Two tarps: Kelty Noah and MSR Zing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two tarps: Kelty Noah and MSR Zing

I'm a big fan of free standing tarps. They are easy to pack and carry and can be used in many ways at a campsite. The main use for me is sun/rain/dew/drizzle protection over the picnic table and cooking area. I set it up first which gives me a dry workspace on the picnic table to unpack the tent, cook stuff, etc. And, I take it down last for the same reason: a guaranteed dry spot for packing up. Equally useful would be pitching the tarp over a tent, either as an awning/porch/entrance or as rain/mist/drizzle/shower insurance on a night when you want the fly removed (or for a tent that needs a little more rain protection). The great thing is that these tarps can be strung from trees, lashed to the side of camper, or erected with poles.

I've been using a Kelty Noah Tarp and just got an MSR Zing Tarp. Both are fantastic products and two of the best options out there for this sort of free standing tarp use -- as opposed to more purpose-built hammock tarps. I thought it would be fun and/or useful to compare the two, starting with a little background.

Overview

The Kelty Noah tarps have been around forever and are, by far, the value leader in this kind of tarp. The Noah is a square tarp with catenary (rounded) cuts along the ridge line and the four edges.

It can be pitched in many ways, but it is best pitched in the “diamond” configuration, with poles or other supports at two opposite corners as shown in the picture.

The MSR Zing tarp is the latest incarnation of a product from Moss Tents in Maine called the Outfitter Wing. MSR ended up acquiring the Moss tent business, continued making the Outfitter Wing, and then changed it from a heavy fabric to a lightweight silnylon. Same size, same shape, same configuration, just a much lighter version:

Like the Noah, it is essentially a “diamond” pitch tarp, but with a more complex shape and more versatility (in some ways).

Size and Shape

Kelty makes three versions of the Noah’s Tarp. I have the Noah 12, which is 12 feet by 12 feet square, just over 16 feet on the diagonal. They make a larger Noah 16 (16 ft) and a smaller Noah 9 (9 ft). The MSR Zing is essentially the same size as the Noah 12. In fact, the mounting grommets for the two end poles are exactly the same distance apart as the Noah – about 16 feet. Here’s a picture, to scale, of the two tarps, oriented over a standard 6 foot picnic table. The poles would go top and bottom on the Noah and the grommets on the Zing are in exactly the same places.

The Kelty has grommets and webbing loops at the four corners, but three more webbing loops on each side, plus three webbing loops on the top center line (for hanging from a ridge rope). The MSR has grommets at the top and bottom locations, plus webbing tie outs at seven locations around the tarp. Even though they cover the same distance, pole to pole, the MSR Zing is a bit larger tarp, extending further on the sides.

The shape of the Zing is quite flexible. It can be pitched with two poles, three poles, or four poles. The flat end (at the bottom) is ideal for staking directly to the ground, or attaching to the back of an SUV, or draping over a tent. From everything I’ve seen, the seven tie out points allow for a very taut pitch.

Fabric and Construction

The Kelty Noah is 75 denier smooth polyester with a minimal polyurethane (PU) coating with a waterproof rating of 450 mm and factory seam taping. This is similar to the rain fly on an inexpensive family tent (Coleman tents typically have 450 mm waterproofing). That’s adequate for the purpose. Mine has never leaked, although Noah’s do tend to drip or mist a little in very heavy rain or after days of rain. I’m not sure that matters much. If it’s raining that hard, the picnic area covered by the Noah is still going to be the driest place around. The Kelty is made in China

The MSR Zing uses 40 denier nylon rip stop with a silicone coating on the top side and a PU coating on the bottom side and factory seam taping. It has a waterproof rating of 1500 mm. This is the same type of fabric and coating as MSR uses on their 4 season tents. When used as a fly or tarp, it will be 100% waterproof In anything but a tropical storm (which would have blown it away before it leaked). It’s a beautiful fabric – a translucent yellow. The fabric is one of the big differences in cost. Both fabrics are fine for the purpose, the silnylon fabric on the MSR is just super high quality stuff.

