Most Amazing Rock Formations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most Amazing Rock Formations

Let me see the most amazing, weird, odd rock formations that you have come across on your adventures! The photos I have is the balanced rock from the rock garden of Eden in the National Park Moab in Utah.

Click image for larger version

Name:	iStock_000027548642Large.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	72758

What amazing photos did you capture while adventuring?
    Visit www.gearspoke.com for all of your rental needs!

Re: Most Amazing Rock Formations

Name:	balancing_rock.jpg
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	69974
    This is the Balancing Rock on the Digby Neck of Nova Scotia.
    “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

I do most of my hiking along the ridges and in ravines in Indiana. While Indiana is not known for impressive, amazing rock formations, here are a couple of "rock" photos I snapped during some recent hikes. Like everything else, you just have to know where to go to appreciate and find the beautiful places/things in your state.

A small "rock" formation. Nonetheless, I think it's amazing. A geode I recently found while rock hopping a small stream in West Central Indiana. I find many geodes in this area, but this latest one is one of the best so far:

One of the many waterfalls in Salamonie State Forest during an 8 mile hike on the "waterfall trail". I love this forest and this somewhat rugged trail...I hardly ever see another soul while I am out here. So peaceful.

Last edited by a65hoosier; 11-10-2014, 07:29 AM.
      2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
      Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
      Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
      Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Geodes are always amazing to me.

Here is Bassi Falls (in the ElDorado National Forest). The full falls goes way above and way below this spot, but I love how the light falls on these rocks.
        Attached Files
        “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Kissing Falls at Kokiwanee Nature Preserve. One of our favorite hiking spots.

Comment

toedtoes - beautiful pic! I can see myself poking along that stream, hopping from one rock to another. My kind of spot. Hiking like that....well, I don't make good time, but I always have a good time.

denni2 - Thank You much for sharing that pic and location!!! Heck...that is just across the river from the Salamonie State Forest where I love to hike. I often have looked out over the river from the bluffs (while watching bald eagles fishing) and wondered about the woods/acreage on other side. I had NO idea that nature preserve was even there. Definitely going to go and check it out soon. Yay! A new place to explore!
            Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
            Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
            Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

a65hoosier, Kokowani used to be a Girl Scout camp it is an Acres property now.. There are several water falls but most are usually dry. We haven't hiked Salamonie, it seems we only think of going during hunting season. You will love it.

Comment

Originally posted by Denni2 View Post
                a65hoosier, Kokowani used to be a Girl Scout camp it is an Acres property now.. There are several water falls but most are usually dry. We haven't hiked Salamonie, it seems we only think of going during hunting season. You will love it.
                Planning on going up for a visit this Saturday. Thanks again for the info. I checked the ACRES website and found quite a few interesting places to go exploring.

sigpic

Comment

a65hoosier - Bassi Falls is a great place, but you do have to hit it early. The young adult campers from the big reservoir campground will hang out there during the day. I got there about 8 a.m. and there were no other souls. Unfortunate as I got my SUV stuck in the soft ground at the trailhead - cost me a bundle to get it back out. But, it's not a great photo unless there was pain in the getting of the photo.

Here's a rock formation from the west shore of Lake Tahoe.

Name:	tunnel_to_glory_vv.jpg
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	69977

Comment

I liked this one,

I think the high rocky parts are glacial carved,

The high notch in the skyline here is a glacial carved hanging valley.

...which is the hanging valley with lake in the foreground of this picture

Last edited by Malamute; 11-12-2014, 11:42 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X