New to me old trailer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to me old trailer

I am a teardrop trailer camper for the last 7 years. It suits me well as I camp alone or with my dog. My wife no longer wants to camp. But that does not stop me!

I just bought a 1951 Silver Streak Clipper. It needs some restoration but is very complete. My hope is to get it back out on the road for next camping season.

Here are a few shots of it.

I know most of the campers on this board seem to be tent campers but I thought some would find the old trailer interesting. If you asked me if I would ever own a 19'trailer I would say NO. But when I saw this thing I couldn't help but want it.

Thanks for looking.

Re: New to me old trailer

I am one of those "tent" campers (lol)...but that is awesome. How far are you planning on taking the fixing/restoring?
    2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
    Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
    Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
    Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

I think you will find there are a number of 'trailer people' here....and even us tent people can appreciate something like this. You will have to keep us updated on your progress.
      “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
      – E. B. White

Comment

My intention with my post was not to favor one way of camping over any other. My experience has been that people find what suits them best and that is the way they camp. I would never have seen myself in a large trailer, but then I found this one by accident, and wanted it. So if I offended anyone I apologize, that was not my intention.

As for the trailer. It needs the front and rear windows replaced. All new seals on the doors and windows. The light over the license plate is the only brake light, so that needs attention. New flooring ,cushions, beds and an interior paint job. The stove works but not the fridge. I will keep it as period correct as I can. It pulls fine, I drove it home (3Hours) after sitting in the woods for the last 17 years. Plus many other little details. But it will be a fun project and I am looking forward to bringing it back to life.

I will post along the way so you can see what I have done.

Comment

Oh man, please don't apologize. If we start worrying about hurting each others feelings this place will wither and die. We are all grown ups here (at least I hope so with emoticons like this :boobies: ) and I for one am hard to offend....REALLY hard to offend

any chance I get to use the alternate emoticons I will take
          “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
          – E. B. White

Comment

That's a great little vintage TT! I am interested in seeing how your rework goes.
            Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Whadda beauty! I'm seeing that the original appliances are still in the kitchen area- I still prefer the latch handles over the current version seen on fridges. And that Formica pattern reminds me of my Nana's kitchen table except I think her's was grey and white. Be looking forward to your progress bringing this unit back to it's former glory.
              2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
              Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Thanks for the interest. The trailer is all original. That was a big advantage to me. Not having to find parts and figure out what it looked like from the factory. There are very few of them left so I will try and get the original fridge to work. I've only had it about 10 days so I am still figuring things out.

Comment

I'd love to have something like this. While I'm a tent camper at heart, my wife will only go if we get a camping trailer. She has mentioned the old Shasta "canned ham" design several times.
                  Mike Hampton
                  If it's "it is," it's "it's" otherwise it's "its."

Comment

Wow. That is so awesome. Of course, you are going to have to get a classic 1950s station wagon or pick up truck to pull the thing!

Comment

That is a wonderful trailer. I both tent camp and use a small travel trailer. Both have their advantages.
                      - Laura
                      Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Funny you should mention getting a 50's tow vehicle. My friends have been sending me links to the ones they think I should buy. But until I finish this trailer I won't know how much money I will have left. But I still keep dreaming!

Actad, I am a teardrop camper now. So this big thing will be an adjustment for me. Just the few over head storage bins in this old trailer exceed all the storage in my teardrop. But like you said , they both have their advantages. Being able to stand up and put my pants on is a big advantage!

Comment

Working...
                        X