Similarly, there is a significant difference in the quality of the construction. The MSR is just gorgeous. The yellow rip stop nylon is complete surrounded by a six inch border of a smooth gray nylon (same waterproofing. The Kelty Noah has corners reinforced by double layers of fabric and webbing sewn around the edges of the corners for several inches. The rest of the tarp is edged with polyester fabric. The MSR has webbing reinforcing the corners and the webbing continues around the entire perimeter of the tarp. The two grommets on the MSR are installed in wide strips of webbing, so they are less likely to pull out (a weakness of most tarps). Each of the seven corners has a pocket sewn to the bottom. Oars can be inserted into the pockets for use in place of poles. And the pockets have a Velcro closure so they can be used to store the guy line attached to each corner. The MSR is made in Taiwan.

wo tarps: Kelty Noah and MSR Zing (cont)

Accessories

The Kelty comes with four el-cheapo aluminum tent stakes that are essentially useless for securing a tarp of this size. You pretty much have to buy more substantial stakes. It also comes with plain black guylines and plastic Nite-ize adjusters. My Kelty came with a stuff sack for the stakes and one for the tarp, although I’ve seen other version that come with a zippered case.

The Kelty does not come with any poles. They must be purchased separately, which is better if you don’t want poles and fine if you do. Kelty makes a terrific adjustable pole. Chinese made 6000 series aluminum with a beefy 1 inch diameter and adjustable from 80 inches to 99 inches. It’s shock corded and breaks into three sections.

The MSR Zing includes two 90 inch tall DAC poles. These are also 6000 series aluminum, but made in Korea by DAC. It is a fixed length pole, shock-corded and breaking into five sections. The top and bottom lengths are 3/4 inch diameter, the center section is 1 inch diameter for strength. The MSR poles are bit nicer, but the adjustability of the Kelty poles is an advantage, allowing you to make any pole 18 inches taller or shorter to adjust the height of the tarp or compensate for sloping ground.

The MSR Zing also comes with precut guy lines (really nice, but not reflective, which is hard to figure since MSR sells the best reflective cord around). I would recommend upgrading the guy lines on both tarps to reflective cord, which lights up like neon when a flashlight or headlight hits it. Saves a lot of tripping! The MSR Zing also comes with seven MSR Groundhog stakes, which are pretty much the best aluminum stakes available and excellent for these kinds of tarps in anything but sand or snow. It comes seven aluminum adjuster and stuff sacks for the poles, the stakes, and the tarp.

Price and Value
    These are both terrific values. The best price I’ve seen on the Kelty Noah 12 is $70. The poles are $35 each. So a complete package of tarp and two poles would be $140 plus whatever stakes you buy to replace the hook stakes that you bend the first time you use them.

The best price I found on the MSR Zing was $315. That includes the tarp, two poles, and $18 worth of Groundhog stakes.

The MSR Zing is a high end product. More waterproof. A bit larger. Pitches tauter. Probably more durable. But, the Kelty is a very functional product at a much lower price. Pretty much the same difference you would see in Kelty versus MSR tents. The Kelty Noah is also the obvious choice if you don’t want poles, since you can’t buy the MSR without two poles. Both of these are a huge upgrade over the standard blue poly tarps more water proof, easier to pitch, easier to pack and carry, etc.

I have to give a hat tip to both companies. Kelty makes consistently good products for reasonable prices. MSR makes some of the nicest outdoor products period – from their tents to their snowshoes to their water filters to their ThermaRest mattress, to their stoves. Really innovative designs, materials, and quality. Their tarps are no exception.

Comment

Re: Two tarps: Kelty Noah and MSR Zing

Well, well, well. Turns out the designs of both of these products were from Bill Moss (of Moss Tents). He designed the original Parawing in the 1950s, along with his first dome tent (1955). Here featured in a 1950s Ford station wagon promotion and an exhibit from a Michigan art museum and a 1960s promotional picnic at his company:

And, the five sided Pentawing, designed in the 1960s. The Outfitter Wing (which is now the MSR Zing) was a larger version.

Amazing.

Comment

And the original 7 pointed Outfitter Wing set up with vintage Moss tents in Japan. This stuff is awesome:

I guess the Moss tents brand was sold to REI after Bill Moss died in 1994, and then later merged with MSR (also owned by REI). The tents were all rebranded as MSR. MSR was then sold to Cascade Designs (Thermarest) in 2001.

Amazing designs from the pre-CAD era when doing these kinds of complex shapes was really hard.

Comment

Two Moss wings. A larger version of the Parawing (about the size of the Noah 16) and a version of Heptawing slightly smaller than Outfitter/Zing:

Comment

Absolutely loving these posts, hwc!

