2011 Toyota Highland as towing vehicle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2011 Toyota Highland as towing vehicle

We are up-grading from a 2005 Fleetwood Utah pop-up to a 2015 Flagstaff Microlite 21 FBRS which weights about 4000 lbs. Our towing vehicle is a 2011 Toyota Highlander V6 with towing package and electric breaks. This vehicle is great for our present pop-up, but the camper we are looking at is nearly 1000 lbs heavier and much larger.

We would appreciate any real world experience from anyone with this or very similar situations.

Re: 2011 Toyota Highland as towing vehicle

It seems you're over the recommended towing capacity for your vehicle. What does your owners manual list as the towing capacity? If you don't have a weight distribution hitch, I'd get one.

Comment

Re: 2011 Toyota Highland as towing vehicle

Hi Darlin,

I have been hoping I could edit my initial response, but since I am a new member I have no access to my original reply.

I looked a little more carefully at the specs for your Highlander and see your model does have a 5000 lb towing capacity. It's actually the same capacity and tongue weight ratings as my 4X4 Tacoma.

I'm towing a 3400 lb (Dry weight) 18' Komfort with my 6 cylinder Tacoma. I haven't had any issues, but it is a bit slow on long grades and steep hills. It tows really nice with the weight distribution hitch - no swaying, no dolphining. I also bought extension mirrors to see around the trailer.

One thing I added was a removable rod above my trailer hitch and the ball. It makes it a lot easier to light up the truck when hooking up. Similar to this system, but mine doesn't light up:
      http://www.bettatalk.com/hitching_alone.htm

Comment

Working...
      X