Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1st time tent camping --- equipment advice needed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st time tent camping --- equipment advice needed!

Up until now my only camping experience was in a motorhome in a state park and that has left me woefully unprepared for our first tent camping experience.

We'll be camping at a 3 day motorcycle rally at the end of October. These sites are semi-primitive with very nice bathroom facilities and food vendors so we won't have to worry about those two things on our first outing. Our first big decision is purchasing a tent. We'll have a large air mattress and all of my photography equipment so we were leaning towards a 6 person tent to have some extra space. My husband is 6'2" and I found a couple of instant cabin tents that looked like he would have room to stand up in them. I've never set up a tent in my life so I'm looking for one that will be easy for the 2 of us to set up and take down.

Aside from the tent, air mattress, and the solar charger for my camera batteries, I have NO idea what else we'll need. I'd like to stick to a fairly reasonable budget. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance from a total newbie!

Re: 1st time tent camping --- equipment advice needed!

So you're going to buy all your food from vendors? What will the overnight temperatures be?

Comment

A cooler is always a good purchase even if you're not cooking. Doesn't need to be too large but will allow ya OJ for the mornings, water for the day and a place to put leftovers. For a 3 day trip w/ no cooking prolly a 20-30 qt version will do you well.

How about a chair or two? Beats sitting at picnic tables.

As for the instant tents most I've seen are 6' and over when you get the versions for 6 people and over.

Have fun at the rally!
      2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
      Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Originally posted by howl View Post
        So you're going to buy all your food from vendors? What will the overnight temperatures be?
        We'll probably bring a small cooler with snacks, but actual meals will be bought from the vendors. The overnight temp will be around 45 - 50.

Comment

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
          A cooler is always a good purchase even if you're not cooking. Doesn't need to be too large but will allow ya OJ for the mornings, water for the day and a place to put leftovers. For a 3 day trip w/ no cooking prolly a 20-30 qt version will do you well.

How about a chair or two? Beats sitting at picnic tables.

As for the instant tents most I've seen are 6' and over when you get the versions for 6 people and over.

Have fun at the rally!
          We have a cooler that we use to take to the track, but we're going to upgrade to a better one that will keep the ice for more than just overnight. We're still shopping for the chairs. Most of the reviews on them look about the same so we'll probably just get a couple of the Colemans.

Are there any good accessory nets/racks for hanging in tents? I'd like to be able to keep some of my camera equipment off the floor.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Alsabrook View Post
            We have a cooler that we use to take to the track, but we're going to upgrade to a better one that will keep the ice for more than just overnight. We're still shopping for the chairs. Most of the reviews on them look about the same so we'll probably just get a couple of the Colemans.

Are there any good accessory nets/racks for hanging in tents? I'd like to be able to keep some of my camera equipment off the floor.

Thanks!
            Good idea on upgrading from the one day in the park/beach cooler to one w/ more insulation.
            I like the Coleman Extreme series. Gives a good bang for the buck. Read w/i the forum's threads and you'll see some excellent ways to extend the ice and coolness of your cooler.

What kind of weight does the camera equipment you want to store weigh?
            A series of bungie cords and string net bags can serve you well but not sure if they'll hold the weight of camera lenses and such; same goes for an accessory gear loft.

Perhaps keeping your gear in it's bag and placing it on something like this:

http://www.rei.com/item/765283/rei-trail-stool

You can also use it as a seat. Or store the camera bag in a lidded storage bin from WM/Lowes/Target's. Should you opt for the plastic storage bin...it can be used to pack your car easily by filling it with your "stuff" then serve as a nightstand/ and closed storage.
            Best I can think of right now.
            2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
            Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

A good cooler is a smart investment for an upgrade. For our group, a 54-quart cooler will support aq decent-sized group up to 6 (frozen meats and butter) with the additional room for keeping drinks cold. This is a good time, as there are sales out there, and for a good cooler a big-box like a Costco, Walmart, or Target will deliver EMS/REI quality for less dough - leaving something for your next upgrade!
              “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
              ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

A plastic ground cover between the tent and the ground that's completely tucked under the tent floor.

Lanterns for outside lighting. Small light for inside the tent.

A urinal, if your hubby doesn't feel like going for walks in the middle of the night. Flash or head lights if you do take strolls in the middle of the night.

Ear plugs, if you're with a group and aren't familiar with their sleeping concertos.

You might want to consider some type of closed cell foam pad or carpet padding to put between you and the air mattress and the mattress and ground the because the air mattress absorbs the cold from the air and ground drawing the heat from your body. If you have the room, a pillow is always a good idea.

A carpet remnant or foam padding is always nicer to step on when getting out of bed. Also a welcome mat just outside the tent to wipe your shoes when you take them off BEFORE you go into the tent.

Don't think you'd want to have your photo equipment hanging from the tent especially if it's as heavy as mine. As NYCgrrl mentioned, the cheap plastic storage tubs from target (sterilite i.e.) are waterproof and safer IMO...... What else?