Comment

I like these two showing the integration of the seven sided tarp with a tent. The first one is the smaller Moss Heptawing. The second is the MSR version after the acquisition and rebranding. Same product, different color fabric. I can't tell if it's the Heptawing or the larger Outfitter Wing (same as the MSR Zing). Having the more or less straight back edge makes it ideal for use as a tent porch. Imagine clipping that back wing to the top crossbar on a Kodiak or Spring bar. It would be literally a couple of carabiner clips, maybe some short guy lines. Same thing for attaching to a truck for tailgating. Add one (or three) poles for an awesome covered area.

I think the vintage Moss stuff must be huge in the Japanese collectors market. Almost all of the pictures are from Japan. And, I saw an Ebay auction on a like new, apparently unused Moss Outfitter Wing (the guy lines were still unattached). it sold for over $1000. Yikes.
              Last edited by hwc1954; 10-04-2014, 02:38 PM.

Comment

Nice post!!! A whole lotta good stuff in that review and write-up. Man....even some history in there. Just a very informative and interesting read.

Ohhhhh...the Zing is one beautiful tarp! Top quality, thoughtfully well designed, functional...it's campsite artwork. Seeing the Kelty and Zing overlaid on the picnic table, the Zing also really looks like it covers quite a bit more. I envy you having both!

I have the other version of the Kelty 12 with the zipper case....it might be the current version. Kinda of a bronze color with orange trim/tieouts/logo. Kelty included 6 better 7" Y-beam aluminum stakes with this version, they are similar in style to, but not Groundhogs. Kelty also eliminated the plastic Nite-ize adjusters and replaced them with plastic generic 3 hole adjusters. Same thick pre-tied black cord.

When I went tarp shopping, the only thing that killed me was the price of the Zing. I already had adjustable poles and just couldn't justify the $$$ when I essentially needed a tarp alone (or risk getting caught by my you-know-who justifying it - lol). And I'd worry about it walking off while I was out hiking. So I went with the Kelty.

Your Zing should make for a really nice camp set-up with your Marmot Halo. Can't wait to see pics of them set-up and configured!
                2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
                Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
                Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
                Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

The only problem I have with asymmetrical tarps is that they seem to limit the ways you can pitch them. It's almost like you need ideal conditions and/or a lot of poles to get them up like you want them. With square and rectangular tarps, as long as they have multiple attachment points, the configurations are almost limitless. This might just be my opinion, but I'm sticking to it, damn it!

Comment

MacGiver: Do you have the Oware? That looks really nice and you could fold it into any shape with all the guys.

Yeah. The Zing and similar tarps really require 7 points to be staked or guyed or poled. Makes for a very taut pitch, good in the wind, good for shedding rain, but a lot of stakes and guys and probably not ideal for pitching entirely from trees. Although, in reality, it's just a rectangular tarp with three pointy guy points on each side.

There are some really nice rectangular tarps, too. Of course, most of them are going to require more than four guys or stakes for a good taut pitch. Hilleberg makes a couple f really gorgeous square flat tarps with catenary cut edges, in two sizes and two fabric options -- ultralight or ultra strong. They take no prisoners with their pricing.

-------------------------------

I'm actually going to try it with four poles over a picnic table:

I've been using a 4-pole configuration for the Kelty Noah. Without the two side poles, you got to use really long guy lines to raise the sides up enough for headroom on the sides of the picnic table. Two short 5 foot poles let you get the sides up and use short guy lines, but it will pool water if you go higher than that.

On the Zing, I'll put one pair of poles north/south and a slightly shorter pair east/west at the longest dimension. That leaves a guy point/tie down between every two poles for a rain channel to the ground. We'll see how it works out. I've got plenty of poles!

--------------

I'm going to try the Noah for a tent awning. I try to camp mostly in good weather and would love to roll the rain fly back and expose the mesh. I just don't trust the weather where I camp. In the mountains (or in Acadia), it can be perfectly clear with a zero percent chance of rain and a little spot shower will pop up or the trees will be dripping. The Halo has great vestibules with the door zipped shut, but if you want the door open for some breeze, you could get wet towards dawn from a stray shower. For rainy weather, I'd want the full rain fly, but in nice weather, the tarp may give some in-between options. We'll see.

-----------------

I think my Noah is one generation older. It's more of a very light greenish white color with orange accents. I think there's at least one more generation before that, too. They've been making them for a while. It's really an awesome product for $70. Sounds like you've got the latest version.

