whats your cookware ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: whats your cookware ?

We take two iron skillets and one pot for water boiling and making any canned goods as necessary.

For eating we bought a standard Ozark box set of dishes/silverware (the only thing I hate is all sets serve four. We have FIVE). We borrow a good knife, spatula, etc from our kitchen when we roll out.
    Camping photos: https://www.instagram.com/adventure_outside_thebox/
    Nights under the stars:
    2013: 8 2014: 6 2015: 12
    2018: 4 2019: 17 2020: 15

Comment

I come from a long line of campers so I inherited a lot - kept what worked for our style. We have 2 cast iron skillets one large one small(er) a big and small pot, dutch oven and a couple of the old (like 20's-30's) boy scout mess kits. We use a nice plastic set of dishes and cups we got at wally world a few years back and I organize all my silverware, utensils and napkins in coffee cans (plastic variety) with the smaller pringles stax tubes inside the coffee cans. We have also added a griddle plate and a stainless veggie tray in recent years. Most (really all - everything I listed here) of my cooking gear fits in a very durable zip top square bottom duffle (I think it's a med act bag honestly - got it off Craigslist) and that includes my dish soap and scrubbies. It does weigh a ton when loaded, I would not backpack with it.
      Last edited by MWcamper; 03-26-2015, 01:15 PM.

Comment

In a pinch and low on cash I picked up ozark trail 4 piece cookware set from Walmart and am pleasantly surprised.

Comment

one cast iron skillet, one dutch oven, and a griddle. And since last time I ended up using the griddle for everything, I probably won't take the CI skillet. Just the dutch oven.

For eating its always been plastic throw away stuff, but I'm to the point I'm over buying it so I might just pick up 3 cheap sets for us.

Comment

When my wife and I camp, our kitchen set consists of a two burner propane stove, camp stove toaster, medium sized cast iron skillet, one quart aluminum pot with lid, a couple spatulas (one slotted), a filet knife, a grill fork and a few steak knives. We also bring a couple of long "hot dog forks" (the kind used over a fire) and a pie iron (great for making grilled cheese sandwiches :-) ). For plates and such we often use paper plates, plastic flatware and foam cups, but once our present inventory of those items is depleted we plan to use a handy Tupperware set she purchased that has nesting plates, flatware and cups. The majority of our cooking is quite simple...breakfast is cooked on the stove (eggs, bacon, toast, etc). Lunch is sandwiches. Dinners are prepared directly over the fire (grilled fish, steak, burgers, kebabs on the hot dog sticks, etc with a salad and perhaps some bread with butter). If we're camping near the ocean we'll also bring a larger 2 quart pot with lid that can be used for steaming shellfish.

If I'm camping solo, things are even simpler. I'll bring along this bit of gear:
            An Esbit backpacking cookset:
            http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...PZY3YM5GH5BGQ3

and my mess kit that dates to my cub scout years (over 40 years ago). The mess kit offers me a simple frying pan that I'll use with the alcohol stove for frying bacon or spam as well as a plate to use for eating. A nylon spork serves as my flatware.
            Last edited by caheaton; 05-01-2015, 12:24 PM.
            Where we've camped so far (as an adult...many more when I was a kid :-)

Comment

This year I'm making a 3 week trip for 5 people daily and up to 12 on the weekends/holidays.

So I'm bringing the 12" CI skillet (may not bring the lid cause foil can do the job pretty well), a 5 qt s/s pot w/lid that's a bit of a throw away as its not heavy gauge, a CI stove top waffle iron cuz I'm on a "Who knew so many foods could be cooked in a waffle iron?" craze, and a coupla aluminum foil pans of varying sizes from the cheapo store near the campground. Maybee a smaller lidded high sided pot (2-3 qts) to boil water for coffee or tea and that's it. I'm getting weary of excess and singular purpose pots.
              2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
              Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

I just changed my cookware. I got a 10 pc set of Magma stainless steel cookware. It has a 5 qt stock pot and a couple smaller sauce pans with a lid that doubles as a fry pan. The whole set nests in a space about 10" wide by 10" tall. Then I carry either a 10" or 12" cast iron camp Dutch oven. The group I camp with cooks most everything in a Dutch Oven. I also carry a 5" CI fry pan. It's perfect for making a 2 fried egg sandwich for breakfast.

Comment

I like to take as little as possible, so I struggle with which cookware to take. I camp alone mostly (since people think they can't live without a toilet and shower for a weekend) and don't need a lot. Anywhooo- I always have my Lodge seasoned steel 10in skillet, 10 inch round griddle, and a small pot. I don't bother with a grill anymore. No grill means no charcoal or charcoal chimney.

Comment

Working...
                  X