Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tent camp first time with 2 and 4 y/o boys. What gear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tent camp first time with 2 and 4 y/o boys. What gear?

It's finally nice cool fall weather and I'm itching to do my first family camping trip. I became a very experienced backpacker in college, but this is my first experience with kids and family style "car camping".

I have a good size 4 person tent and lots of backpacking stuff for myself (+20 bag, 0 bag, thermarest, ridgerest, etc). I also have a coleman queen air matress, but I'm thinking that nobody will sleep with both kids on the same air matress as us.

So.... down to about 30 degrees... what should be the base sleeping layer for all of us? I'm thinking two self inflating pads- one for us, one for the kids?

For bags, I figure I can use my +20 deg western mountaineering down bag, wife can use the 0 deg bag, oldest kid has a coleman type bag. I was going to get another for the 2 year old. And then bring a big old comforter to put over all of us if it's too cold.

What else? I figure books, ipads, marshmellows, BBQ, stove, cooler, lots of food and water and spare clothes.

For the shakedown trip, I can go to the local state park that has camping so if the SHTF, we can throw everything in the car and go home. Or if we forget something vital get it at home or the store. After that trip, we can try driving out the mountains.

Re: Tent camp first time with 2 and 4 y/o boys. What gear?

Your sleeping bags sound fine. You need to have a pad/mattress that is weather rated as well. If you use a garden-variety air mattress you would lose core body temperature throughout the night.

Look at get pads/mattresses that, together, will have an r-Value of 5.0 if you plan on camping in 32F weather. If colder, you would need to boost the r-Value even more.

There are a number of choices. Personally, I've gotten air mattresses from ExPed which have either synthetic or down fill in the mattress itself. There are other companies such as ThermaRest, Big Agnes. and more. The good news is that your options are more with car camping because weight will not be an issue,

Don't skimp on the pad/mattress. It is an investment. There's nothing worse than waking up in the wee hours of the night shivering knowing that the sun won't rise for another 5 or 6 hours.

By the way, Steepandcheap.com has some excellent sale going on now but they expire in 18 hours. See the link below to access it.

http://www.exped.com/usa/en/product-category/mats

http://www.cascadedesigns.com/therm-...mfort/category

https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Pr...Pad/filters/34

Steep and Cheap:

http://www.steepandcheap.com/gear-ca...ing-adventures
    Moss Big Dipper
    Alaskan Guide 8
    Alaskan Guide 6
    NorthFace Tadpole 23
    ALPS Exteme 3
    Six Moon Designs Lunar Two

Comment

Originally posted by zimm View Post
      It's finally nice cool fall weather and I'm itching to do my first family camping trip. I became a very experienced backpacker in college, but this is my first experience with kids and family style "car camping".

I have a good size 4 person tent and lots of backpacking stuff for myself (+20 bag, 0 bag, thermarest, ridgerest, etc). I also have a coleman queen air matress, but I'm thinking that nobody will sleep with both kids on the same air matress as us.

So.... down to about 30 degrees... what should be the base sleeping layer for all of us? I'm thinking two self inflating pads- one for us, one for the kids?

For bags, I figure I can use my +20 deg western mountaineering down bag, wife can use the 0 deg bag, oldest kid has a coleman type bag. I was going to get another for the 2 year old. And then bring a big old comforter to put over all of us if it's too cold.

What else? I figure books, ipads, marshmellows, BBQ, stove, cooler, lots of food and water and spare clothes.

For the shakedown trip, I can go to the local state park that has camping so if the SHTF, we can throw everything in the car and go home. Or if we forget something vital get it at home or the store. After that trip, we can try driving out the mountains.
      For a first time family camping trip with very young kids, I would do this ^^^.

+1 on wiiawiwb's advice on investing in a good "sleep system". The value of a warm, uninterrupted sleep cannot be underestimated...especially with young children. Cold nights are long nights. I would add either a closed cell foam pad under your insulated sleeping pads or a wool blanket on the tent floor.