-------------------

RAB makes an ultralight silnylon version of the Zing. Same design as the Zing and the dimensions are supposed to be just a few inches bigger -- although it doesn't look it from the photos (the Zing is huge). The RAB is just plain silnylon (no PU coating) and no seam taping, so it's marginally waterproof. Marketed more toward the trekking pole/minimal shelter market. Pretty reasonable price at $119. I think it would be better with a second trekking pole at the back end to turn it into an a-frame. Even just raising the back a couple feet with a collapsed trekking pole would give a LOT more room.

Fun stuff.
                    Last edited by hwc1954; 10-04-2014, 04:43 PM.

Comment

Oops. My bad. The Rab is a the quarter the size of the Zing. It's roughly half the length and half the width. Nice tarp. Pretty small for $120.

Comment

Wow. It's amazing what you can find on the internet. Here's a website that has a history of the outdoor industry and selection of old catalog pages from every major outdoor and camping products specialty brand:

http://www.inov8.au.com/compass/compasshistory.html
                        http://www.inov8.au.com/compass/compassbrands.html

They have some catalog pages for the Moss wings, starting with a 1980 catalog for the Parawings in 12 foot (same as the Noah 12) and 19 foot versions.

And the 1997 catalog. The first one shows the TENTWING, a small five side wing for attaching to a tent and the HEPTAWING, a smaller seven sided wing (9 feet long, 9 feet across):

The second shows the two PARAWING sizes and the 16 foot OUTFITTER WiNG that is now the MSR ZING.

There was another 7 sided wing tarp, called a VISTAWING (12 foot by 12 foot), that was halfway in between the HEPTAWING and the OUTFITTER WING, but it's not in any of these catalog pages. Too bad MSR doesn't make the 9 ft by 9 ft HEPTAWING. That would be the perfect size for a tent awning/porch. I guess the RAB would be pretty much the current version of the HEPTAWING. It's like 8 ft x 9 ft, 7-sided. Just not as waterproof as you'd really like for that application.

BTW, there's a price list for the 1997 versions. The OUTFITTER WING, with two 8 foot poles, retailed for $300 seventeen years ago. I guess that MSR's $399 price point today isn't so bad after all. Of course, the big difference is the huge price drop that occurred with Asian manufacturing. The 1997 Moss versions were still US made, I believe.
                        Last edited by hwc1954; 10-05-2014, 01:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by hwc1954 View Post
                          MacGiver: Do you have the Oware? That looks really nice and you could fold it into any shape with all the guys.
                          Yeah, I own it, but it looks like it'll be Spring before I take it out. I bought it to use with my smaller tents that I take out in warmer weather. The Kodiak goes out from now 'til Spring and that requires a much larger tarp to suit me. I will say it appears to be well made and I definitely look forward to putting it up

Comment

I hear ya. I just finished setting up all the guylines on the new tarp. I hate doing that at the campground. Always ends up being a half-baked job. It's worth it to take it out in the basement and take the time to get everything set up (and figure out what it's going to take to pitch it).

All the car camping campgrounds around here close on Columbus Day, so I'm hoping to sneak up for one more outing late this week. We'll see if the weather forecast holds. It'll be the smaller winter tent as night time lows will be down in the 30s and the Halo is BIG and has a big mesh ceiling that's not ideal for preserving warmth! Some of the state park and national park campgrounds are open later, but the weather gets pretty cold.

Comment

And, yet another Moss tarp clone. The high end Japanese camping gear company Snow Peak makes a bunch of tarps, including a version of the Moss Pentawing. This is a five sided tarp (as opposed to the four sided Kelty Noah parawing shape and the seven sided MSR Zing heptawing shape. It's ideal for attaching to a car, a camper, a tent, or a building. Probably the best tarp size and shape I've seen for a tent awning.

They make it in two versions. The standard Penta Light version is a 75 denier PU coated polyester (like a Kelty Noah), but waterproof rated at 1800 mm. They also make a very lightweight Penta Air version with a high-tech 20 denier PU coated silicone polyester fabric. Same size, same shape, but 15 ounces compared to 30 ounces for the standard version.

Here's a comparison of the Penta tarp to a Kelty Noah 12 and an MSR Zing. It's not really quite big enough for a picnic table, but the smaller size is better as a tent awning (or an awning on an SUV or RV.

And a photo of it attached to a small two-person backpacking tent:

Snow Peak markets this two ways: as a car camping tarp and, especially the Air version as an ultralight shelter tarp upported by a trekking pole. They even sell an inner tent to turn it into a complete package (although to be honest, I don't think these sorts of things are very comfortable or weather-worthy shelters).

Last edited by hwc1954; 10-22-2014, 12:15 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X