Higher costs to get in to National Parks Looms in the Future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Higher costs to get in to National Parks Looms in the Future

According to CNN (http://goo.gl/ICjVSI) starting in 2015, National Parks increase the charge of the entrance fee. "Yosemite National Park, which released its fee proposal on Tuesday, wants to increase its weekly entrance pass from $20 to $30. Camping fees would rise from the current range of $5 to $20 per night for family sites ($40 per night for group sites) to a range of $6 to $24 per night for family sites ($48 per night for group sites)." (CNN)

What are your thoughts on this?
    Visit www.gearspoke.com for all of your rental needs!

Re: Higher costs to get in to National Parks Looms in the Future

I gave the Park Service two chunks this year. The $20 7-day pass for Acadia National Park in Maine.

My 1-year White Mountain National Forest parking sticker for $20 that saves me the $3 fee at trailheads when I go hiking.

And $20 for an annual 1-year White Mountain National Forest parking sticker that saves me the $3 fee at trailheads when I go hiking.

I would say that both purchases were incredible bargains considering the fresh air, scenery, and exercise I got. Definitely the best value I've ever gotten in return for money to the federal government! I won't complain if those fees bump up to $25 next year.

Comment

This is the first year I bought the pass. $80 get me in any National Park, good for 12 months from the month you buy it and includes whoever is in the car, up to 6. After purchasing it I also ready that it gets you out of fees on all BML land too.
      JohnJohn
      ---------
      Forum Admin

Comment

A rise in fees wouldn't bother me at all. We go to Yellowstone once, sometimes twice a year & try to hit Glacier every 2 years. In my opinion, it's well worth the money for the beauty that my eyes get to see.
        2014 Heartland Cyclone 4114 5th-Wheel ToyHauler

NIGHTS CAMPED:

2013 - 58 / 2014 - 44 / 2015 - 52 / 2016 - 48 / 2017 - ​34 / 2018 - ​??

Comment

Park entrance passes/fees are something I don't mind paying as I receive good value and like to think, in a small way, that I am contributing to the upkeep/maintenance of these wonderful places. I purchase a Indiana State Park pass every January ($40) and easily get my money's worth.
          2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
          Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
          Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
          Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

And for all of the dudes and dudettes over 62, there's a lifetime membership pass available that would include other occupants of the vehicle as well. It's only $10 on site and $20 through the mail. Check it out. I was able to obtain one at Acadia last year.

http://www.nps.gov/findapark/passes.htm

Enjoy,
            elliot
            Last edited by michelliot; 10-30-2014, 07:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnJohn View Post
              This is the first year I bought the pass. $80 get me in any National Park, good for 12 months from the month you buy it and includes whoever is in the car, up to 6. After purchasing it I also ready that it gets you out of fees on all BML land too.
              ----------------
              you will probably get more use out of it out west
              i bought the $80 pass few years ago when we took a 4000 mile road trip with making national parks our primary destinations, east coast doesnt have many national parks like out west, mostly event specific locations, civil war sites, wright bros NP, etc...
              for us $80 was not worth it, it did not include parking , tours, or specific events, ferry at ft sumter was additional $18 per person, mammoth cave did not include entrance to cave sites, only walk around the grounds.
              most of the entrance fee's at the smaller NP parks were very low like $2,

Comment

All very true, thank you for your feedback!
                Visit www.gearspoke.com for all of your rental needs!

Comment

I have no problem with the increase in fees. $24 for a campsite is still a great rate - cheaper than a hotel room by far. And I do appreciate that they are keeping the rates low enough for it to be affordable for families.

California State Parks charge anywhere from $5 to $75 for a campsite: http://www.parks.ca.gov/pages/737/fi...eb_camping.pdf
                  “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Wow!

$75 is more than I usually pay for a motel room when travelling in the winter season, including dog fees.

Comment

Yep. And to top it off, dogs aren't allowed on trails, etc. at the state parks - they can be in the developed campgrounds and on paved and fire roads only and they can't be left unattended.

A solo camper with a dog is basically stuck to the campsite and wandering the roads. Some parks don't enforce it, but you don't know which ones until you go try it.

That's why I go to the national forests - I can actually enjoy the outdoors and sights WITH my dogs and it costs a lot less ($25 or less per night).
                      “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Yes, National Forests give quite a lot of freedom, at least in the mountain west.

I tend to seek places out remote dirt roads, so no cost, but there arent any amenities. I may be a relic of a bygone time. Theres a few places left that works though.

Been thinking of ways to make it more comfortable and still be able to get out and away. Tent camping and sleeping on the ground doesn't have quite as much appeal at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by Malamute View Post
                          Yes, National Forests give quite a lot of freedom, at least in the mountain west.

I tend to seek places out remote dirt roads, so no cost, but there arent any amenities. I may be a relic of a bygone time. Theres a few places left that works though.

Been thinking of ways to make it more comfortable and still be able to get out and away. Tent camping and sleeping on the ground doesn't have quite as much appeal at this point.
                          I'm with you but I get the feeling that dispersed/primitive camping is easier out west.
                          “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                          – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by James. View Post
                            I'm with you but I get the feeling that dispersed/primitive camping is easier out west.

Yes, very much so.

Earlier in my life I chose to arrange to be where I wanted to be to follow my passions. Its inconvenient in some ways, like not being as close to family, but has been tremendously satisfying in most aspects.

It doesn't work for everyone, but for some that make the choice to follow their dreams, its hard to conceive of any other life.

Comment

Beautiful Image

Comment

Working...
                              X