As far as other gear and additional preparations...search the forum for cold weather camping. You'll find some ideas/advice that you can apply to your camping trip.
      2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
      Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
      Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
      Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Just a few suggestions... For a first time trip with kids, take the kitchen sink. There are a lot of lists online for family camping, but I can email you a spreadsheet if you like. You will likely not need everything, but if you bring a copy of your list you can add/remove things if need be based on your family's needs and preferences and be better, more efficiently prepared for the next trip. Believe me, it's better to over prepare and take too much than need something and have to keep running out to a store, especially if it's in the middle of the night. If you want your family to want to go back then make the experience as fool-proof as possible.

Another big suggestion is leave the electronics at home. Instead plan some activities to keep them occupied and plan on involving them in everything from setting up to tearing down. It always boggles my mind to walk through a campground and see kids plugged into a game and totally missing out on the experience.
        Last edited by rajncajn; 10-30-2014, 08:21 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I'm looking into 4 separate sleep mats and sleeping bags. I have a winter weight ridgerest that the boy can use, and a 3/4 length one that the 2 year old can use. I'll look into the heavier/thicker self inflating mats for wifey and me. My pro-lite termarest is a little light duty for camping- it's fine if I'm backpacking 20 miles, but not for car camping.

As for kids bags- REI has a kidkone and Kelty has their Woobie... any suggestions for what's best?

Comment

Just a few suggestions... For a first time trip with kids, take the kitchen sink.
            --------------
            I agree with that
            your car camping not backpacking, why not fill the car with extras,
            also remember camping with kids is all about the kids, you may not do the things you want to do for yourself, kids will be entertained by the simplest things, a stick, rocks, etc....
            also be prepared for the rain, it happens, bring a tarp you can cover the tent with, and try to wait out the rain, rain will eventually p**** if there are trees at the campsite see if you can set up a tarp for a dry area outside,
            worst comes to worst, and have to pack it up, at least you learn what to prepare for next time
            get out there and enjoy

Comment

Just got back from a trip at a state park with a 2 and 4 yo. Can't give advice on the cold weather as it was 55-75 for most of our trip. We stayed for 4 nights. I would definitely bring the iPad though, something about being in a tent at night makes them kids crazy. We bought a couple movies off of iTunes and only let them watch them right before bed. After fishing, hiking and playing all day they never saw more than 30 min of the movie and they were out. We also brought some toy trucks and their wagon for them to play during the day. Hope y'all have a good trip, the kids will have a blast.

Comment

My wife made lots of plans for comfortable uninterrupted sleep the first time we took the little ones. I finally just said, Look. It's camping with kids. No one is going to get a full night's sleep. If nothing else you have to wake up a few times to move them out from where they burrowed under you and cover them back up. And that's to say nothing about the 3 am potty break.

We, by the way, take a potty to set up under a vestibule or in a screenhouse just by the tent. If you wear them out real and limit fluids before bedtime they might only need tending to once per night, but don't count on it.

Take lots of snacks and drinks. And toys and games and books. And changes of clothed, etc. And don't feel like you have to leave their leapfrog or kindle at home just because its camping. It's a whole new world for them, so having a few things that are just like home helps settle them into it.

Comment

Get the cheap rain ponchos. Bring lots of extra clothes for the kids. Bring lots of baby wipes. Then let the kids REALLY be outdoors. Let them run in mud puddles, make mudpies, spin in the rain, dig for treasure, etc. Let them get as dirty as they can. This is what I remember most about camping as a kid - getting dirty and it not being a big deal. It makes being outdoors more fun when you don't have to worry about getting in trouble for grass stains, etc. Before bed, clean them up as much as possible with the baby wipes and slide them in their sleeping bags.

Get one of those recipe books for easy campfire meals. bacon wrapped hot dogs on a stick, waffle cones filled with banana, chocolate and marshmallows, pie iron sandwiches, etc. These are all meals that the kids can help prepare - at their ages, they'll love it.

