Cooler suggestion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cooler suggestion

I have two Coleman Five Day coolers, the larger one works very well, has the drain plug, and keeps ice for a few days.
    The smaller wheeled style doesn't work as well. Solid ice works best, and lasts longer than crushed ice bought in bags.
    If the weather is hot, I wrap it with an old GI blanket.
    Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

I picked up a Yeti Tundra 45 (almost new) at a garage sale in Island Park this fall for $50. I love this cooler. It keeps ice for days with almost no melt. They are heavy. The 45 isn't too bad to lift. Originally I'd dreamed about a 250 or 420 for elk camps but one person almost can't lift them empty. Since I moved up here, my base camp is my cabin so my needs have changed. Up here we grocery shop once a month after a 1.5 hour drive to Idaho Falls. Having a cooler to store meat, etc. without much ice while we do the rest of the shopping and drive home is great!
      FlashLantern turns your flashlight into a lantern!

Comment

WOW, a 50.00 Yeti. What a bargain. I camp friend has one, and loves it. I'm just afraid I would be afraid it does not walk away. Most of my camping is in developed camp grounds.

Comment

Originally posted by bluestar99 View Post
          WOW, a 50.00 Yeti. What a bargain. I camp friend has one, and loves it. I'm just afraid I would be afraid it does not walk away. Most of my camping is in developed camp grounds.
          My feeling exactly bluestar99. I lock up everything when I leave the campsite unattended. (well-except for the tent/sleeping bags).

MikeB - THAT is a a true garage sale find! I bet your eyes lit up when you saw it there for sale at that price. Amazing.
          2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
          Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
          Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
          Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

I'd use one of these to lock my cooler down if I left it outside in a campground.

Comment

I was ecstatic! $350 is a lot to pay for a cooler. Most people have a hard time putting that in their budget. If you do make that investment, it has to be considered a one-time purchase. It is similar to my Leica binoculars. I guard them with my life because I'll never spend a grand on another pair! There is a lot of stuff up here that comes up when someone liquidates a family cabin before it can be sold. I started a business last year where I go into those cabins, de-junk them and leave only the items in them that the owner/Realtor wants. Part of the deal is that I get to keep any of the items not left behind. I am thinking about opening a vintage furniture/second-hand store up here.

Comment

MikeB - Ha! I use similar Master Lock 6ft looped cables (3 of them but with separate locks) and string 2 them through my stove, stands, chairs, and cooler handles. When I hike for the day, I loop the remaining one around the picnic table support (or fire ring grate) and lock it to the other cables to secure everything together. I'm sure if someone really wanted to take the "stuff", and they had the proper tools they could, but this makes it a bit more difficult for it to just walk away. Sad, but it gives me some peace of mind while I am out and about.
                2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
                Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
                Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
                Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by a65hoosier View Post
                  MikeB - Ha! I use similar Master Lock 6ft looped cables (3 of them but with separate locks) and string 2 them through my stove, stands, chairs, and cooler handles. When I hike for the day, I loop the remaining one around the picnic table support (or fire ring grate) and lock it to the other cables to secure everything together. I'm sure if someone really wanted to take the "stuff", and they had the proper tools they could, but this makes it a bit more difficult for it to just walk away. Sad, but it gives me some peace of mind while I am out and about.
                  That's why I never stay in campgrounds. I set up my wall tent for a week to a month at a time. People up here generally don't rifle thru a back country camp because everyone is armed and one never know when the camp owner might return!

Comment

Working...
                  X