Does This Count as Camping? AMC Hut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does This Count as Camping? AMC Hut

I'm staying in one of the Appalachian Mountain Club high summit huts in the White Mountains tomorrow night. Doing the Franconia Ridge loop hike. Part of the hike tomorrow, spend the night at the Greenleaf Hut. Then continue up to the summit of Mt. Lafayette and across 1.7 miles of ridge above tree line on Franconia Ridge Trail (Appalachian Trail) over Mt. Lincoln to Little Haystack Mountain. Then down Falling Waters Trail to the car.

I've hiked the 3 miles (2400 feet of elevation gain) to the hut. I've hike the 3.2 miles and 3100 feet of elevation gain to the top of Falling Waters Trail, but never linked them together.

The hut has running water and serves dinner and breakfast, but no hot water, no electricity. Bunks for 30 people although I don't think it will be full on a Monday night.

Here's a slideshow of my hike just to the hut last summer, with the ridgeline I'll be crossing on day two in most of the mountain vista shots:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nd1_Vs4mn1w

Re: Does This Count as Camping? AMC Hut

No, I wouldn't call that camping - but that's one sweet trip!

Comment

Yeah, I've been working towards this hike for a couple of years. I just can't do the whole 9 miles as a day hike. I'm too slow and there's 4200 feet of total elevation gain and loss on the loop, so it's a pretty strenuous hike. Splitting it up over two days with nearly half the climb on the first day solves the problem. Forecast is for two days of sun and blue sky and full moon.

Comment

A 'hut'! More like a ranch bunkhouse! Gonna be a nice hike. :-)
        Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Except all of the supplies have to be carried in by backpack or hoisted by helicopter!

Comment

Okay, so maybe it doesn't count as camping, although my backpack felt like it with a sleeping bag, etc.

This is THE hike I've had on my bucket list from day 1 of perusing White Mountain hiking guides -- a loop hike of Franconia Ridge. Everyone who drives up I-93 through Franconia Notch stares at this hike -- a knife edge ridge line, connecting two of NH's highest peaks, all above tree line, with steep drop offs on either side spectacular views if the Pemi Wilderness to the east and Franconia Notch/Cannon Mnt to the west. The problem (and I knew it) was the distance and elevation was too much hike for me. I've done parts of it several times, but I knew spending the night at the AMC Greenleaf hut would make it do-able. I did one part of the testing hike last summer when I hiked up and back to the hut. Then, after working on distance hikes this summer, I did the second part of the testing hikes with my jaunt up Falling Waters Trail and back. Knowing I could do both of those, I figured that linking them together would be in my wheel house. So, when I saw a spectacular weather forecast AND a vacancy at the hut, I jumped. It definitely met my expectations. Wow.

The hike is officially 8.9 miles by the book, but measuring on the slope, my GPS clocked 11 miles. 4200 feet of elevation gain. I did the loop clockwise, hiking 3.5 miles (2400 feet) up Old Bridle Path to the AMC hut the first afternoon. Then, the second day, 7.5 miles up to the summit of Lafayette, across Franconia Ridge Trail to Lincoln and Little Haystack and back down Falling Waters Trail to the parking lot.

Part 1 of the video covers the hike up Old Bridle path and overnight at the hut including moonrise, sunrise, and leaving for the second day of hiking. It's unbelievable to me that horses once carried people up this trail. When the hut was built in 1930, the materials were ferried up the trail ("Agony Ridge") by a team of 40 burros imported from Roswell, NM. The video features a bit of the flavor of the rocky trail, the views from a series of overlooks, my bunk at hut the French Canadian group, plus moonrise and sunrise (with "undercast" fog in the valley).

Now, the hut workers carry the day to day supplies on their backs, supplemented by helicopter drops of propane tanks. They have well water, composting toilets, and refrigeration powered by solar panels. No heat. Bunks for 48. Family style dinner and breakfast. The hut is perched at 4200 feet, a spectacular setting with Mt. Lafayette looming directly above. All, in all, a very fun and interesting lodging experience. Old Bridle Path is the shortest, "easiest" way to get to the hut, which is visited throughout the day by people doing the loop as a day hike as well as overnight guests. This time of year, the 2014 Appalachian Trail through hikers have reached NH after starting in Georgia. I saw them both at the hut and all day along Franconia Ridge (which is one of the classic postcard stretches of the AT). They really lucked out on the weather, as did I. It was sunny hiking up. Just a few clouds in the evening, but crystal clear by sunrise and then not a cloud in the sky for the rest of day. Warmed up fast in the sunshine. Breezy, but not bad as these summits go.

Video in two parts. Part 1 is the hike to the hut and the overnight including moonrise and sunrise. Part two is climbing up from the hut to the summit of Lafayette, across the ridge, and back down.

Comment

That's some sweet cold water shower camping!:surprised::glasses:
              2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
              Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Yeah. Cold wash cloth "shower". What made it a little better was that it was my first hike of the season without bug spray as things have started cooling off in the NH mountains.

Comment

Wow! The scenery speaks for itself. Fabulous write-up and videos. Heck, I even like the tunes you selected for the videos. lol.

Congrats on scooping one of your wishes out of that "bucket"! Has to be a great feeling.

