Just can't stop myself...16 degrees outside and I'm tent camping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just can't stop myself...16 degrees outside and I'm tent camping

Well...since the Tent Camping section of the forum has been generally quiet lately, I thought I would post up a quick update and picture of my latest camp out. I refuse to give up my camping and decided to give my gear and preparations a "real" cold weather test. I set-up the tent in the backyard (this was after all, only a test - I figured I could always run inside if I was miserable) and gave it a go. I asked if anyone in the family wanted to join me and they looked at me like I was nuts so I had no takers, but hey, I was bored and thought what the heck.

I hunkered down in the tent as a total of 4+" of snow fell during the evening. Temps were 30 degrees when I went inside. To stay occupied I basically played on the laptop and later watched my Colts get manhandled and run over by the Patriots. :(

By this morning, the temps had dropped to 16 degrees with a 3 degree wind chill. Overall, not too bad of an experience, but I was dressed to the max. My face/nose was pretty cold even though I was wearing a balaclava. Ok in the sleeping bag and on the sleep pad, but getting out of a warm bag and into the cold is still a tough thing. Burrrrr! lol. I've put a Mr. Heater Buddy heater on my Christmas wishlist just for this purpose. Think it will help take the chill off while I am awake (but I'll turn it off while I'm sleeping).

I also had a small amount of frozen condensation on the inner tent walls. Perhaps I should have left more than one interior vent open and/or maybe because all of my fly vents down low were blocked by snow? Not sure...maybe just the way it is. Other than that, the tent held up well under the snow load and the wind. Rock solid. I really do love this tent.

Anyhow, the next opportunity for an "official" trip will come later this winter with my son as he transitions from a Webelo II to a Boy Scout (they have a winter camp out coming up in 2015). This was simply a practice run to test my setup, gear, and techniques. A little more refinement, maybe another piece of gear or two, and we should be good to go. Better to learn in the backyard than in the field.

A picture of the tent before I take it down and hang it in the garage to dry/air out. Take care fellow campers-thanks for lookin!

2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
    Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
    Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
    Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Re: Just can't stop myself...16 degrees outside and I'm tent camping

Hah, I watched my Pats dismantle your Colts while curled up on the couch under a down sleeping bag wearing a fleece hoodie and fleece pants! Full unabomber outfit for football.

Yeah, with the snow piled up at the bottom of the fly, you would have had very little ventilation. That would account for some condensation, although I'm not sure it would ever be avoidable at 16 degrees!

Comment

I'd be careful with a Mr. Heater in that tent. The safe clearances for top, sides and front don't leave much room. Even in my 10x10 Kodiak, I have to watch what's in front of it. I've even taken to sitting the heater on a long sheet of aluminum foil because of how much it heats up the floor. And, in a tent with anything less than standing room, especially nylon, I'd be leery of using one for fear of damaging/melting the top.

Comment

hwc - As you are well aware, your darn Pats have been a thorn in my Colts side for many years. Great rivalry. It's always a "circled" date on the schedule here. You guys are definitely in the driver's seat for a #1 or #2 seed in the AFC. Should be fun to see how the season wraps up.

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
        I'd be careful with a Mr. Heater in that tent. The safe clearances for top, sides and front don't leave much room. Even in my 10x10 Kodiak, I have to watch what's in front of it. I've even taken to sitting the heater on a long sheet of aluminum foil because of how much it heats up the floor. And, in a tent with anything less than standing room, especially nylon, I'd be leery of using one for fear of damaging/melting the top.
        Agree with you MacGyver - thus I am struggling with this decision (I think this is a good topic...not just for experienced campers here but also for those new to the forum).

Not only am I leery about using any kind of fuel style heater in a tent due to the possibility of CO poisoning, but the thought of melting/burning the tent nylon and/or my sleeping pads/sleeping bags are also a factor. I use a couple of heavy duty Italian army surplus wool blankets on the floor of the tent for general floor protection-so I suppose those would help prevent a careless melt of the floor, but they don't help the tent ceiling or objects which might get too close.

The Cloudpeak 4 is about 9'7" by 8'6", but only has a 4'8" interior height. It has 3 large triangular ceiling vents and 3 windows that I can open to release some heat....but opening them all would defeat the heater's purpose-suppose that's a balancing act. About the only thing that would give me comfort in using one of these heaters is that I would only use it when I am in the tent and wide awake, so I should be able to monitor the heat output and direction...and I would only it in a short blast just to take off the chill (it's really difficult changing clothes inside the sleeping bag!)

