Holiday Recipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holiday Recipes

Calling in all camping friends? What are you cooking in the theme of Thanksgiving as well as Christmas? Is anyone camping for the holidays? Are there any amazing techniques to cook some delicious desserts by the fire?

Anyhoo I hope you all have a wonderful upcoming holiday!
    Visit www.gearspoke.com for all of your rental needs!

Re: Holiday Recipes

I will be camping on the couch for Thanksgiving. Only half the family this year so we each have a few more things to make. This year I will inject the Turkey and Spatchcock the bird. That should make for juicier breasts. We all want that ,right? Then the usual trimmings.

Comment

I'm hitting a fairly local campground with friends for Tday. Nothing special for the meal except for homemade whipped cream. I might even make waffles in the morning.
      “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

This Thanksgiving I will again be making the Trash can turkey.
        My neighbor showed me this a few years ago. He sometimes does it on an overnight float trip (I think just to show off). I have not done it camping yet but it would be great for a larger group camping trip. It has been the best, most moist turkey I have ever had. I sugest giving it a trial run before you risk being the one to mess us the bird for the big day.
        http://thetrashcanturkey.com/

Comment

Originally posted by CMPR1966 View Post
          This Thanksgiving I will again be making the Trash can turkey.
          My neighbor showed me this a few years ago. He sometimes does it on an overnight float trip (I think just to show off). I have not done it camping yet but it would be great for a larger group camping trip. It has been the best, most moist turkey I have ever had. I sugest giving it a trial run before you risk being the one to mess us the bird for the big day.
          http://thetrashcanturkey.com/

There may be an issue with galvanized metal (metal trash can) and heat. Either galvanized or chromed, I don't recall. It can produce toxic gasses.

ETA:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_fume_fever

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...cle/002570.htm

Look at the "where found" section of the second link on zink poisoning. It has "Heated or burned galvanized metal (releases zinc fumes)"

I'm positive I'd NOT eat something that was cooked in or around anything galvanized.
          Last edited by Malamute; 11-17-2014, 09:22 AM.

Comment

Malamute
            You may have something to be concerned about. I don't know. I linked this web site because it had some information that described what I was talking about. Choose for yourself. I did not see it in their instructions, but I burned my new can over a hot campfire before I used it for the first time. I wanted to burn off any oils or coatings on the can before cooking. I have used the same can for the last three years about five times. I only use it for cooking Turkeys.

Comment

I did some searching for specific info regarding the trash can turkey and zinc poisoning. The only statement I found was this:

http://grillbbqrecipes.com/trash-can...lling-recipes/
              “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

See last year I cooked bacon wrapped turkey, this year I want to deep fry the turkey. Here is a link I am looking at for oil-less deep fryers that use infrared.

http://www.charbroil.com/the-big-easy-tru-infrared.html

Also here is a link to the website I am learning my basic knowledge on how to do it, in case you are interested as well.

http://www.eatturkey.com/consumer/cookinfo/fryturk
                Visit www.gearspoke.com for all of your rental needs!

Comment

Late to the party but every year my family comes to my house for Thanksgiving. This year there were 26 people. Good times. Best part of the meal is my wifes home made stuffing....In fact, I think I will have some in a couple minutes.
                  “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                  – E. B. White

Comment

I camped at grandma's house for Tday :D I raised 3 turkeys this year for Tday. Processed them in late October and they were in the freezer until the week of Thanksgiving. I brined one in a cranberry maple brine and he was DELICIOUS! I'll brine another for Christmas and then smoking the last one.

Comment

Originally posted by bluestar99 View Post
                      I will be camping on the couch for Thanksgiving. Only half the family this year so we each have a few more things to make. This year I will inject the Turkey and Spatchcock the bird. That should make for juicier breasts. We all want that ,right? Then the usual trimmings.
                      Do you use one of those rotating spit roasters to cook the bird over the fire? Turkey is usually cooked pretty slowly whereas a camp fire is more suited for fast cooking, like a BBQ... Any suggestions?
                      A community for camping and outdoors enthusiasts: Camping Babble

Comment

Originally posted by RAND0M1ZER View Post
                        Do you use one of those rotating spit roasters to cook the bird over the fire? Turkey is usually cooked pretty slowly whereas a camp fire is more suited for fast cooking, like a BBQ... Any suggestions?
                        I've cooked a spatchcocked turkey and bones in hotel breast on my Weber with no spit turner. It was just a matter of zone cooking to control the temperature.
                        Here's a zone cooking tutorial that you might find helpful:

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_tech...t_cooking.html
                        2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
                        Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

My wifes' cooking is great ,so usually she is cooking for us and what I need to do is washing the dishes in holiday.
                          Take a walk with mother nature, you will be fine then. :go:

Comment

We'll be doing Thanksgiving here at home this year, so just the four of us. Rotisserie turkey, smashed taters, squash, rolls, some other veggie I haven't decided on yet (might do the glazed carrots and turnips I've done in past years), stuffing, the works! Also still undecided about dessert for this year, but thought I'd share a SUPER easy recipe for Egg Nog Cookies that uses cake mix. They are so very, very good and incredibly easy to make. Perfect for that last minute dessert for family gatherings or even for munching on at home. Seriously, these are dangerously good...

Egg Nog Cookies:

For cookies:
                            1 Box White or Yellow Cake Mix
                            1 1/3 Cup Egg Nog

For frosting:
                            2-4 Cups Powdered Sugar
                            1/4 Cup Egg Nog

For cookies:
                            Mix the two ingredients. If the consistency is off (too thick), add a little more egg nog. Drop onto ungreased cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 13-15 minutes. Cool before frosting.

For frosting:
                            Mix the two ingredients. Add more or less of sugar or egg nog to get desired consistency. I like mine to be more "spreadable", so make it a little thicker. Drizzle or spread on cookies when cooled.

Told ya they were easy-peasy! Whenever I make these for any gatherings, absolutely everyone asks for the recipe. Good thing it's so easy to remember! Happy Holidays!
                            Married to Longpants, Mom to Littlepants (9) and Tinypants (5). Love Camping in New England!

Comment

Originally posted by Shortpants View Post
                              We'll be doing Thanksgiving here at home this year, so just the four of us. Rotisserie turkey, smashed taters, squash, rolls, some other veggie I haven't decided on yet (might do the glazed carrots and turnips I've done in past years), stuffing, the works! Also still undecided about dessert for this year, but thought I'd share a SUPER easy recipe for Egg Nog Cookies that uses cake mix. They are so very, very good and incredibly easy to make. Perfect for that last minute dessert for family gatherings or even for munching on at home. Seriously, these are dangerously good...

Egg Nog Cookies:

For cookies:
                              1 Box White or Yellow Cake Mix
                              1 1/3 Cup Egg Nog

For frosting:
                              2-4 Cups Powdered Sugar
                              1/4 Cup Egg Nog

For cookies:
                              Mix the two ingredients. If the consistency is off (too thick), add a little more egg nog. Drop onto ungreased cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 13-15 minutes. Cool before frosting.

For frosting:
                              Mix the two ingredients. Add more or less of sugar or egg nog to get desired consistency. I like mine to be more "spreadable", so make it a little thicker. Drizzle or spread on cookies when cooled.

Told ya they were easy-peasy! Whenever I make these for any gatherings, absolutely everyone asks for the recipe. Good thing it's so easy to remember! Happy Holidays!
                              I think I'll give this a try with an eggnog cake mix that's been languishing in the back freezer fer bit. I hit King Arthur's website and lose my lil mind :D. Thanks for the tip on how to make em' thicker as I suspect that's what I want as well:cool:.
                              2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
                              Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Working...
                              X