FL coast trip run down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FL coast trip run down

Thought I'd contribute a few things from our recent trip to St. George Island. It's a lovely place as can be seen from a quick Google. We were too busy having fun with our toddlers to take many pictures. Porpoise and turtles were active in the surf. I didn't get to fish much. Biggest was about a three foot shark that that self released after a fight. Got my lure back and everything! I wanted to take a picture of the half-fly fiberglass pole discount tent that was flattened over a night of 20+ gusts and 1"+ of rain, but it seemed rude.

The campground overall is very small with sites best suited to RVs wedged in right atop one another. The recommended tent sites have more room, but no shade. Some RVs stalls have shade but no view. I expect those would be buggy. The mosquito spray truck came around the night we got there. We had to wear spray and burn coils that night, but not after. We took our shade with us. The screenhouse and a 10x10 canopy were sufficient.

I was pleased with the new 10x10 tent. It got down in the 60s overnight. I left the top and bottom vents open. All five of us stayed warm and dry. The little ones tripped over a line once each. I decided to try a $10 blowup and sheet n blanket instead of my roll'n'go and bag this trip. Didn't get too hot like usual.

We used a 70qt 5day and 50qt 6day cooler stored in the suv. The 5 was packed with food and frozen milk jugs and still had big blocks of ice after four days. The 6 had frozen water bottles and quart Ziplocs. We had to fill in with more drinks and bag ice on day three. The 6 was most often not closed all the way due to preschoolers getting snacks and drinks.
    Attached Files

Re: FL coast trip run down

I've never caught a shark...but I think I would be happy with a self release.

Nice tent!!! Sounds like a great trip.
    2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
    Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
    Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
    Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

I caught a shark once. A three foot sand shark. He cooked up plenty fine! No bones, made 'hockey pucks' of boneless meat out of him. Shark is a bit bland, especially to those of us who were raised on mullet and catfish.
      Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Hats off to anyone willing g to go to the trouble to bring one to table. Little ones I reel them up close and cut the leader. Big ones I thumb the spool and lean back 'til they cut the leader for me. The one spinner shark I hooked was a decent tarpon substitute, but y'all can have the rest.

Comment

Working...
        X