights camped in 2019: 24
              Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Interesting perspective, Kingquad. We did see a slow down in the midwest.

I find that if you hike more than about three days in and do it mid-week, you will have the forest to yourself. Same for canoeing the Boundary Waters. Most folks dont have time to go more than three days in, three days out. So. The trails get grown over and sparce if you travel to areas that take more than three days to travel by foot or canoe.

Comment

I backpacked twice. 5th grade and 6th grade. Two of our 3 6th grade teachers established a yearly "graduation camping trip" for the students. The 6th graders would do fundraisers to pay for everything. Then they'd get together in groups of 2 to 4 students to go food shopping, splitting up the food for backpacking in, etc. They'd take a bus to just north of the Golden Gate Bridge, then all the kids would grab their backpacks and hike down to Kirby Cove. We'd spend 2 nights and 3 days, then hike back up the hill to the bus.

When I was in 5th grade, they had combined 5th and 6th graders into the 3 classes and the one teacher decided that he wasn't going to let his students go on the camping trip. So the other 2 teachers made it a "Lusk student camping trip" (they were Mr. and Mrs. Lusk - married). So, I got to go in 5th grade. Of course, I bit into a piece of bubble gum the first afternoon out and popped my cap. Had to have the principal drive out and get me the next morning, go to the dentist and get a temp cap put on, then he drove me back out that afternoon.

The next year, the 3rd teacher caved, so it became "6th graders only" again. And since I was in 6th grade, I got to go back.

Never backpacked again, but camped every year and hiked. If I remember correctly, I think we had a 15 or 20lb limit for our backpacks.

Oh, and we were forbidden to go into the ocean (we had a campfire on the beach). If the adults saw wet shoes, the kid had to go back to camp. Most of the weight in our backpacks was shoes. If we got wet, we'd sneak back to camp, change our shoes, and come back down.
                  “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Backpacking boom? I don't think so, unless it's guys like me who are getting up in age, and realize we don't have to carry 40 lb. packs any more. From what I've seen most "backpackers" don't spend more than a day on the trail.
                    2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

I agree with others here. I don't think there's a "boom" going on - at least from my perspective.

I simply think you're seeing new products because there have been good advancements in technology/new light weight fibers. Most of the people I see buying new gear in REI - are folks that are "trading up" into new gear. Not "first timers" or those that are relatively new to the sport.
                      Nights camping in 2014: 18
                      Nights camping in 2015: 24
                      Nights camping in 2016: 20

North Face Tadpole 23 - Mountain Hardwear Casa 6 - Guide Gear 18x18 Teepee

Comment

The
                        Originally posted by Mike View Post
                        Interesting perspective, Kingquad. We did see a slow down in the midwest.

I find that if you hike more than about three days in and do it mid-week, you will have the forest to yourself. Same for canoeing the Boundary Waters. Most folks dont have time to go more than three days in, three days out. So. The trails get grown over and sparce if you travel to areas that take more than three days to travel by foot or canoe.
                        3days? Lol
                        Here go 1/2 mile and your good
                        There is 1 popular waterfall about 1/4 mile in
                        Downhill getting there and slight uphill back
                        9 out of 10 people headed back are huffing and puffing take breaks

Comment

Working...
                        X