Open and set up the tent before your excursion to get familiar with the procedure, and while your at it, it might be a good idea to seal the seams of the tent at that time. You can read up on that by doing a search or on youtube.

I'm sure there's other stuff but nothing comes to mind at the moment. Do a search for camping lists and there's a multitude you can choose from. Pick out what you think pertains to your needs. There's probably some specific to motorcycle camping.

Enjoy the experience, hopefully it's a first of many.

elliot

Oh, if you're going there by motorcycle forget half the stuff I mentioned.
                Last edited by michelliot; 09-19-2014, 11:01 AM.

Comment

If you aren't buying just from vendors and bringing your own food, I would suggest a cooler with a block of ice, just because it melts a lot slower than say ice cubes.
                  Visit www.gearspoke.com for all of your rental needs!

Comment

Alsabrook - Hi! Welcome to the forum! I saw that you had started an earlier thread on this same topic...but this one seems to have some legs so I will post a reply here (I am assuming that since you were new and still in the probation period that when you didn't see your first post, you tried again).

One of the important things that you did not include in this thread that was in the earlier thread was your budget amount of $500. An amount helps us make suggestions and helps define your options.

I do have some questions for you: I am assuming you are not riding motorcycles to the rally since you have posted about upgrading your cooler. But it would be good to know the vehicle you plan on taking as that helps define the amount of storage space you will have available for gear. So...what are you driving to the rally?

Since you are new to tent camping...is there anyone you know that camps that might loan you some gear? Anything you can borrow initially is $$$ that you do not have to spend right now. After you have found out that you love tent camping....then you can assess what you liked/didn't like about certain pieces of borrowed gear and take that into consideration when purchasing your own gear.

The above advice given by fellow members has been great! Continue to read through prior threads and gain some knowledge and information. Ask questions. Here is my shot and take on your request. Bear with me on the length of this post....

Tent: I personally do not care for the instant tents. As MacGyver replied in your other thread, if one of the hubs breaks at the rally, you may have a tough time repairing it in the field. The poles on a standard 6 man dome tent (with fiberglass poles or better yet, aluminum) are generally easier to make field repairs on with some duct tape should you experience breakage. Don't worry about being new and not knowing how to set-up a tent. The easiest way I know is to take your time and never force camping gear. With 2 people, most 6 man tents are fairly straightforward to set-up. As elliot posted: the critical factor in a good tent set-up is to actually set the tent up first in your backyard days prior to arriving at the campground. At home is when/where you can take your time, read the instructions, and lay everything out. You'll find out how it goes up and how to take it down, how to fold it up. Trust me...doing this beforehand speeds up the set-up at the campground and gives you more time to enjoy the rally. It also allows you to inspect the tent to make sure everything is present and in working order-before you arrive. I've been tent camping for a long time....and I still do this step with every new tent.

I would recommend a standard 6 man dome tent. Big enough to stand upright in...small enough footprint to fit almost any campsite. Although everyone's tent preferences are different, here are a few good features to consider: Solid fabrics with a thick waterproofing coating, a full length-close to the ground rainfly, enough ventilation panels, 2 doors for easy entrance/exit without disturbing your fellow camper, vestibules are nice in that you can store some gear outside the tent, but protected from the elements (think your shoes/boots-you don't really want to bring muddy shoes inside the tent. There is a great recent thread where many of the above tent features were discussed. It is titled "Total Newbie: Want to go out with 3 other friends. What tent should I buy?" It is still on page 1 in this section. Read that...although not everything will apply to your camping needs...much of the info contained will be helpful in your search/decision on a decent tent. The way I see it, based on some of the items below and a budget of $500, you could spend almost half of that amount on a tent. Not saying you need to spend that much....but the budget flexibility will allow you to make a better tent choice for a first time camper without compromising as many features.

Tarp or Footprint for the Tent - This is an investment in your tent as it helps protect the tent floor from punctures due to rocks, sticks, roots, etc and helps keep your tent clean. A heavy duty tarp, slightly smaller than the tent footprint, will suffice. If it sticks out from the tent, it will collect any rainwater and could channel it under your tent....so keep it slightly smaller and tucked in. Cheap at any big box store.

Sleeping Bags - I would imagine in October with temps 45-50 that these would come in handy. Buy bags that are rated 10-15 degrees below what you expect to encounter. Insulating materials can be either down or synthetic. Down is the king of warmth and lightweight, but are more expensive and lose insulating power when they get wet. Synthetic is warm and heavier, are generally less expensive and maintain some insulating power when wet (although I am not too sure that crawling into any wet sleeping bag would be pleasurable-lol). Rectangular or mummy style? To each their own on this one...rectangular are generally heavier, but give you room to move your legs and some models allow you to zip 2 bags together to allow some cuddle warmth. Mummy bags provide more warmth overall (less air space inside to warm), but can feel claustrophobic to someone who likes to toss and turn. Maybe $40-50 for each bag.

