Stove project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stove project

For backpacking, I got an awesome little water boiling stove: an MSR Reactor system. This is like the JetBoil: an integrated system with a 1.0 liter pot with heat sink fins on the bottom that fits directly on top of a catalytic burner. Lousy for simmering a bernaise sauce, but the bomb for boiling water (1.5 minutes), especially in the wind.

I figured, why not use this for car camping, since I am always boiling 16 ounces of water to make coffee. The only problem is that these backpacking stoves are so tipsy.

So, I came up an idea for a project. Take the cool little Snow Peak aluminum table, drill a hole in it, and put the stove through the table so it can't tip over!

The 1.5 inch hole is small enough that the table is still useful by itself, but also turns the MSR reactor into an ultra-stable water boiling machine for car camping. The table is light enough (11 ounces) to maybe even make it into a backpacking kit.

Re: Stove project

Voila! The finished project. Stove fits perfectly, just enough room for my coffee thermos and drip cone in front. The table breaks apart and stores in a flat 5 inch by 12 inch rip stop pouch. I think this is a keeper:

Comment

A great solution hwc to the issue of the tippy mini-stoves. Good job!!!
      “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
      ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

My job will require me to be outside for this upcoming winter, with power on certain places on the job. So I plan on using my jet boil to make coffee/hot tea. I already used it on a very chilly morning and the non camping guys were amazed by it. It will be nice to have a hot drink or hot soup on a very chilly day.
        These types of stoves work well for more than just backpacking.
        Nights camped in 2019: 24
        Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Yeah, i went with the Reactor for backpacking because, realistically, what else are you going to do except boil water to prepare backpacking food? These things really walk all over conventional stoves in the wind.

The downside is the butane/propane canisters don't work well when it's really cold (below 20 degrees), which I hope is a limitation I seldom run into while camping!

Comment

Nice set-up there. Looks to be quite handy.
            2014 Heartland Cyclone 4114 5th-Wheel ToyHauler

NIGHTS CAMPED:

2013 - 58 / 2014 - 44 / 2015 - 52 / 2016 - 48 / 2017 - ​34 / 2018 - ​??

Comment

Very Cool!

Comment

Nice solution! Santa must have brought your Snow Peak aluminum table/tray early...
                2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
                Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
                Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
                Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Very nice, MacGyvering there! I'm curious how hesitant you were in cutting a large hole in a Snow Peak piece of gear. Modifying expensive gear makes me kind of nervous. LOL

Comment

Not too nervous. It's pretty thin anodized aluminum, so I knew a hole saw would cut it easily. I just taped up both sides of the aluminum with painter tape, clamped the whole thing solidly to a work bench, and drilled a pilot hole. The 1.5 inch hole saw worked fine. I just went slowly with the drill. Afterwards I used some extra fine grit wet/dry sandpaper to smooth off the drilled hole. Worked fine.

Comment

Very cool project! I really like it! I too have had 'tippy' troubles at times.
                      Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Working...
                      X