sleeping bag for 58 degree low

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sleeping bag for 58 degree low

I have 2 sleeping bags. A slumberjack bonie and Clyde (one side 40 degrees, other side 30 degrees) my other sleeping bag is a fleece bag (fleece blanket with a zipper (texsport)) advertised to be 50 degree comfort level. I'm a little skeptical about its 50 degree rating. So, would a 40 degree bag be too warm for a low of 58? Or should I just use the fleece?

Re: sleeping bag for 58 degree low

Hi corbmonster-welcome to the forum! Not knowing if you are a warm or cold sleeper...or if you will be alone in the B&C bag.....and taking into account that bag temp ratings are estimates...I personally would take the 40 30 sleeping bag. It can be unzipped if you find yourself too warm during the night. Not much leeway with the 50 degree fleece if the lows drop further than forecast. Just as important, however, is what is under the sleeping bag to protect you from the cold ground and it's nasty ability to pull heat from you.
    2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
    Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
    Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
    Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Thank you for your insight. I have closed cell sleeping pads. These ones in particular http://tinyurl.com/pr6renx

Comment

personally i rather be too warm than too cold,
        there is no exact bag,
        min temp rating is just that,
        i would use the 30-40 bag just in case
        and save the 50 degree bag for nice summer nights
        i currently use a 20 degree bag year round,

Comment

I have found the temp ratings to be on the generous side, and the bags really don't work that well. ALWAYS plan for a colder night than you expect. I got bit one cold night like that..... never again. You can always let out extra warmth, you can't let it in.
          Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

I have one of those fleece bags. I would be cold in that with temps in the 50s. Down to 50 degrees, I use a very light 40-degree down bag, usually unzipped as a quilt on top that I can kick off if I get too hot. That's good to about 50 with light baselayer stuff as PJs, good down to 40 or so with fleece as PJs. Below 50 I also take a 15 degree winter down bag. I'd rather have an extra bag and cover all my bases. If I use the two down bags together, I could probably survive an arctic blast.

Comment

It is my understanding that the temperature ratings on the bag are not for comfort level. If you are in a 20 degree bag it doesn't mean you will be toasty warm when the temp drops to 20.....it means you probably wont die when the temp gets to 20....you will be cold but at least you will live through the night.

Am I wrong in this?

I always get 0 degree bags. Its like Bigdog said....you can always let the hot air out but you can't let it in.
              “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
              – E. B. White

Comment

I'd say go with the warmer one...
                Better to be safe than sorry. You can always unzip it if it gets too warm but if you take the one rated for 50 you'll be SOL if you are cold...

Comment

I always pack some Grabber all weather blankets/space blankets as well - both the standard http://www.walmart.com/ip/Grabber-Al...ingMethod=p13n

and the hooded version http://www.walmart.com/ip/The-Origin...ingMethod=p13n

They also work well as a barrier under the sleeping bag, as a65hoosier mentioned.
                  - Laura
                  Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

It seems to be something you have to try and see for yourself. Apparently what works for some others would have me soaked in sweat at that temperature. I would take both and a sheet. You should be able to find a comfortable setup out of that. Then you will know for the future.

Comment

There are only a handful of companies whose sleeping bag temperature ratings are tested to be accurate. Western Mountaineering and Feathered Friends come to mind. You can push the temperature rating on a bag if you have a good r-Value sleeping mattress and you wear a down jacket and pants.

Personally, I'd rather cry once and spend the money for a high-quality bag. Otherwise, you may find yourself shivering at 1am wishing you spent an extra $xxx on a decent bag.

By the way, you can an lower the temperature rating by using two bags, one inside the other.
                      Moss Big Dipper
                      Alaskan Guide 8
                      Alaskan Guide 6
                      NorthFace Tadpole 23
                      ALPS Exteme 3
                      Six Moon Designs Lunar Two

Comment

The new European rating standards for sleeping bags seems to be pretty good.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EN_13537

They do manneguin testing with 1 layer of long johns, hat, socks, and a 1 inch sleeping pad. They give three ratings:

COMFORT RATING: coldest temp an average 25 year old woman would be comfortable

LOWER LIMIT: coldest temp for an average 25 year old man

EXTREME RATING: survival temp. Survive 6 hours without risk dying from hypothermia (frostbite is allowed!).

I have a summer Marmot Atom bag that is rated as follows by the EN test:

Comfort: 50.5°F / 10.3°C
                        Lower Limit: 43.2°F / 6.2°C
                        Extreme: 18.6°F / -7.4°C

I would say they lower limit (for men) is pretty close. I've used this bag on NeoAir pad with baselayer long johns, etc. in temps down into the 40s and been fine, but probably right at the limit of all night comfort. I was really warm at 45 degree lows (in the tent) with light fleece pants and tops instead of thinner baselayer. So, at my age, I probably sleep just a bit colder than the "average 25 year old man" in the test, but it's close enough for sleeping bag ratings.

Here's another paper that gives a lot more detail on the testing and suggests some possible improvements:

https://outdoorindustry.org/pdf/EN13...ough062209.pdf

Comment

I'd like to say thank you to everyone that replied to my question! Really, I appreciate all of you input. I did post a reply last week saying that I do have some closed cell foam pads under the sleeping bags. Perhaps the link I included to Amazon of the pads I have is why the moderators did not approve of my post. So that will provide some insulation. I do plan on using the 30 / 40 bag with the 40 side up. Also bringing the fleece bags along in case we wake up in sweat. Then wake up freezing after kicking the bag off. I originally got the fleece for warm Texas summer nights, but also as a liner for my 30 / 40 bag. Then just last week I saw an awesome sale for 0 F teton bag reduced from $120 to 45. So, I dunno if I'll need a liner for my 30/40 bag anymore :D I guess it's nice to have as an option. Again, thanks to everyone for you input.

Comment

A Marmot down bag never disappoints, and can last a lifetime. We have Ospreys, Grouse, and a Women's Trestle or whatever plus an A16, which is also a fine bag properly rated for its use.
                            “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                            ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Originally posted by tplife View Post
                              A Marmot down bag never disappoints, and can last a lifetime. We have Ospreys, Grouse, and a Women's Trestle or whatever plus an A16, which is also a fine bag properly rated for its use.
                              This thread started out as a question about sleeping bags for 58 degrees and somehow took a turn. I rarely use down sleeping bags if the weather is above freezing. If the weather turns rainy or damp for an extended stretch, sleeping bags get damp. wet/damp down sleeping bags are like sleeping in wet newspaper.

For folks that are primarily car camping, synthetic fill makes more sense. Easy to clean, easy to store, cheaper.

For folks that are winter backpacking, down is a good option: warm, light, compact.

For folks that are spring/summer/fall backpacking, I might still recommend synthetic. Down is lighter and smaller, but if it gets wet, you are better off without it. When you are backpacking, you can't just get in the car and go home when your bag gets wet.

Comment

Working...
                              X