My new tent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My new tent

I just got a new tent ! a trek 245c ! its a big heavy wall tent and i love it !!
    Just had to tell someone.

Re: My new tent

Sweet. Have you had a chance to take it out yet?
    “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
    – E. B. White

Comment

It doesn't exist without pictures of the tent in the woods!
      Nights camping in 2014: 18
      Nights camping in 2015: 24
      Nights camping in 2016: 20

North Face Tadpole 23 - Mountain Hardwear Casa 6 - Guide Gear 18x18 Teepee

Comment

Originally posted by ArizonaSportsman View Post
        It doesn't exist without pictures of the tent in the woods!
        Oh...cold ! soon, my friend, soon. ( i hope )

Comment

Looks like a good winter tent. I like the rainfly! 55 lbs. Ya, heavy but not unexpected for that large of a tent.

Here is what you do: Go to a ski resort property in a national forest like Aspen. Load your big tent and gear and maybe a heater onto sleds and sled your gear just out of the resort boundary by snowmobile. Ski your ass off at the lift service resort, then camp at night in your luxury tent.

You get first turns in the morning. Pray for new powder!

Last edited by Mike; 11-22-2014, 07:19 AM.

Comment

Pole-- how many of you own and use this tent ?
            Maybe we need a trek tent owners topic.

Comment

I am pretty sure non of the regular poster's on this forum have them. Only a handful have canvas tents, the newer generation canvas tents.
              Nights camped in 2019: 24
              Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Like with some many other things, the reviews on the Trek tents are split. Seems some people rave about 'em, some trash 'em. I considered buying one. The thing that put me off was the T-zip doors. Other than that, the specs look great - and the fitted rainfly looks like a really nice add on.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                  Like with some many other things, the reviews on the Trek tents are split. Seems some people rave about 'em, some trash 'em. I considered buying one. The thing that put me off was the T-zip doors. Other than that, the specs look great - and the fitted rainfly looks like a really nice add on.
                  Can you expand upon what you feel are great specs? How do they compare to other canvas tent makers such as Kodiak and Springbar? What led you to purchase the specific canvas model you purchased? Although I do not own a canvas tent, it is "out there" as a potential purchase for me sometime in the future. I'm attracted to the durability/wind resistance (toughness) canvas offers, along with their classic style and space/headroom. However, before I spend the $$$ to invest in a canvas tent, I want to know I am making a good decision.

When I saw this originally posted, I had never heard of Trek Tents, so I dug in and researched to find out more. Features such as dimensions and amenities were easier to locate and compare between the 3 mfrs.

I couldn't discover much about Trek beyond a limited amount of widely variable customer ratings on Amazon (as you indicated) and some specs listed within the descriptions for Trek tents listed on eBay. Trek's website is fairly basic and limited as to actual detailed specs.

The Trek polyester rainfly (nice feature) is treated at 1000mm rating and the canvas at 600mm. Note: That info came from eBay within the listing descriptions - I couldn't find anything on the Trek website that indicates these ratings.

Some basic material specs from what I was able to uncover via each website:

* Canvas Density Trek - Use of 8 oz duck canvas throughout. Springbar - 8.5 oz walls and 10.1 oz for roof/windows. Kodiak - 8.5 oz walls and 10.0 for roof.

* Treatment Process - The Trek manufacturers website does not describe the process used for treating their canvas. Kodiak indicates the use of a "silicone dry-finish" (Hydra-Shield) on their canvas. Springbar indicates they use a "double dry finish". Note: none of the 3 official mfr websites list or spec the waterproof ratings, which may be the nature of a canvas tent.

* Warranty Trek - One year warranty. Kodiak and Springbar - Limited Lifetime Warranties. This may be the biggest difference...if after the sale service or parts are necessary.

* Where Manufactured - Trek - does not indicate where. Kodiak - mfr'd in China. Although Kodiak indicates the use of American grown cotton for their canvas. Springbar - made in USA, but doesn't indicate from where the cotton/canvas originates.

Tramp844 - Can you provide any additional details as to what or why you selected your Trek tent over a Kodiak or Springbar tent? What sold you on Trek?
                  Last edited by a65hoosier; 11-23-2014, 09:35 AM.
                  2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
                  Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
                  Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
                  Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by a65hoosier View Post
                    Can you expand upon what you feel are great specs?
                    I guess I'll have to concede that using the word great was a bit of hyperbole. I did consider the overall weight of their tents as a clue to their durability, along with what people on various sites had to say about their construction. Again, some raved and some panned. In cases like that, I throw out the highs and the lows and look what the people in the middle have to say and I was still impressed enough to consider buying one. The Trek canvas tents are about the closest thing to a much coveted Coleman I had years ago that was stolen and I'd been on a years long search to replace it. But then I joined this site and, probably mostly due to PhilR's talking about them, I found out about the Kodiaks and...well... obviously I was sold.

I can't say I worry too much about how any tent is factory treated for water resistance, other than having to know what kind of product I'd have to buy to treat and retreat the tent myself. (i.e. silicone vs petroleum based)

I'm not sure if you somehow missed it in your digging, but Trek does have a list of specs, including types of material used in their tents (although they do omit fabric weights).