A typical electric ceramic heater running at 1500 W would produce about 5,112 BTU's (1500w x 3.412).

Rather than the more powerful Mr Heater Buddy heater, what do you all think of the following, each of which produces less than 5,000 btu's on high? More directional angled heat. I'd still have to provide ventilation, but would either of these be a better, somewhat safer solution because of their lower output? Has anyone out there used one of these?

Mr Heater Little Buddy Heater (3,800 max BTU's):
        http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-F215...r+little+buddy

Coleman Blackcat PerfecTemp Catalytic Heater (3,000 max BTU's):
        http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-Bl...eater/13228605

Lowest output...Coleman Sportcat PerfecTemp Catalytic Heater (1,500 max BTU's):
        http://www.buildingsupplyplus.com/4176_page_1557771.htm

Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
        Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
        Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

I didn't mind winter camping too much when I was camping more. I had pretty cushy tents to camp in though. The tipi was great, I had an open fire inside and it was shirtsleeves comfortable inside when it was zero outside. I have a Sims folding woodstove for the wall tent, it makes it pretty comfortable. Taking your whole bed and frame from home makes it comfortable too. :D

I used to sleep out under the stars down to a bit below zero. I think I'm over that now.

Last edited by Malamute; 11-18-2014, 09:28 AM. Reason: add visual media effects

Comment

A warm teepee is as reliable as a close friend, a trusted wife, or a good dog...Our experiences in sub-zero (overnight) winter temps
            have been happy ones, with only a hissing Coleman NorthStar propane lantern taking the chill off the night's air before bed and on the morning rise - but that is possible because we only use dual-layer tents with full-coverage rainflies. They achieve both a warmer enclave and condensation control. AFA the slight frozen condensation inside - this is totally normal and expected in winter tenting. Love the snow shot!

Many happy returns!
            Last edited by tplife; 11-18-2014, 07:23 PM.
            “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
            ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

I picked up the Mr. Heater Little Buddy for my RV. Rather than the expense of the RV's propane heater and heavy-battery use fan, I figured I could counter the chill factor with the Little Buddy.

I've only tried it once so far (will get more use on my next trip), but it worked well. It does seem pretty easy to tip over - I set it in my stainless steel sink so it can't hurt anything.

My trial run, it worked well. I had it on about an hour and I could feel the difference. It wasn't cold enough to use any longer.

My plan is to use it before getting ready for bed to warm things up, and then again in the a.m. to warm things up before getting up (I'll hop out of bed, light it, and hop right back into bed). 2 hours each max and the most I'd use is 1 tank per day.
              “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Originally posted by Malamute View Post
                Taking your whole bed and frame from home makes it comfortable too. :D
                lol...I suppose it would! Even if I could take mine, the wife wouldn't be very happy missing the bedl! Nice teepee!

Originally posted by tplife View Post
                A warm teepee is as reliable as a close friend, a trusted wife, or a good dog...Our experiences in sub-zero (overnight) winter temps
                have been happy ones, with only a hissing Coleman NorthStar propane lantern taking the chill off the night's air before bed and on the morning rise - but that is possible because we only use dual-layer tents with full-coverage rainflies. They achieve both a warmer enclave and condensation control. AFA the slight frozen condensation inside - this is totally normal and expected in winter tenting. Love the snow shot!

Many happy returns!
                I truly forgot about bringing the propane lantern inside with me-geesh-it was just in the garage. :( I figured the condensation probably was normal. The last time I slept outside at these temps was a long time ago at a winter jamboree in scouts (I was 12)...and the tent we used had no floor...so the wind blowing under the side walls kept condensation, and any heat, at a bare minimum. lol. I had to take a snow shot...my non-camping friends thought I was nuts when I shared it with them. Actually, it probably just reinforced their thoughts about me....

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
                I picked up the Mr. Heater Little Buddy for my RV. Rather than the expense of the RV's propane heater and heavy-battery use fan, I figured I could counter the chill factor with the Little Buddy.

I've only tried it once so far (will get more use on my next trip), but it worked well. It does seem pretty easy to tip over - I set it in my stainless steel sink so it can't hurt anything.

My trial run, it worked well. I had it on about an hour and I could feel the difference. It wasn't cold enough to use any longer.

