Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First time camping, need equipment

Hello guys,

I am new to the forum. I want to go on a cycling/camping trip. All I have in the ways of equipment is a mountain bike and a sleeping bag. I wont be replacing these 2 due to budget restraints. I am only really looking for a tent and a backpack maybe some hiking shoes.
    I am looking at these 2 tents:
    MSR Elixir 2 Backpacking Tent, Red
    Kelty TN 2 Person Tent

I am not able to go any higher for the tent but I can always go lower. I plan to first take it on a short weekend trip then on a 2 week trip. Eventually I may end up taking it to japan with me for a 2 or 3 week trip. I want it to be reliable. That said, the cheaper the better.

As for the backpack, I got nothing. I want it to be usable for college and no more expensive than 100 dollars. I only have about 300-400 for the whole trip. I want to keep it as cheap as possible.

Thanks in advance.

Re: First time camping, need equipment

What I use for my camping pack is a large bag I got from an army surplus store. That being said, I usually go camping in a group and do not bring a mountain bike with me. I find that school backpacks are not really suitable for camping because they have lots of small pockets but not very much room for larger items.
    A community for camping and outdoors enthusiasts: Camping Babble

Comment

where abouts are you from?
      what climate will you be doing most of your biking/camping?
      as a biker you can have different setup than a hiking camper,
      i would make sure bike is rigged with baskets/saddle bags so your not relying on backpack,
      with larger/heavier gear on the bike, can go with smaller(cheaper) backpack,
      on a bike i would keep away from too many external pockets, as easier to loose stuff,
      i would look for, straps, rings and such you can clip things onto, and that its water bladder compatable, or one that comes with a water bladder.
      for tents, so many options,
      sleeping alone? is it just for sleeping or want room to lounge?

an option to save some $$$ is clist and such,
      also check retail stores clearance sales,

Comment

I am in Socal. I plan to ride my bike from LA to Sequoia national park. I will most like have one of these,
        http://www.amazon.com/Schwinn-SW7561...bike+rack+rear
        on my bike.
        I am going by myself but I would like the option to go with 2 on the same tent, just in case.
        I will go during "winter" (Socal does not have winter as we all know.)

Comment

Originally posted by terasec View Post
          where abouts are you from?
          what climate will you be doing most of your biking/camping?
          as a biker you can have different setup than a hiking camper,
          i would make sure bike is rigged with baskets/saddle bags so your not relying on backpack,
          with larger/heavier gear on the bike, can go with smaller(cheaper) backpack,
          on a bike i would keep away from too many external pockets, as easier to loose stuff,
          i would look for, straps, rings and such you can clip things onto, and that its water bladder compatable, or one that comes with a water bladder.
          for tents, so many options,
          sleeping alone? is it just for sleeping or want room to lounge?

an option to save some $$$ is clist and such,
          also check retail stores clearance sales,
          Mostly the above
          I would suggest a bike pannier over a back pack. Not sure what kind of handles your mountain bike has but in general I wouldn't want much weight on my back regardless of handle style.
          2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
          Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

I agree with NYCGrrrl. If you don't have panniers front and back on your bike, you are better off walking. A heavy pack on your back on a mountain bike on dirt trails would be a Bataan death march.

If you are talking about making a splash at camping with no commitment to doing it again, I would borrow stuff. Anything will do. For a tent, you really can get by with a tarp for a couple of nights. If it doesn't rain, you don't even need a tent. Have a sheet of plastic to put under your sleeping bag as well.

You can enhance your comfort and warmth by piling up a big pile of leaves as bedding. Heck, you are just talking about a couple of days.

A backpack stove is a very convenient thing to have, but if you are proficient at fire building, You can do without a stove. My friends and I camped for many years in all kinds of weather in remote wilderness without a stove. Remember, Daniel Boone didn't have a stove. You can plan the menu so that you can either eat your food cold or hot - like a can of stew or chowder or beans or ramen noodles.

When I was a kid, we hardly had any gear at all. Our sleeping bags were filled with cotton. Our tent was heavy canvas that let both bugs and rain inside. We had no stove. We cooked in empty coffee cans. Our backpacks were torture devices of such poor quality and design that carrying gear in old pillow cases strung on a pole would have been an improvement. We would hike and camp for many days on end like that and had a blast.

Camping, like any other hobby, can be about as cheap or as expensive as you want it to be.

Comment

As for the backpack, I got nothing. I want it to be usable for college and no more expensive than 100 dollars. I only have about 300-400 for the whole trip. I want to keep it as cheap as possible.

Comment

I thought I posted but I guess I didnt. I am riding a bicycle with full suspension. I cant get front and rear panniers. I am only going with a seat mounter rear rack. I wont be going on trails or anything the like.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkAriel7 View Post
                  I thought I posted but I guess I didnt. I am riding a bicycle with full suspension. I cant get front and rear panniers. I am only going with a seat mounter rear rack. I wont be going on trails or anything the like.
                  Well.... if you are planning a bike tour on a full suspension mountain bike with no panniers, AND a seat-post-stem mounted rack (20 lb max weight), then my recommendation would be to do something else. That sounds like a real three-hour-tour to me.

Look. If you really want to do this and you want to do it on the cheap, go to thrift stores or yard sales or call your uncle or whatever and get an old road bike from the 1970's or 1980's. $25.00 Better than a full-suspension mountain bike by a million miles. Pick a bike that already has has a stable rear rack mounted on it if possible.

For panniers, use two old school backpacks. Use the backpacks as templates to cut out pieces of thin plywood as backing and staple the backpack to the plywood with heavy duty power staples or use small nails or brads.

Tie the backpacks together from the top handles with spacing between the handles to fit the width of the rear rack. Secure the panniers to the legs of the rear rack.

It doesn't get any cheaper or more practical than that.

Comment

You can rent alot of the gear at Adventure 16 in LA. Good way to test it out and save cash.
                    New to camping in So Cal!

Comment

Have you considered Hammock Camping?

Comment

If you decide to rent equipment, you might want to stick with REI. A16 is a pretty small outfit, and although their gear is top-notch, they are much smaller in size and scope as an outfitter.
                        “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                        ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

The Elixir 2 backpacking tent is pretty nice. My friend has one and I've used it before as well

Comment

Working...
                          X