Forest Service Warns Against Bear Selfies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forest Service Warns Against Bear Selfies

For those who are a bit unsure as to what selfies are, ts where you hold your camera and take a photo of yourself. Well in the case of national park safety, people are going out and when they come across bears they have been taking selfies with bears in the background. The statement released by the forest service is below:

Please don't take selfies with bears. It's stupid.
    Love, the U.S Forest Service

I would have to agree with the US Forest Service! http://goo.gl/2rZ2iy
    Visit www.gearspoke.com for all of your rental needs!

Re: Forest Service Warns Against Bear Selfies

Seems like more and more people are grabbing their cell phone/camera when they go out and leave any common sense at home.
    Mike Hampton
    If it's "it is," it's "it's" otherwise it's "its."

Comment

I don't know if it's really a new thing. I remember seeing videos of people stopping along the roads to take pictures with moose, buffalo, etc. I guess it's just that now they post the proof of their stupidity online for all the world to see - instead of just proofing their stupidity to their friends who were to stupid to realize the invitation for dinner was an excuse to show a 5 hour slide show of their vacation.
      “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

I must be one of a dozen people left in the world who doesn't have - and doesn't want - a smartphone. As much as I love sitting on a computer day and night at home, when I go out in the world, I don't want to be connected. I don't need instant updates on my Facebook page, I don't need to check my mail every fifteen minutes. And the last thing I want to do is watch videos on a 4 inch screen. On my last camping trip, I noticed that one person pulling their phone out led to just about everyone sitting there playing around with theirs. I don't get it. I go camping to get together with friends. You might as well stay home, set up a firepit in your backyard and never go camping again if you can't disconnect from the Internet for a few days.

Comment

Originally posted by macgyver View Post
          i must be one of a dozen people left in the world who doesn't have - and doesn't want - a smartphone. As much as i love sitting on a computer day and night at home, when i go out in the world, i don't want to be connected. I don't need instant updates on my facebook page, i don't need to check my mail every fifteen minutes. And the last thing i want to do is watch videos on a 4 inch screen. On my last camping trip, i noticed that one person pulling their phone out led to just about everyone sitting there playing around with theirs. I don't get it. I go camping to get together with friends. You might as well stay home, set up a firepit in your backyard and never go camping again if you can't disconnect from the internet for a few days.
          x2

Comment

You can't fix stupid. A selfie with a bear is Gods way of thinning the herd.

Comment

Originally posted by bluestar99 View Post
              You can't fix stupid. A selfie with a bear is Gods way of thinning the herd.

I would agree in principle, although in todays world, when a bear eats a person, the rest of the people smart enough not to be stupid around bears seem to take it personal and eliminate the bear.

Fortunately, we haven't heard of anyone (that I know of) actually being attacked or eaten by a bear when taking selfies.

Comment

Bluestar99, made me bust out in laughing with your remark, couldnt tell you how you have made a great star to my day!
                Visit www.gearspoke.com for all of your rental needs!

Comment

Glad I could help, Gear!

Malamute, I agree that unfortunately the bear gets put down instead of the tourist. We need to work on that. But every time I am in Yellowstone I see these knuckleheads that chase after, mostly the Bison, for an up close picture. Once a group was following a large Bison and spooked it. This caused it to ran into a parking lot by the hot springs. The beast was now cornered so it ran up onto the wooden sidewalk where every one was walking. This could have been a disaster, all for a picture. That is where the stupid comes in.

Comment

Yes, the amount of derp in Yellowstone is epic.

Buffalo are a prime example, and one of the greatest hazards. Many people have zero concept of how powerful, fast and how potentially dangerous they are.

People that work there have bucketloads of stories of utterly clueless tourists asking questions and doing profoundly dumb things.

"What time do you feed the animals?" "Uh, feed them? Nobody feeds them,..." "Oh come on, we KNOW they have to be fed, what time and where do you feed them, we want to take pictures..." And that's only the tip of the iceberg. The people that try to put their kids on a buffalo to take pics of them never cease to amaze. Oh,..and the ones that try to pet buffalo.....

Comment

It always amazes me how stupid many people are. The fact that they grew to be adults is unbelievable. Being an old guy, who grew up without safety latches, car seats, bike helmets and warning labels on my "HOT" coffee, may have prepared me to survive.
                      Photography is my hobby. I've been interested in it since I was a kid. But they make telephoto lenses so you don't have to be with in bad breath distance of a wild animal.

Comment

There seems to be a relationship between smartphones and dumb people.
                        Moss Big Dipper
                        Alaskan Guide 8
                        Alaskan Guide 6
                        NorthFace Tadpole 23
                        ALPS Exteme 3
                        Six Moon Designs Lunar Two

Comment

Everything needs a warning these days, eh? I say carry a tag with you in season, and after you dispatch him, take all the selfies you want.
                          “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                          ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Proof positive of what I call the "Disneyfication of Nature". People have lost all concept of the "WILD" in wilderness. They think all animals are cute fuzzy friendly pets that are there to be played with. When the cute fuzzy bites back, the idiots immediately want to punish it for being wild.
                            Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Originally posted by wiiawiwb View Post
                              There seems to be a relationship between smartphones and dumb people.
                              This, and I have a picture from tailgating that I will post a little later that will help prove this statement.
                              “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                              – E. B. White

Comment

Working...
                              X