Blankets or Closed Cell Pad - since you are using an air mattress, it is important you protect yourself from the cold ground and cold air surrounding the air mattress. The air inside the mattress will become cold equalizing to the corresponding air/ground temp...your body is warm. All night, your body will give up heat to the mattress trying to equalize the temperature. You have to remember that the portion of your sleeping bag underneath you is being compressed by your body weight...which reduces the "fluff and dead air space" that provides the insulating qualities that keep you warm.
                    Put a blanket (or more-I prefer wool) or closed cell foam pad on top of your air mattress and then put your sleeping bag on top of the blanket or pad.

Rugs - a couple of throw rugs helps protect the inside tent floor from dirt/etc. And it adds some warmth when stepping on it with bare/socked feet. Not necessary-but nice.

Cooler - yes, this is a good investment and can be used at other times besides camping. Take care of it and it will last a long time. I still have a Coleman cooler I bought in 1991 and use it whenever I have a need for 2 coolers on a trip (summer trips or longer trips - one cooler for food, one for drinks). I too am a fan of the Coleman Extreme series of coolers. Great bang for your buck. I love mine and this is the take on "every trip" cooler. Find a size that you think will work and start watching for sales. Maybe $50 or so on an Extreme depending on size.

Bins - I wouldn't recommend using your tent's gear loft to store camera gear. Not just because of the weight, but also due to possible condensation. Also, although unlikely, if the tent comes crashing down in the middle of a rain storm, camera gear stored in a bin will survive dry as can be. Good protection for your camera gear. Cheap at most big box stores, $5-10 each depending on size. Find one or two in a size that fits your storage space.

Chairs - another good investment that can be used at other times besides camping. Generally not very expensive. $10-20 each.

Lighting - another good purchase, esp for October when the sun sets earlier. Keeps from tripping over stuff and getting hurt. Bring either flashlights from home, or buy a LED battery powered lantern or LED battery powered headlamps. To each their own on which you prefer...I have both types and use them regularly. Headlamps are also handy around the house for doing handsfree maintenance chores. Figure $20 for either a lantern or a headlamp.

Campfire supplies - don't forget to take some items to enjoy a campfire. In October, it will feel great. To get your campfire started easily, I use easy-light charcoal briquets (I use mine first to cook with...then add wood to the dying coals to start the wood for our evening campfire). Something to light the fire...matches/lighter. You can generally buy wood at the campground or locally close by. Don't miss out on having a campfire! It is one of those neat things about going camping...and in October...it will feel great!

The BEST thing you can bring? A great attitude!!! Have fun, take notes of what you liked/didn't like, what worked/what can be improved on, what you used/what you didn't. Each trip is a learning experience and a chance to make some changes before the next trip. Take photos of your rally campsite set-up and share them here. Good luck!!!!!
                    2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
                    Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
                    Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
                    Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Thanks for all of the super helpful replies! I appreciate every single one of them.

We're actually part of the rally staff (event photographer and PR) so we're not bringing a bike this year. We'll more than likely be taking our crew cab 2500 Silverado so we'll have PLENTY of space to bring supplies. Transport room is not an issue this time!

My husband is very good friends with the property owner and event host so we were able to drive over there this afternoon. We reserved the spot for our tent (which was the most exciting part for me!) and it helped give us some ideas before we went on our first shopping trip this afternoon. The owners had a cabin tent on-site that I was able to take a close look at. In our situation (having a very tall husband and a ton of camera/video gear) we decided to go that route to start with. I really wanted one of the 6 person dome tents from REI, but it was more money that we wanted to invest in the beginning.

Our supply list now includes:

Tent - We ended up going with an 8 person, 2 room cabin tent to start with. Hopefully we'll be able to upgrade to a nice dome in the Spring.
                      Air mattress and rechargable pump (along with sheets/blankets/pillows)
                      Chairs
                      Heavy duty tarp for tent footprint
                      Large area rug that covers 75% of interior tent space
                      Solar lights for outside the tent
                      LED lights for inside the tent
                      2 large plastic bins for storing camera equipment and anything else we don't want wet/dirty

We still need to buy a bigger cooler (we looked at a Coleman Xtreme and will probably go that route. Our local Walmart has them on sale right now), mattress pad for the air mattress, and a table for inside the gear room in the tent. We also still have about $200 left in our budget. Am I missing anything?

We'll actually get an opportunity to camp overnight on-site with some friends in 2 weeks. I'm really looking forward to it since it will give me a chance to see what all I'm missing before the rally!

Comment

Here is my list with essential camping equipment:

- sleeping pad
                        - to protect the tent from the sun and rain i bring a tarp
                        - sleeping bag
                        - a large but light backpack
                        - lanterns
                        - flashlights
                        - toiletries
                        - first aid kit
                        - extra batteries
                        - water purifiers
                        - portable stove

and the tent of course

Comment

Working...