I absolutely agree with rajncajn about getting them involved in everything from the beginning. They'll love being helpful. Also, let them pick an activity to do - whether it's taking a hike, star gazing, etc. And don't necessarily hold to a set time schedule - let them sleep late in the morning and stay up to see the stars, etc. (this is dependent upon the individual child as some can't handle schedule changes).

I'm with the "leave the electronics at home" group. I've just seen too many kids who don't know how to enjoy the outdoors. An acre of great climbing trees, granite rock outcroppings, lizards, bugs, etc., and the kids sit there bored and don't know what to do... At their young ages, it's a great time to teach them that enjoyment. I would include games (old maid, go fish, board games), books, drawing supplies, etc. for them - those are great for down time. Another thing you might try is a cheap digital camera - it's a great way for them to see things differently, and will provide visual memories. A book of camp songs would be fun for them also.
                  “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

My thoughts for family camping
                    1 Food / beverages
                    2. tent/place to sleep
                    3. Attire to stay warm / cool and dry for changing weather.
                    4. whatever you need for making fire / cooking / campfire chat, etc.
                    5. frisbee, football, ipad, etc. whatever you need to pre-occupy kids with...
                    --- off / bug spray... it helps, but this summer was still very bad for tics. :-(

they will have a great time, just keep them warm and have snacks and food available, and then the rest of the time is just hanging out good quality family time or exploring / hiking around / or just hanging out in camp chairs by the fire.. I have taken my 4 year old twice now and besides for tics he has had a great time and we have had absolutely no agenda and I look back and wonder... where did the time go?

Comment

I agree with some things and disagree with others.

We have camped many times now with 3 kids under 7, starting when my youngest was just under 2.

Electronics: There is a time and a place for them. When DP and I are trying to get dinner together, it would have been super helpful to have a distraction that kept the kids quiet, still, and out of the way--because kids that young getting into everything just before dinner (including an open fire) isn't ideal.

Smores: Ice cream cones (the triangle shaped ones that are actually waffly, not the flat bottom ones) filled with nutella or peanut butter, chocolate chips, and mini marshmellows... wrapped in foil, then "grilled" over the fire. It's SLIGHTLY less messy.

Showers: are sheer hell but a necessary evil. Definitely makes everyone feel better, and absolutely worth the hassle. Evening, not morning, as it'll be freeeeeeeeezing cold in the morning obviously.

Stuff: sidewalk chalk, kites, pail and shovel, various outside stuff. Bubbles. Etc.

Snacks. Sippy cups. Easy to drink and eat stuff. Make sure your meals are normal or only slight variations of normal if possible for the first few trips... stuff you KNOW they will eat. Don't be ashamed of going super easy (ie, we always pack two racks of pre-cooked pre-seasoned ribs... toss em on the grill to warm up and DONE).

Our first trip every YEAR is at Chehaw, minutes from home. If we forget something, we can go get it (and make note of it for future trips). If it's an absolute disaster, we can go home.

Make sure you pack safely. I'm not sure what you drive, but everything not secured can become a projectile. Heavy items on bottom, lighter stuff on top, etc.

ETA: Wine and beer. Necessary after the kids are in bed. For adult survival.
                      Camping photos: https://www.instagram.com/adventure_outside_thebox/
                      Nights under the stars:
                      2013: 8 2014: 6 2015: 12
                      2018: 4 2019: 17 2020: 15

Comment

We've been camping with the daughter since she was 3 weeks old. We are crazy like that.

Anywho, depending on where you are camping if there is no showers just like the other poster said, bring lots lot's of baby wipes. We have cots that we sleep on so not sure about the air mattress idea, but do make sure the pads are of good quality.

Again, like everyone else has mentioned, you will want to overpack than underpack. We normally don't pack any toys for our daughter since she usually is out running around doing whatever it is kids do during camping. As she gets older that might change, but for the moment she's content.

Great idea for being in a state park!

Comment

Working...
                        X