Advice on a new tent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on a new tent

First off want to say hello to everyone, just stumbled across this forum while searching for a new family tent. Was wondering if anyone had any input on a kelty Parthenon 8? Did a search and couldn't find any reviews on it that wasn't from a site that sold it. I have a cheap academy brand tent that leaks really bad and am looking for something dry that will last awhile. Only really camp at the state park campgrounds here in LA. so it doesn't have to be a 4 season tent. Also what are your thoughts on a coleman prairie breeze cabin tent? Also why do the more expensive tents not have a tarp style floor like the cheaper ones, fairly new to this and looking for some advice thanks

Re: Advice on a new tent

Hi Ccfish, welcome to the forum! Sorry I missed your post.

I don't have either of the Kelty Parthenon 8 or the Coleman Prairie Breeze, but if I had to take one, it would be the Kelty based on the waterproof mm rating of 1800 vs the Coleman at 800 (I believe). Also the Kelty has more than an umbrella style rainfly....not a full...but still better than the Coleman.

I have a few questions...these are both huge tents. Is there a definite need for this size? How many members in your typical camping group? Will the tent footprint fit in the campground sites you are planning to stay? Could your group be split and comfortable in a couple of 6 man tents?
    2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
    Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
    Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
    Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

The Kelty looks like a solid tent in that size range. in addition to the more waterproof fabrics than the Coleman, it also has very high quality DAC aluminum poles. Much stronger and more durable the fiberglass poles on the Coleman.

I would agree with a65's suggestion to consider whether you would be better off with two smaller tents.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I went ahead and bought the kelty tent. Set it up in the backyard, it is really big plenty of room, and seems to be made well. I have two small kids 2, 4, and wifes already hinting at another so the 2 tents wouldnt work very well, mostly camp at the state parks in the spots for the campers and rv's so the size shouldnt be an issue and the rv pads give me a good place to park the boat and theres power and water hookups. Thanks for the advice, we are leaving tomorrow for caney lake for 4 nights, hope the fish are biting and ill post something to let yall know how the tent holds up.

Comment

New tent worked out great. Plenty of room for us and the kids. We only had one small shower while we were packing up to leave so can't say how waterproof it is yet, but as far as everything else it was perfect. It is a big tent 10x13 but can be set up by one person only fault was the stakes that came with it bend really easy but that's an easy fix. Anyway we had a great trip, caught some fish, and the kids had fun. We're already planning our next trip.

Comment

Originally posted by Ccfish View Post
            New tent worked out great. Plenty of room for us and the kids. We only had one small shower while we were packing up to leave so can't say how waterproof it is yet, but as far as everything else it was perfect. It is a big tent 10x13 but can be set up by one person only fault was the stakes that came with it bend really easy but that's an easy fix. Anyway we had a great trip, caught some fish, and the kids had fun. We're already planning our next trip.
            That is great news! Keep us updated on your next trip and share some photos.
            Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
            Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
            Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

want to say hello to everyone, just stumbled across this forum while searching for a new family tent. Was wondering if anyone had any input on a kelty Parthenon 8? Did a search and couldn't find any reviews on it that wasn't from a site that sold it. I have a cheap academy brand tent that leaks really bad and am looking for something dry that

Comment

Afew photos from the trip.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	69969Click image for larger version

Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	69970Click image for larger version

Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	69971Click image for larger version

Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	69972Click image for larger version

Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	69969Click image for larger version

Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	69970Click image for larger version

Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	69971Click image for larger version

Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	69972

Comment

Looks like y'all had a great time.

Comment

Thanks for the pics Ccfish! Love the kids and fishing photos.

sigpic

Comment

hello I don't know if you bought the tent or not but in my experience anything from kelty or Sierra Designs is a great choice pick the size you need and feel comfortable in their quality.

Comment

Kelty went low-end years ago as afar as high-end tents go, but as observed, a better design than the Coleman. Hope your experience is better than ours, anything larger than a 10 X 10 just won't fit out here in the Southwest as campsites go, so we went ahead and took two tents each time with the kids.
                        “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                        ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Working...
                        X