Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best Car Camping Cooler

Originally posted by James. View Post
    Anyone thought of or tried using the reflecdix on the outside of the cooler? Kind of like a cooler cozy?
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]5666[/ATTACH]
    I am wondering is this would be worth doing in a way that it could easily fold up and store inside the cooler when not in use.
    Nope, never tried, but it's a good idea and I am sure it would work. I like this idea more than the "inside" of the cooler reflectix liner (one less thing getting wet in the cooler). I have a small reflectix cozy for putting my dehydrated meals into while they are sitting there rehydrating. Works great to keep the food hot for the 8-10 min rehydrating time-esp in winter/cold conditions).
    2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
    Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
    Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
    Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Anyone thought of or tried using the reflecdix on the outside of the cooler? Kind of like a cooler cozy?
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]5666[/ATTACH]
      I am wondering is this would be worth doing in a way that it could easily fold up and store inside the cooler when not in use.
      I know a few people who use them (or a commercial fitted "blanket") to help the performance of their 12 volt travel/camping refrigerators.
      In the days of old, I used to raise the blow molded coolers off the ground on rocks or sticks then wrap a heavy solar blanket (reflective side out) around the cooler, the combination gave me about a half day additional cool.
      ...so I would think a cooler cozy would help...

Enjoy!
      Last edited by Happy Joe; 07-19-2016, 06:54 AM.
      2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
      For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
      Ground tents work best for me, so far.
      Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

I used that trick when I'd go to Road Atlanta for 5 days and didn't want to pay their price for a bag of ice that would melt in a few hours. I could go the complete 5 days with cold drinks and sandwich meat. Even when the ice melted, it was still cool enough to get me home. I don't know why it works so well, but it added about 2 days to my cool drinks.
        Nights camping in 2013-----12
        Nights camping in 2014----- 4
        Nights camping in 2015------8

Comment

Good timing that this came up again. I was about to revive it anyway with the drain or don't drain question.

The weather here has been brutally hot and humid, so I started carrying a 25 quart cooler in the work truck with an 8 pound bag of ice over several bottles of Gatorade to (more or less) stay alive. One day last week I got off a bit early, around 2 PM, and forgot to take the cooler out of the truck. The next morning, I didn't expect anything but Gatorade in a warm bath, but what I got was still rather cool water. That surprised me. It's an Igloo marine cooler with thin walls and maybe an insulated top. Not sure on that. But it's not a Yeti. And the truck was still out in the afternoon sun with the windows rolled up, so I know the temps inside the truck had to still be in at least the 90's for a few hours. It never got below 80 at night, so that couldn't have been a factor in keeping things cool either. All that to say, despite what the "drain people" think happens, I'm keeping my drain plugs CLOSED!

Comment

We science guys are in FULL SUPPORT of those who earn a living by selling ice out of trucks to our fellow campers. Everybody has a mortgage, kids with braces, and hobby or two to fund. "Never let facts get in the way of a good argument", LOL.
            “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
            ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

To me closed is the proper position as long as the water temperature is cooler than the outside temp. Happy camping.
              Nights camping in 2013-----12
              Nights camping in 2014----- 4
              Nights camping in 2015------8

Comment

I would love to test the drain/no drain argument. Buy 2 same coolers with drain plugs, 2 temperature reading devices, 4 bags of ice and a 24 pack of beverages. Basically...how cold is your beverage after 4-5 days in a cooler with daily drained water and another cooler with undrained ice melted water? Opened twice a day and drained once every day.

Maybe the ice would last longer if I drained off the cold water...but that reservoir of cold melted ice water seems to reach equilibrium with the outside air temp very slowly. I understand the science, but I just cannot wrap my mind around the fact that every time you drain that cooler of cold ice melt water, it is replaced with warm/hot outside air. The cooler isn't operating in a vacuum and the introduction of warm air to replace the interior volume previously held by 40 degree water with 90 degree air would seem to mess up the science. Water is a better conductor of heat than air, agree...but willingly giving up a 40 degree material and replace it with a 90 degree material...even if the replacement material is a slower conductor of heat...??? When does the difference become a difference to tip the scales?

Not really interested in how long the ice lasts but how cold the beverage is several days later. hmmmm.

lol...most of my trips aren't really long enough to worry about ice and to drain/not drain (3-4 nights). I fill the Coleman Xtreme up when I leave and still have chunks of ice (and hand numbing cold water/beverages) in the cooler upon my return.
                Last edited by a65hoosier; 07-20-2016, 06:17 PM.
                2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
                Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
                Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
                Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by a65hoosier View Post
                  I would love to test the drain/no drain argument. Buy 2 same coolers with drain plugs, 2 temperature reading devices, 4 bags of ice and a 24 pack of beverages. Basically...how cold is your beverage after 4-5 days in a cooler with daily drained water and another cooler with undrained ice melted water? Opened twice a day and drained once every day.

Maybe the ice would last longer if I drained off the cold water...but that reservoir of cold melted ice water seems to reach equilibrium with the outside air temp very slowly. I understand the science, but I just cannot wrap my mind around the fact that every time you drain that cooler of cold ice melt water, it is replaced with warm/hot outside air. The cooler isn't operating in a vacuum and the introduction of warm air to replace the interior volume previously held by 40 degree water with 90 degree air would seem to mess up the science. Water is a better conductor of heat than air, agree...but willingly giving up a 40 degree material and replace it with a 90 degree material...even if the replacement material is a slower conductor of heat...??? When does the difference become a difference to tip the scales?

