Cooler suggestion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cooler suggestion

It seems like upgrading coolers is a good idea. Especially for the 3 day (and beyond) camping trips you know. I went to Amazon and just did a blanket search for "3 day coolers" They don't explicitly say 3 day coolers. In the descriptions it says will keep ice for 3 days, 5 days, etc. The reviewers speak highly of them. But I thought I would ask the gurus, and seasoned veterans of camping. Would you recommend the Igloo Max Cold: like this , or this, or this behemoth. Or would you recommend the Coleman Extreme. I'm leaning to the coleman as it is the slimist, and I think it will fit in my scion XB the best. Need to double check though somehow. Looks like good prices on Amazon if you're looking to upgrade. I really wish I could have found one that is some what slim and blaze orange (school colors (SHSU)).

Re: Cooler suggestion

I have had a Coleman Extreme 5 day cooler for a few years now. Really pleased with it to date-no issues. A really good value for the performance....a lotta bang for your buck.
    2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
    Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
    Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
    Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

I ended up getting an igloo as it was just so good for the $. The only legitimate review I could find that compared the coolers put the Coleman at better performance, but they both worked great for the 5 days they are advertised for. If my memory serves me right, the igloo lasted 6 days, and the Coleman lasted 7. Both in identical conditions, being tested at the same time taking temps inside, and outside. Since the igloo was half the cost, and a great performer (beyond what it is advertised for), I went with it.

On another note, I wrote this post weeks ago (almost a month ago). I kept checking back after writing it and never saw it posted. I gave up checking after a few days. I've mentioned this before, but this is silly and frustrating. Everything I write takes forever to go through. Do I still need to be moderated? could you get more or more proactive moderators? If that is in fact the problem.

Comment

Your up to 7 posts, so your posts should show up now. The moderation period is 6 posts, so you should be set now.
        Nights camped in 2019: 24
        Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

That's good to know. Truly, I am glad. That doesn't address the problem though.

Comment

Originally posted by corbmonster View Post
            On another note, I wrote this post weeks ago (almost a month ago). I kept checking back after writing it and never saw it posted. I gave up checking after a few days. I've mentioned this before, but this is silly and frustrating. Everything I write takes forever to go through. Do I still need to be moderated? could you get more or more proactive moderators? If that is in fact the problem.
            There did seem to be quite a long delay recently in getting newly registered member posts moderated (not sure why-I can't answer and don't have a solution). You should now be beyond the moderated stage and see your posts immediately - so contribute away!

The Igloo should be a fine choice. Much of a cooler's performance, at least for the 5/6 day advertised ones with decent insulation, depends on using good cooler practices anyhow (pre-cool it, cool/freeze bevs/food as applicable, use block ice, limit amt of openings, keep cooler in shade, fill it completely, etc.). I use separate coolers for bevs/snacks (opened often per day) and one for meats/main meal foods (opened once/twice a day).

lol....I won't go anywhere near the debate on whether to drain/don't drain the water from the cooler.
            Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
            Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
            Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Marine coolers are all we use. Currently enamored of the Coleman.
              - Laura
              Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

I have a few coolers, but the one that seems to work the best is a Coleman steel belted cooler. I will not buy a Yeti, or similar , just because I don't want to worry about people stealing it. I did have my wife sew me a cooler cover that helps a lot to stretch out my ice. It is a denim cover with the foil covered bubble wrap inside. Just keeping the sun off a metal cooler helps. A friend used an old sleeping bag that they cut up and sewed into a cover. Works well also.

looks like this...

Comment

Very good idea!

Comment

Yes. good idea

Comment

AHA !!!! I sew and did not think of cooler covers !!!!!!!!! GREAT idea for me !!! Thanx

Comment

AND This is something I can do NOW while the weather is so ugly !!!!

Comment

Suspecting that the big 3 cooler manufacturers are likely using very similar construction, you may do very well by simply updating your current cooler. Consider also that Bluestar99's cooler blanket works because it insulates the cooler from outside surfaces - anything you do to insulate your cooler's contents from getting warm will make the ice, and thereby your cold contents, stay that way longer. Another feature your cooler needs is a drain so you can keep your ice insulated, draining it periodically so it's only exposed to air or solids...And please, please spare me the lectures about some famous cooler marketing people who do not understand conductivity. After all, you probably would not want me to paint your car.
                          “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                          ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

I throw a space blanket over any cooler I'm using. Seems to help a lot.

Comment

Yep - I wrap an old wool blanket around mine and secure with a bungy.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X