Comment

MacGyver - I do the same thing with any group of consumer ratings for a product....for almost everything I'm looking to purchase or wanting to find out more about. Out with the high/lows and try to get an overall sense of what the reviewers are saying. I saw the Trek list of specs you referenced, but it really is just a listing/comparison of all Trek tent dimensions and materials in one spot, which also can be found on each of their tent's individual listing pages. And yep...all these canvas tents tip the scales (nature of the beast).

I thought you had a Kodiak based on some of your pics. Many here that use canvas have selected Kodiaks and seem to be pretty pleased with them. Just trying to get a sense of the pro/cons and anyone's real world experience between these 3 manufacturers. As usually the case, it often comes down to personal preference and the features/amenities one finds most important to them vs one's budget.

Oh...and sorry to hear that your Coleman was stolen. I'd be PO'd if anyone absconded with any of my valued gear. It's one thing if it wears out, it's something entirely different to have it disappear. That had to hurt.
                      Last edited by a65hoosier; 11-25-2014, 06:39 AM.
                      Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
                      Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
                      Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Congratulations Tramp844! It looks like a ruggedly made canvas tent. Not sure I'd go 4-season with it, but that's just me. A65's specs show it's a good tent, maybe not the finest, but a good tent and right up there with the Springbar/Kodiak line in my quick glance. I have friends who only take heavy canvas up to the Sierras where we hunt, and while they ooh and ah each time I've tanen a different tent for my own use, I always like to see their big canvas monsters in the site. Kind of a nostalgic journey back to the '60s and '70s of tentdom, my buddy owned (and still does) the biggest cg in New Jersey. We grew up together working and playing around RVs, tents, and covered shacks for both weekenders and the beloved Seasonals who brought the cool stuff down from "the big city". Your tent choice makes me feel young, and that is a very, very good thing - at any age! Remember CanVak tent treatment for your tent treatment needs, and if you scrupulously follow maintenance guidelines, I'll bet your tent lasts as long as any of mine - I go polyester/nylon and store it in a dry place, so I have The Lazyman's Advantage. Good Camping, and thanks!
                        Last edited by tplife; 11-23-2014, 06:13 PM.
                        “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                        ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Originally posted by a65hoosier View Post
                          Can you expand upon what you feel are great specs? How do they compare to other canvas tent makers such as Kodiak and Springbar? What led you to purchase the specific canvas model you purchased? Although I do not own a canvas tent, it is "out there" as a potential purchase for me sometime in the future. I'm attracted to the durability/wind resistance (toughness) canvas offers, along with their classic style and space/headroom. However, before I spend the $$$ to invest in a canvas tent, I want to know I am making a good decision.

When I saw this originally posted, I had never heard of Trek Tents, so I dug in and researched to find out more. Features such as dimensions and amenities were easier to locate and compare between the 3 mfrs.

I couldn't discover much about Trek beyond a limited amount of widely variable customer ratings on Amazon (as you indicated) and some specs listed within the descriptions for Trek tents listed on eBay. Trek's website is fairly basic and limited as to actual detailed specs.

The Trek polyester rainfly (nice feature) is treated at 1000mm rating and the canvas at 600mm. Note: That info came from eBay within the listing descriptions - I couldn't find anything on the Trek website that indicates these ratings.

Some basic material specs from what I was able to uncover via each website:

* Canvas Density Trek - Use of 8 oz duck canvas throughout. Springbar - 8.5 oz walls and 10.1 oz for roof/windows. Kodiak - 8.5 oz walls and 10.0 for roof.

* Treatment Process - The Trek manufacturers website does not describe the process used for treating their canvas. Kodiak indicates the use of a "silicone dry-finish" (Hydra-Shield) on their canvas. Springbar indicates they use a "double dry finish". Note: none of the 3 official mfr websites list or spec the waterproof ratings, which may be the nature of a canvas tent.

* Warranty Trek - One year warranty. Kodiak and Springbar - Limited Lifetime Warranties. This may be the biggest difference...if after the sale service or parts are necessary.

* Where Manufactured - Trek - does not indicate where. Kodiak - mfr'd in China. Although Kodiak indicates the use of American grown cotton for their canvas. Springbar - made in USA, but doesn't indicate from where the cotton/canvas originates.

Tramp844 - Can you provide any additional details as to what or why you selected your Trek tent over a Kodiak or Springbar tent? What sold you on Trek?
                          I bought this tent because...
                          #1 price
                          #2 streight walls
                          #3 size ( 9x12 )

#4 parent company is in AL. ( my home state )
                          I really wanted a wall tent with streight walls and a sewn in floor. Kodiak was on my short list but i really wanted those wall streight up. Davis, springbar, ...others , were twice as much and had no sewn in floor and poles/ frame was extra. For what i do, i did not need a $ 1000.00 + tent so when i ran across the trek 245c and the company is in alabama...i went for it.
                          Is it as good as those listed above ? time will tell. So far so good.
                          Shoot,, the price was good. Got mine from opentip.com. thae lady at trek recomemded them to me and it was about $ 30 less than i found it on ebay.
                          I will keep ya'll posted on how it works out.

Comment

tramp844 - Those sound like good reasons! Definitely keep us posted on your Trek 245c. Perhaps a quick review and some pictures after you get a chance to pitch it and spend some time with it.

sigpic

Comment

I sure will ! i cant wait !

Comment

Working...
                              X