Not really interested in how long the ice lasts but how cold the beverage is several days later. hmmmm.

lol...most of my trips aren't really long enough to worry about ice and to drain/not drain (3-4 nights). I fill the Coleman Xtreme up when I leave and still have chunks of ice (and hand numbing cold water/beverages) in the cooler upon my return.
                  I agree with all of this. Just because it isn't ice doesn't mean it won't keep the contents cold. And, a submerged can in cold water will stay cooler longer than a can sitting on just 6 ice cubes.
                  “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Well... it didn't surprise me at all that Science chimed in. But, like I said before, the still chilled bottles of Pepsi and Gatorade that were floating around in my cooler after hours in a hot truck convinced me as to what works in the real world.

Comment

Had a convo with older, generally considered science wiser than moi, BigSis, last year, and she flatly supported tplife's thunk.

But thennnnnnnnn a few RL moments got in the way during a suburban All Caribbean Roots Outdoor Repast ( R U thinking Hyacinth?) she gave and she begrudgingly conceded that any item already cooled in cold water would reach optimum use temperature better and faster and with less additional ice than one that sat in a drained cooler.

I think one must take into consideration what a cooler holds to decide what is best from the drained/not drained POV. From my perspective cold canned or bottled drinks need cold water but various raw meats, cheeses and various veggies, not so much.

Oops.
                      2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
                      Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

N-Girl, you should have listened closer to your sister. She meant that warm items cool faster in liquid. Once already cooled, any liquid with your sold just makes the ice go away faster and the drinks get warmer. (Don't fool with mother nature, lol). And regardless of name calling fellow-campers, it's easy to get fooled if you don't understand the basic concepts. Besides the insulated solid walls of Coleman and Igloo coolers, and periodic use of drains to retain ice, the Reflextix cover gets the nod for extending cold temps above the Danger Zone.
                        Last edited by tplife; 07-21-2016, 08:12 AM.
                        “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                        ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Originally posted by tplife View Post
                          N-Girl, you should have listened closer to your sister. She meant that warm items cool faster in liquid. Once already cooled, any liquid with your sold just makes the ice go away faster and the drinks get warmer. (Don't fool with mother nature, lol). And regardless of name calling fellow-campers, it's easy to get fooled if you don't understand the basic concepts. Besides the insulated solid walls of Coleman and Igloo coolers, and periodic use of drains to retain ice, the Reflextix cover gets the nod for extending cold temps above the Danger Zone.
                          I understood what my sister said quite well but thanks for the re-interpretation moment sort of kind of. She observed that IF you want to keep cold items continually cold you need to start cold and hold the temperature as much as possible. That self contained items like commercially packaged beverages can float in melted ice with ice added but raw meats, cheeses and similar foods stuffs need to be drained and stored over ice so they don't get water logged and possibly lose flavour or shape.

No idea who you are referring to re: name calling but ahem pots shouldn't call skillets black. And I wonder about your need to call me a girl with a capital "N". Bet if I called your life to date companion a constantly under dressed B girl as portrayed by you, you or perhaps she would be insulted; probably she would be as opposed to you but I digress.

Back to being blocked for you on ALL sites.
                          Last edited by NYCgrrl; 07-22-2016, 06:27 PM.
                          2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
                          Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Maybe this should have its own thread but I'm going to leave it here......12v cooler.

http://www.dometic.com/USA/New-Produ...tors-Freezers/
                            “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                            – E. B. White

Comment

Maybe this should have its own thread but I'm going to leave it here......12v cooler.

http://www.dometic.com/USA/New-Produ...tors-Freezers/
                              You are probably right about another thread; active refrigeration is a pretty big subject;
                              I have tried both solid state refrigeration (didn't really work all that well, especially in the desert, IMO) don't expect even a good one to cool more than 40 degrees below ambient temperatures; i.e. the coolest you should expect to get on a 90 degree day will be around 50 degrees. They seem to suck electricity continuously; which could be OK on a road trip, where the vehicle engine is running pretty much continuously but not desirable when camping for a weekend.
                              ...and compressor driven 12 volt refrigerators (worked pretty much as expected) although they do use more electricity than I expected. (Figure on around a 100 amp hour battery (a healthy 35 AH will run it; maybe over night, possibly for a day/24 hours) and 100 watts of unshaded solar panel or a small, quiet, genny. You can run the vehicle to charge the battery but its pretty much a waste unless you are going somewhere.
                              One advantage of compressor based refrigerators is they cycle on and off so even if it draws 4.5 amps while cooling, once cool it will only draw high current when it cycles on.

Enjoy!
                              Last edited by Happy Joe; 07-25-2016, 04:17 AM.
                              2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
                              For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
                              Ground tents work best for me, so far.
                              Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Joe View Post
                                I have tried both solid state refrigeration...
                                Thank you for confirming what has kept me away from trying electric refrigeration. Even with my solar setup, I kinda figured I couldn't keep up with the demands of such a setup without adding even more panels and more batteries. Definitely not an option here!

Comment

Working...
                                X