No bug spray, but assuming some sunscreen? (I'd be crispy at that altitude/clear day). Even though you didn't have to carry all the typical overnight gear, how heavy was your pack on this trip? Was the total hike easier, harder, or about what you expected?
                  2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
                  Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
                  Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
                  Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

"No electricity", but what are the solar panels for?
                    Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Originally posted by a65hoosier View Post
                      No bug spray, but assuming some sunscreen? (I'd be crispy at that altitude/clear day). Even though you didn't have to carry all the typical overnight gear, how heavy was your pack on this trip? Was the total hike easier, harder, or about what you expected?
                      No sunscreen. I have it in my pack, but haven't used it all summer. It's really hard to get sunburned (or make vitamin D) at NH latitudes. From a summer of hiking without sunscreen, you can barely see a tan line under my watch.

Pack weighed about 26 pounds fully loaded including 2 liters of water. Not brutal, but enough to slow me down a bit from my usual slow pace. Not bad, though. I always take extra clothing, gear, etc. I figure that if I ever fall and break an ankle or something, I should probably be equipped to survive a few hours.

Overall, the hike was pretty much what I expected physically. I'm really slow on that kind of sustained steep terrain. I was a little surprised that the traverse across the ridge took longer than I expected. Although the net elevation change is only 500 feet (so on paper, it's flat), it's really a succession of ups and downs over little bumps, most of which are steep on both the ups and downs -- so slow. Not to mention a lot of stops for enjoying the scenery, chatting with other hikers, etc.

Addendum: I should clarify that I was only not surprised by the challenge because I've been hiking in the White Mountains for a couple of years and have come to expect brutally rough, rocky trails. I was completely gobsmacked starting out. Definitely A+ physical workouts. That's the reason I enjoy it. A way to make exercise a lot of fun with the fresh air and the scenery and the all-around challenge for an ol' geezer. Plus, I had done the steep bits up to the hut on one side and up to the ridge on the other as long day hikes, up and back. I did not want to cross the ridge only to find out that I couldn't handle the steepness of the trail down! I'm cautious like that. Comes with old age.
                      Last edited by hwc1954; 09-11-2014, 07:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigdog57 View Post
                        "No electricity", but what are the solar panels for?
                        They use the solar electricity primarily for food refrigeration. They serve breakfast and dinner for a capacity of 48 people every day. Propane tanks for the commercial stove are dropped by helicopter, but they keep a freezer and fridge running with the solar. They have lighting in the main room between sundown and 9:30 pm. From the sound of it, there are also electric fans somewhere in the vent system for the composting toilets.

Comment

Originally posted by hwc1954 View Post
                          Although the net elevation change is only 500 feet (so on paper, it's flat), it's really a succession of ups and downs over little bumps, most of which are steep on both the ups and downs -- so slow. Not to mention a lot of stops for enjoying the scenery, chatting with other hikers, etc.

Addendum: I should clarify that I was only not surprised by the challenge because I've been hiking in the White Mountains for a couple of years and have come to expect brutally rough, rocky trails. I was completely gobsmacked starting out. Definitely A+ physical workouts. That's the reason I enjoy it. A way to make exercise a lot of fun with the fresh air and the scenery and the all-around challenge for an ol' geezer. Plus, I had done the steep bits up to the hut on one side and up to the ridge on the other as long day hikes, up and back. I did not want to cross the ridge only to find out that I couldn't handle the steepness of the trail down! I'm cautious like that. Comes with old age.
                          I find that those small up and downs over the "bumps" can really take it out of you. Nothing wrong with caution...it's how one manages to reach "old age" with everything still in working order.

I also think hiking is a great way to get in that physical exercise. Beats a treadmill any day. And hey....don't diminish your workout. I'm certain there is a limited number of folks that could accomplish what you did and be able to get out of bed the next morning. I'm not that all that far behind you "age-wise" (I'm guessing 11 years or so), but I bet the "ol' geezer" might leave this "young whipper-snapper" wheezing to keep up. Congrats again and thanks for taking us along on your journeys.
                          2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
                          Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
                          Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
                          Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

I definitely appreciate my workouts! I cherish every sweating, panting step I take. 6.5 years ago, I quit smoking after 38 years. 4.5 years ago, I weighed over 250 pounds and got winded walking to the mailbox. The day I started on a fat-loss/fitness project in 2010, I wrote down three goals:

1) Lose 12 pounds to get started.

2) Enjoy exercising at least three times a week.

3) Walk a mile without getting winded.

I lost 90+ pounds and have kept it off (159 this morning). And being able to do these hikes on this kind of terrain is nothing shore of a miracle for me. I truly appreciate it. I literally would not have been able to pick up the backpack I carried on this hike back then. I started exercising with a pair of 5 lb dumbbells and couldn't do a pushup.

Comment

Count as camping??? HWC'54, your hiking is CLASS V mountaineering! And so many of the AT hikers hike-n-cabin (or leanb-to) anyway, so you're in good company. Fellow travelers are unique on the AT, my boob*e sightings can attest to that as a former east-coaster. I haven't hike that section since I was twelve, good reason to go back! A pack of 26 Pounds is a nice, light haul, half of what I've lugged on the AT and other sojourns, LOL. I'd encourage you to use your sunscreen anyway, when you forget half the time, you're that far ahead (I've had a dermatologist for 15 years and UV issues are cumulative, more sunscreen, less exposure = less skin cancer). Congrats - you're only 5.5 years away from having every cell replaced in your body, and you'll have the same statistical rate of lung cancer as someone who's never smoked.
                              Last edited by tplife; 09-12-2014, 08:39 PM.
                              “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                              ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Working...
                              X