Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: whats your cookware ?

Originally posted by tramp844 View Post
    your thoughts on this..http://www.texsport.net/cast-iron-co...um-p-1136.html
    This is just for my car/tent/ heavy no hike camping. And yes , for my ultralite backpacking i use a snowpeak trek 700 & 450 cup. Just do freezer bag cooking.
    I was looking for something for 2 to 4 people and better/cooler than a bunch of thrift store / from home stuff. I got the ultralite thing down , its scaleing up that hard.
    Your link to the coleman stuff was great, looks good and $5 less than the texsport stuff. I would love to hear from those that use one or the other or both.
    I bought an all alum. Set off ebay , but i have never been crazy about cooking in alum. Am i wrong about alum. ?
    i dont have that set
    but have set of texsport stainless steel,
    as a brand i would recomend texsport
    have had my stainless steel set for +10 yrs,
    and no problems with it,
    even after being blackened and burnt from a trip it cleans easily and still looks almost new,
    my wife even makes comments on how come i cant clean our home pots/pans as good as i do my camping set.

Comment

For cookware, I use a GCI nesting bowl and pot set (for backpacking). Otherwise if I'm car-camping or "park-n-flop" as my family affectionately describes it - we love to bring cast iron pans and dutch ovens. Nothing says camping like cast iron.
      Nights camping in 2014: 18
      Nights camping in 2015: 24
      Nights camping in 2016: 20

North Face Tadpole 23 - Mountain Hardwear Casa 6 - Guide Gear 18x18 Teepee

Comment

I use a lot of throw away aluminum. I have a family member who works for aluminum maker for Sarah Lee and others. So I can get some of this free as allowed. Love the big turkey roaster pans. My propane stove died a dangerous death and I did get a Coleman Powerpack propane single burner which I love already. Will use a turkey pan with bottom cut out for wind screen. I got a 12 inch diameter, 3 inches deep heavy aluminum cake pan at Michael's and absolutely love that to cook large portions of chicken and things in over fire and grille. Can't believe I lived all these years without one. I got a few years ago a 50 year old drip 3 piece aluminum coffee pot from an elderly man and absolutely it makes the best coffee with less grounds. That is official coffee pot for camping and also at at home.

Comment

I think cast iron is the way to go. Easy to cook with and the clean up is a breeze. I know its heavy, but as I don't normally hike into camp its not a problem for me.

Comment

I practice the KISS principle. I use a GI issue steel canteen cup and a spork. If I want to go fancy, I use my East German Military Cookset - it has more 'bells&whistles' but it is still simple and compact.
            Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

If you are car camping and wanted to simplify, you could get by with one item. That item would be a high walled cast iron skillet with a lid. With this, you can make everything from pancakes to chili stew.

Comment

I have a set of Coleman stainless steel nesting cookware and a number eight cast-iron skillet. I Also have a large cast-iron kettle and a cast-iron Dutch oven. I rarely use The Dutch oven and the Kettle because I they are heavy and don't want to hang out at the campsite very long and we usually make simple meals while camping. I will use them over the fire pit in at home in the fall. I really cook most everything on the tripod over the fire.

Comment

I have been using a GSI Pinnacle hard-anodized aluminum cookset for up to 4 people. Has worked a treat except after a few seasons I notice the frypan has warped a bit (probably from heat on my burner?). The frypan is also too small when you try to have a fishfry for 4 people. I have some Goodwill teflon stuff I usually bring if there are going to be >4 people, more bodies to help carry the extra weight for "kitchen" cookware vs. camping cookware.

Comment

Nuff said...... :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Bigdog57 View Post

Just make sure you keep the handles out of the fire, right?
                      “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                      – E. B. White

Comment

Camping gear isnt something you go to the store and buy everything in fail swoop. Yoiu lear over time from experience or camping with others and their stock pile of what is useful to have. But for starters you should have the essentials:

- Coffee cups (for coffee, water whatever lese you bring)
                        - Stove top (This is kind fo the one I have but I bought mine about 5 years ago, http://www.coleman.com/product/class...0#.VM0e0WTF9tI )
                        - Pot to boil water
                        - Pan to cook that delicious fish, unless you are cooking it over the fire (mmm delicious)
                        - Set of silverware
                        - I have been drooling and trying to reson buying this coffee machine - (http://www.coleman.com/product/campi...3#.VM0g6WTF9tI)
                        - And MOST importantly, Fillet knife and a cutting board for fishing!

Best of luck shopping
                        Visit www.gearspoke.com for all of your rental needs!

Comment

The last thing I want to do while camping is cook. I've been getting by with a 7" fry pan and a 1.5 liter pot for ages. Just recently went crazy and got a big 2 liter pot to boil water. Fortunately, I camp with people who have other plans. Got a guy in our group who wears the title Kitchen B***h very proudly. A wizard with a dutch oven and a griddle.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigdog57 View Post

I sure hope those shovels don't dual purpose for latrine duty.
                            “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Just scour them clean BEFORE cooking! Hehehe....... :-)

Comment

All good camping gear is dual-purpose :-)
                                2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Working...
                                X