Phoenix is Flooding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phoenix is Flooding

Most of Arizona is under a Flood Advisory and much of Phoenix is under a Flash Flood Warning. Sky Harbor Airport has recorded more than twice the record rainfall and it is still raining. It is officially the wettest day on record and its only 7:30am and still raining.

In one part of Interstate 10 there are cars buried to the windows in water:
    http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/...abrk/15272279/
    “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
    – E. B. White

Re: Phoenix is Flooding

This is the I-10.

Gonna be a good day.
    “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
    – E. B. White

Comment

Did y'all put I-10 in a river bed? That's a lot of rain!

Comment

Is this some kind of record? Never heard of this desert town flooding before.
        Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Originally posted by coloradowalt View Post
          Did y'all put I-10 in a river bed? That's a lot of rain!
          Originally posted by Bigdog57 View Post
          Is this some kind of record? Never heard of this desert town flooding before.
          It normally doesn't flood like that. Phoenix is called the Valley of the Sun for a reason....it is basically a giant basin and when it rains (monsoon rains come once a year and can dump large amounts of water in a short period of time) it would flood if not for the excellent design of the city. The freeways themselves are usually dug into the ground and have a series of pumps designed to pump the water up to ground level. Apparently some of the drains were covered by debris and that prevented the water from being pumped out.

I kid you not when I say that all that water was there until a guy with a shovel came and found, then cleared the drains.

This is one of the water retention areas in my neighborhood (there are at least 5) that serves double duty as a playground:
          – E. B. White

Comment

Wow James, that is crazy! I have family in Tucson and I know that monsoon season can be a challenge out there.
            Married to Longpants, Mom to Littlepants (9) and Tinypants (5). Love Camping in New England!

Comment

Working...
            X