My plan is to use it before getting ready for bed to warm things up, and then again in the a.m. to warm things up before getting up (I'll hop out of bed, light it, and hop right back into bed). 2 hours each max and the most I'd use is 1 tank per day.
                Thank you for your initial thoughts/review of the Little Buddy. My plan of use is about the same as yours, so it may serve my needs. I also thought it looked a little "tippy", so I'll have to find something (coffee can?) to set it in/on to stabilize. If anything, I can use it as a backup heat source in the house if/when the power goes out or out in the garage when I am out there working.

Thanks everyone!

sigpic

Comment

I'd try one of those small oblong galvanized wash tubs. You want it long enough so that when it tips, the actual heated part falls in/on the metal, rather than tipping onto something flammable. The "face" gets very hot and even though it has a "tip over shut off", the face will stay hot for a while. The coffee can will just tip over with it and the face will still fall onto the bedding.

I should be trying it out T-day weekend, so I'll give you a more detailed review at that time.
                  “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Interesting -- the Little Buddy costs LESS at Gander Mountain than it does at Amazon!
                    Mike Hampton
                    If it's "it is," it's "it's" otherwise it's "its."

Comment

I'd try one of those small oblong galvanized wash tubs. You want it long enough so that when it tips, the actual heated part falls in/on the metal, rather than tipping onto something flammable. The "face" gets very hot and even though it has a "tip over shut off", the face will stay hot for a while. The coffee can will just tip over with it and the face will still fall onto the bedding.

I should be trying it out T-day weekend, so I'll give you a more detailed review at that time.
                      toedtoes - definitely give a more detailed review after you get a chance to use it on T-day weekend. I'd be interested in hearing how it worked for you...pros/cons.

Also, you made an excellent point regarding my thoughts on using a coffee can (skip that bad idea). Been doing some add'l research and there were several reviews on the Little Buddy that indicated that the unit does get "tippy" as the propane cylinder empties and lightens up. I wonder if something like this below would do the trick stabilizing the unit due to the swing out feet. Can also be used for propane lanterns (in fact, I'm going to go back into my storage area and see what kind of base was used on a couple of propane lanterns that I have-they're old...pre-1990, so maybe they use something similar that I could just re-use for this purpose):

Stansport Propane Cylinder Base ($7 or so). Easy to pack.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mhampton View Post
                        Interesting -- the Little Buddy costs LESS at Gander Mountain than it does at Amazon!
                        Wow..that is amazing - over $15 less! Good info. Generally (not always), I find Gander to be on the higher side when it comes to pricing. I may pop in to check it out...Gander Mountain is only about 20 minutes away from me. We're fortunate here in Indy with the presence of so many brick/mortar stores...REI, Gander Mountain, Dick's, and by next year, a Cabelas.

sigpic

Comment

I find a lot of places that have a lower price than Amazon. UNTIL I compare shipping costs. Most other places cannot deliver within 5 days without a $20+ shipping charge. If there's no rush, then it works. But if you need it within the week, Amazon will beat the others (especially if you have Prime).

I'm not sure on that stand. The weight of the Little Buddy is all in the face - so by design, the balance is off-centered. I'm not sure what the best solution would be. Maybe a heavy board base and attach the base to that permanently?

Comment

I find a lot of places that have a lower price than Amazon. UNTIL I compare shipping costs. Most other places cannot deliver within 5 days without a $20+ shipping charge. If there's no rush, then it works. But if you need it within the week, Amazon will beat the others (especially if you have Prime).

I'm not sure on that stand. The weight of the Little Buddy is all in the face - so by design, the balance is off-centered. I'm not sure what the best solution would be. Maybe a heavy board base and attach the base to that permanently?
                            Agreed that it is tough to beat Amazon Prime.....but I've even found some items at REI to be price-competitive with Amazon lately. And since I have an REI just a few blocks from my office - I have the items shipped to the store (free shipping). Plus then, I get to oogle and drool over all the other cool equipment while I'm there picking up the items I ordered.
                            Nights camping in 2014: 18
                            Nights camping in 2015: 24
                            Nights camping in 2016: 20

North Face Tadpole 23 - Mountain Hardwear Casa 6 - Guide Gear 18x18 Teepee

Comment

I bought one of the 'Big Buddy' heaters earlier this year because my wife HATES being cold and we thought this would be a good way to keep the tent warm or at least take the edge off. Worst night of sleep I have ever had camping. To be fair there wasn't a problem and we had it running on high. She said it helped but I was so worried about the stupid thing that I didn't get any sleep.

We took it back as she wants to get the bigger one but I think I am going to get her a better sleeping pad and see if that helps.
                              “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                              – E. B. White

Comment

Working...
                              X