What air mattress for our tent?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What air mattress for our tent?

Were using a Kelty 3 man tent and wife is wanting some sort of air mattress to put inside. She was bringing so many blanket to put down under herself that there was no room in the car anymore. I wan't to get another small backpacking air mattress but she want something bigger. Or any other idea.

Re: What air mattress for our tent?

FatherPenguin- Hi and Welcome to the Forum! I am assuming you have a small backpacking air mattress that you use and your wife is using blankets? If she wants a mattress bigger than yours...sure why not? lol....but hers can only be so big. It has to fit in your Kelty 3 man tent. Plenty of mattress choices out there depending on your camping style/needs.
    2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
    Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
    Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
    Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

? If she wants a mattress bigger than yours...sure why not? lol....but hers can only be so big. It has to fit in your Kelty 3 man tent. Plenty of mattress choices out there depending on your camping style/needs.[/QUOTE]

Great! I hadn't realized her's would have to fit in tent also. :tux:

Comment

The best conventional air bed I've found is the Kelty Sleep Ease. Instead of slippery PVC vinyl, it's made from a PU coated ripstop fabric. More comfortable and more durable. Big step up in quality from the usual air beds.

http://www.kelty.com/p-706-sleep-eaz...mp-accessories

It's a bit smaller than a true queen and will fit in a 3-man tent, but without much room to spare. Comes with a rechargeable pump (AC or car adaptor). Nice product.

---------------

The absolute best car camping mattress, bar none, are the Thermarest Dream mattresses. Very pricy, but they will last forever. The current version has a NeoAir mattress in a heavy duty cover with a velour top and a layer of foam. 4 inches thick, blow it up as firm as you like. No bouncing. The inner NeoAir can be removed and used as a backpacking pad -- rolls up very small. These are available in two widths (25 inches and 30 inches) and can be strapped together to form one large bed. For two people you would need two -- same size or mix and match depending on the size of your tent. These will be significantly more comfortable and warmer for cool weather camping than the Kelty air bed.

http://www.cascadedesigns.com/therm-...-dream/product

Next best would be the 3-inch thick self inflating ThermaRests for about half the price:

http://www.cascadedesigns.com/therm-...urymap/product

Comment

For car camping the mattresses that work best for us are the coleman queen size. It looks like it should fit in the kelty 3 person tent.
          Coleman queen air mattress

I think you can pick them up at walmart and amazon for $25 or so.

Very comfortable. I used to toss and turn all night when camping until we started using these.

Comment

Kamp Rite self inflating mattresses seem to be pretty highly rated. That link is to the queen size - they also come in double and twin. However there is one consistent complaint in that they don't compress all that well for transport unless you have a powerful vacuum to collapse them.

Comment

What is the lowest temperature you plan on camping in?
              Moss Big Dipper
              Alaskan Guide 8
              Alaskan Guide 6
              NorthFace Tadpole 23
              ALPS Exteme 3
              Six Moon Designs Lunar Two

Comment

If you plan on camping below 50-degrees F, you would be wise to consider nothing less than a "mattress" that has an R-VALUE OF 5.0 OR GREATER. If your mattress of interest doesn't list an R-VALUE, run, don't walk, away. Many air mattresses are tubular in design and will get colder until they're sucking the warmth right out of you. Self-inflating sleeping pads are constructed with many cellular pockets that trap heat, stopping the usual heat loss experienced with big air mattresses and cots. Companies like ThermaRest, MegaMat, REI and EMS offer R-Value-rated sleeping pads to fit every comfort and budget.
                “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Swiss is a brand I like to use.
                  Here is one on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...WKHNORWH3LJARG

Comment

Originally posted by laschke View Post
                    Swiss is a brand I like to use.
                    Here is one on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...WKHNORWH3LJARG
                    You would be highly encouraged to only use this where it's intended, in heated enclosures. It's a hollow-tube air mattress, meaning it has a negative R-Value of 0.75. You'd need 5X the insulating sleeping gear to maintain the warmth you'd have with a thermo-neutral 5.0 R-value rating. A negative R-value means it sucks the warmth out of you while you sleep in an effort to achieve the same temperature as the cold air around it.
                    “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                    ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Big Agnus
                      Last edited by Dixie Dog; 10-20-2014, 05:19 AM. Reason: Spelling, I hate spell check

Comment

Missed a g there.

Memory foam is getting cheaper. I've been trying to figure out a way to haul the 4" ones they sell at WalMart.

Comment

Originally posted by tplife View Post
                          If you plan on camping below 50-degrees F, you would be wise to consider nothing less than a "mattress" that has an R-VALUE OF 5.0 OR GREATER. If your mattress of interest doesn't list an R-VALUE, run, don't walk, away. Many air mattresses are tubular in design and will get colder until they're sucking the warmth right out of you. Self-inflating sleeping pads are constructed with many cellular pockets that trap heat, stopping the usual heat loss experienced with big air mattresses and cots. Companies like ThermaRest, MegaMat, REI and EMS offer R-Value-rated sleeping pads to fit every comfort and budget.
                          'nuff said. I stopped using uninsulated air mattresses 2 years ago because they all popped or sucked all the warm air from my body. The self inflating mattresses work great. We have several REI, ThermaRest, etc.

I currently use an insulated Nemo Cosmo air mattress made by Nemo. I need a light weight pad for back packing. The self inflating were a little too heavy. This one has a built in pump, is insulated, fairly lightweight, and gives my old bones a good nights sleep.

Last edited by markkee; 10-24-2014, 08:47 AM.
                          Visit me at Campward Bound for more camping information.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tplife View Post
                            You would be highly encouraged to only use this where it's intended, in heated enclosures. It's a hollow-tube air mattress, meaning it has a negative R-Value of 0.75. You'd need 5X the insulating sleeping gear to maintain the warmth you'd have with a thermo-neutral 5.0 R-value rating. A negative R-value means it sucks the warmth out of you while you sleep in an effort to achieve the same temperature as the cold air around it.
                            My Brothers family used one and they did not stay warm????? WHat yall said.
                            I don't pay attention to the brands I've used, My big trade off is lighter easier to carry means less comfort to me, Big Agnus has been OK so far, but the most comfortable one I have has no name, It's heavy one person, but good insulation. It's red on one side blue on the other, with 2 corks. Blows up easy.

Comment

Tanks I fiked it
                              Originally posted by howl View Post
                              Missed a g there.

Memory foam is getting cheaper. I've been trying to figure out a way to haul the 4" ones they sell at WalMart.

Comment

Working...
                              X