That's not a knife...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That's not a knife...

Yesterday I thought I'd lost my Skeletool that I've had for about 4 years now and got to looking around the net for a good replacement. Thankfully I found it, but it got me wondering what kind of blades you all take with you when you go camping or hiking.

A good knife is something that I never do without and I've always had an attraction to the multi-tools. For years I'd used the Gerbers and actually keep one in my truck at all times as well as one in with my camping gear, but the one I always keep on me and use the most is my Skeletool. The only other utility blade I take with me on camping trips is the Gerber Gator Jr. It's a nice machete, but the saw blade doesn't cut nearly as well as I'd hoped. I prefer whatever eqpt I take be multi-purpose and while the blade does what I need, it doesn't serve any other purpose. I've been considering looking at the SOG version as a replacement.

Re: That's not a knife...

I like different knives for different tasks
    Always prefered fixed blade over folding blades
    Have a 5-6" winchester fixed blade that i really like
    Carry it with me more for mental reasons than practicle reasons
    Last time camping realized i had no fork/spoon
    Fashioned a spoon out of a branch
    Used the 6" knife but a smaller knife would have been better suited for the task

And i am probably ne of the few that dont like multitools
    Tools that try to do too much generally dont do any 1 task very well

Comment

Originally posted by terasec View Post
      I like different knives for different tasks
      Last time camping realized i had no fork/spoon
      Fashioned a spoon out of a branch
      :D that's awesome.

Comment

I have a plastic handle Spyderco Endura (3.75 inch blade) that I use for cooking (and mostly cutting my steak!):

And, a small Spyderco Manbug (2 inch blade) that I carry in my pocket when I'm camping/hiking:

The Spydercos are insanely sharp.

I have a Leatherman Juice multi-tool in the car if I need it for car camping. Not much of a knife, but it's got the screw drivers and pliers and so forth.

I've also got a baby Swiss Army knife (the smallest one with a blade and scissors and tweezer) and a pair of nail clippers in my backpack -- there is nothing more annoying than a fingernail catching on fleece gloves every time you put them on or off!

Last edited by hwc1954; 10-24-2014, 04:44 PM.

Comment

I sometimes like to say "go big or go home", and am a proud owner of 2 Scagels among my Jim Parker legacy knives...far right custom is genuine mastadon:

5th and 6th left-to-right are Scagels. 2nd from left is a period converted (after being broken) civil war sword, a common way to recycle good steel in the old days.
          Last edited by tplife; 11-02-2014, 05:55 PM.
          “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
          ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Wait,..didn't we just have this thread recently?

I cant find it now, or the general group of replies I remembered.

Comment

Originally posted by Malamute View Post
              Wait,..didn't we just have this thread recently?

I cant find it now, or the general group of replies I remembered.
              Something happened to the database I believe. I couldn't get access to the site earlier in the week (think it was Wed) with the site saying essentially "database error". The day before I thought I had noticed something strange with some of the threads view counts going crazy high.

When the site came back up later on in the day, everything (new posts, replies, etc.) went back to 10/24. Anything posted from late 10/24 to 10/29 early was gone. I assumed the site db admins had to go back to the last clean database backup day and restore the site from there.

I thought I was nuttier than usual when I first noticed it.

Carry on with the Knife discussion....
              Last edited by a65hoosier; 11-01-2014, 12:31 PM.
              2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
              Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
              Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
              Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X