Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Christmas Gifts For Campers-What's Your Top 5 Items?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christmas Gifts For Campers-What's Your Top 5 Items?

Start Your Christmas Shopping Early

It's October and it's still sunny and warm in California. It's time to think about Christmas shopping.

List The Top 5 Camping Items That You Would Like To Receive

The following 5 gifts are just wishes. It's fun to dream.

1. 4x4 Ford E350 Sportsmobile. $60k brand new.
    2. Subaru Forester. $5k for a used one.
    3. Toyota 4Runner. $5k for a used one.
    4. Colorado Camper Top Bunk. These roof top tents sell for over $2500.
    5. QuickSilver Living Lite light weight camping trailer. $5k

Top 5 Realistic Camping Gifts

These are gifts that you are likely to receive.

1. Ultra Bright LED Lanterns. $25 at Amazon!

Click image for larger version

Name:	DivineLEDLantern.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	72757

2. Coleman Dual Fuel Stove. My Coleman stove is getting really beat up after 8 years of constant abuse. I can find one for under $100.

3. Wiggy Sleeping Bag. It's a 20 degree sleeping bag that is tough enough to throw into the regular washing machine. Made in the good old USA! Lamilite is lofty insulation. The more loft surrounding your body, the more difficult it is for your body heat to escape.

4. Lodge Cast Iron Griddle from Amazon. $15.

5. MSR Water Works Filter, $73 at Amazon.
    Last edited by markkee; 10-24-2014, 09:01 AM.
    Visit me at Campward Bound for more camping information.
    sigpic

Re: Christmas Gifts For Campers-What's Your Top 5 Items?

I've got the MSR water filter. It works great. Seems to be relatively fool proof (at least this fool can work it), indestructible in the outdoors, and easy to clean up at home (just take it apart and boil the ceramic filter before storage).

I think I'm asking Santa for a couple of Snow Peak stocking stuffers:

Baja Burner Stove: I only do simple cooking for one, so the cast iron Camp Chef is overkill, but I don't like having to balance a skillet on a backpacking stove. This this is light, but very stable. Perfect for car camping.

And Hozuki Lantern:

And, the cutest little 12 oz. backpacking table:

Comment

I always like these threads. And who knows? Maybe Santa is a campingforums member and will see my post. Here's mine:

1. Kelty Noah's Tarp 16. $99.90 at Amazon. Yes, these often go on sale, but I thought your elves could whip one up at cost. I have the Noah 12, but the 16 would add some additional versatility in setting up a dry camp. If I've been real good, the MSR Zing would be a very nice upgrade.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009R9FTW4/...48QW1RUO&psc=1

2. Therm-a-rest Comp Pillow. $20 at Amazon. My wife bought herself one...and gushed about how comfortable it was. Good size for use at home and car trips too.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FAAU60Y/...JFT55KI3&psc=1

3. ALPS Mountaineering Poly Cotton Sleeping Bag liner. $21.13 at Amazon. I thought these would work well with our self inflating sleeping pads. Big enough size for our pads. At camp, slide the pad into the liner, to protect the pads top/bottom from dirt/sweat, or use as a lightweight sheet bag only for warmer temps. At home, slide the pad into the liner for storage to keep the dust off (I store my pads unrolled and valve open). Easy to wash.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004QJLAFK/...=I7HPF1964BISD

4. LifeStraw Personal Water Filter. $19.95 at Amazon. It gets good reviews and thought it would be a nice item to have in the pack.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006QF3TW4/...=IGCTWKEX1JCME

5. Snow Peak Hozuki LED Candle Lantern. $79.95 at Amazon. This is also on my wish list. I have the Mini Hozuki led lantern and it really is a beautiful little lantern. This one is the larger...softball size. These put out a very warm color yellowish light (3000k) which is very natural and easy to read by. The candle flicker feature is nice out on the table at night....pointed up, it lights up the tarp with a soft glow.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0038PJ4UG/...YXQ0UPVI&psc=1
      2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
      Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
      Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
      Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by hwc1954 View Post
        I've got the MSR water filter. It works great. Seems to be relatively fool proof (at least this fool can work it), indestructible in the outdoors, and easy to clean up at home (just take it apart and boil the ceramic filter before storage).

I think I'm asking Santa for a couple of Snow Peak stocking stuffers:

Baja Burner Stove: I only do simple cooking for one, so the cast iron Camp Chef is overkill, but I don't like having to balance a skillet on a backpacking stove. This this is light, but very stable. Perfect for car camping.

And Hozuki Lantern:
        I want the Baja Burner!
        sigpic

Comment

hmm
          off the top of my head,
          lightweight waterproof tarp
          more dried meals, i get mine from the dollar store and could use more, started using them quite a bit,
          smaller backpack for day trips,
          winter boots
          snow shoes
          new filter for my kataydyne water filter, current one is +10 yrs old
          a good camping coffee mug, have that itty bitty mug that comes with cook set, holds like 2-3 sips

Comment

I'm easy with gifts. I just tell everyone to get a five or ten dollar gift card for Amazon or REI. "Want to go crazy? Make it 20."

Comment

That Snow Peak stuff had better be a gift...... I sure can't afford it myself! :(
              Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Originally posted by Bigdog57 View Post
                That Snow Peak stuff had better be a gift...... I sure can't afford it myself! :(
                Snow Peak is amazing. If you buy it piece by piece, it's affordable. Ask for a few items for stocking stuffer.

I found this Snow Peak lightweight cook set for under $50.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bigdog57 View Post
                  Yeah - I let out a WTF when I saw the price for that stove. Looks SWEET! Just way out of my price range...

Comment

Snow Peak doesn't take any prisoners with their pricing. Definitely a premium brand, although some of their stuff isn't terribly expensive.

The Baja Burner stove is essentially the same guts as this MSR Windpro 2 that sells for $100:

So, the extra $60 is for the big stainless steel platform, cast iron support grate, being able to use big skillets without everything toppling over, etc.

Of course, MSR doesn't take any prisoners either!

I think both of these stoves are made by Kovea in Korea. Sierra Trading Post has some good deals on Kovea stoves with an additional 35% off these prices:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/s~kovea/

Comment

That's funny (probably because I'm easily amused) - I LOVE the Windpro II but didn't notice the similarities with the Snow Peak. Now I'm gonna hafta save my nickels and dimes and take the plunge one day.

Comment

The big similarity is that both the MSR and Snow Peak stoves are designed to use the gas canister upside down. Liquid flows out of the cannister and gets vaporized in the metal tube that is heated by the flame. This lets the canisters work better in cold weather and allows burning all of the fuel in a canister.

Comment

I saw these at Costco

they look neat, but what really can you use em for?

They are pretty small

Comment

The mini cast iron skillets are cool. I will take a look at them at our local Costco. Thanks!
                            sigpic

Comment

I have a mini pan like that - and a mini pot with lid. I've never used them. They really aren't good for doing anything other than melting butter (for popcorn) or chocolate (for fruit, etc.). You can't even fry an egg because you can't flip it. For not much more space, you can just bring your small saucepan and be able to actually cook. As I write this, I realize I need to remove them from my gear and open up some space.

A great gift from Costco are the throw blankets. They have one for $20 or so that is extra thick and warm and divinely soft. I have 2 in the RV. On cold nights, I put one over my regular bedding and I'm as warm as can be. They have lighter weight ones that are great for the car. I have more than I could possibly use and I still can't pass them by.

I'm getting my Christmas present early - the RV is in the shop having the front fuel tank reconnected! That will double the distance I can go before refueling.
                              “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Working...
                              X