Kodiak Tent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kodiak Tent

Figured I'd make its own thread instead of hijacking. For the new people reading this.. I bought a Kodiak tent 10x10 about two years ago. It leaks. This is my thread to follow up with company response. Here is a copy and paste from the other thread to bring everyone up to speed.

"I sent Kodiak another email that included the post I made here and pictures of the tent. We were camping in it this weekend and it was raining. What I thought was one leak is actually multiple leaks once I started paying attention. (it could help this is my first sober camping trip.. usually its after a few beers and its dark when we hit the hay)

It's leaking at a few ceiling seams, the entire floor seam at a door, two walls are leaking (like water is just dripping through the wall), and somewhere that I haven't figured out in the ceiling. I have pictures to show but not sure how to attach here.

The weirdest thing is the seams look dry but the water is just dripping in. I am waiting on Kodiak to respond to the email I sent them, I will update once I find out. Our goal is once it dries out outside is to set the tent back up and go over the entire thing with Kiwi brand waterproofing. Probably need a few cans worth but hopefully this stops the walls from leaking.

This all sounds bad, but I'm staying optimistic that the company will come through and we did say relatively dry other than the ceiling leaks, it was just the floors that we had to lay down towels and dirty clothes to catch the water with"

I finally figured out pictures so I have attached a few.
    Attached Files

Re: Kodiak Tent

Sounds like typical hit or miss Chinese quality. I would look at products used to restore boat canopies and wall tents.

Comment

I don't know much about cotton canvas tents, but wasn't the need to apply waterproofing treatments the reason that polyurethane coated waterproof polyester/nylon replaced cotton as the waterproof material of choice in rainwear and tents?

The downside is that the PU coated synthetic fabrics have a finite lifespan. UV exposure eventually kills them and the PU coatings have, so far, failed after ten years or so, especially with hot, humid storage conditions. But, until they fail, these coated synthetics are reliably waterproof.

Cotton was the original waterproof/breathable fabric -- a combination that has been an elusive goal for both natural and synthetic fabrics.

Comment

Kodiak says you may need to retreat your tent after time, but not after 2 years. Will be interesting to hear what they say.

OP how is your bag for your poles and stakes holding up?
        Nights camped in 2019: 24
        Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Are those actual pin holes in pic #2? If so, it looks clear that you have a mfg defect in the material, which should be covered under their lifetime warranty. Are you dealing directly with Kodiak? Or, the retailer whom you purchased the tent from?

Comment

Originally posted by astrowolf67 View Post
            Are those actual pin holes in pic #2? If so, it looks clear that you have a mfg defect in the material, which should be covered under their lifetime warranty. Are you dealing directly with Kodiak? Or, the retailer whom you purchased the tent from?

I thought they were just drops of water...but now that you mention it....
            “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
            – E. B. White

Comment

Seams on any tent are potential hotspots for leaks. Maybe I'm misinterpreting the pictures, but that just looks like a job for some seam sealer.

Comment

G'day there.
                First post. We have a Kodiak clone available here in Oz,branded as a Dune Eyre.
                Ours has withstood some horrendous weather and not leaked a drop.
                They are 340 grams per sq. meter rip-stop canvas,as opposed to the lighter weight duck canvas,used in the Kodiak.
                Attached Files

Comment

WOW!! and Kodiak tents ain't cheap! I considered a Kodiak this year but bought and REI Kingdom 8 instead. Hopefully Kodiak will help you out as all I've read is they have an excellent reputation

Comment

Hi everybody!

In reference to pinholes, no there are no pinholes in the tent, its water coming through the fabric. I am dealing directly with Kodiak on the issue.

I spoke to a Kodiak rep yesterday about this who was very nice. They said there are two options here on ways to deal with this. First off get more seam sealer of the Kiwi brand and they want me to really really saturate the seams. They are reimbursing me for the cans that I have to buy to do this. They instructed me to do the walls as well where the water is coming through. The guy said that if you apply it like you normally would on say a nylon tent (like a hairspray type spray) it won't get into the thick canvas. That makes sense.

IF this doesn't solve the issue then we are looking at sending the tent back to Kodiak for further treatment/repair/replacement.

So far, Kodiak has stepped up to the plate and is on top of this. I am going to order seam sealer on Friday and postpone the camping trip we had set up for next weekend to treat my tent. Crossing my fingers this solves the issue as I REALLY like this tent. It has more pros than the leaks its having. I'm remaining optimistic and looking at all the pros of this tent versus the 1 negative of the leaking.

We went through a HORRID rainstorm on Saturday and depsite having to clean up a stream on the floor every now and again and the drips in the ceiling seams; the tent held up great and by moving cots around, we stayed for the most part dry.

So far +1 for Kodiak.

Comment

Originally posted by 05Kingquad700 View Post
                      Kodiak says you may need to retreat your tent after time, but not after 2 years. Will be interesting to hear what they say.

OP how is your bag for your poles and stakes holding up?
                      Perfectly. Everything looks brand new. We are slightly methodic about this tent though so I'm not sure if that is part of it. :/ The tent actually when stored is stored in our bedroom under our bed along with the tent poles, stake bag, and sleeping bags. I'm too afraid mice will chew it up if I store it in the shed with the other camping gear. (they have eaten a sleeping bag before we had stored out there) When camping since we use cots, all the bags for the tent and cots go under our cots for storage so they aren't getting trampled by our dogs or kid or us.

Comment

I had an issue with my tent, and Kodiak stepped up. Matter of fact, just about a year ago. They seem to be good people who are located in Utah. Nice to be able to talk to someone in English..LOL
                        Nights camped in 2019: 24
                        Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Originally posted by dukesangel View Post
                          So far, Kodiak has stepped up to the plate and is on top of this.
                          I'm not surprised. No company is perfect but it is rare that you hear anything bad about Kodiak.
                          “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                          – E. B. White

Comment

Just an update. Ordered the cans of waterproofing last week and last nigth set up the tent and treated it. Took 3 cans to go over all the seams and the two wall panel areas that were leaking. I'm really hoping this does the trick. I'm going to spray it down tomm night and see if the areas still leak. Crossing my fingers its a no. I did notice some stray strings on the side where the floor seams are leaking. This could be nothing, such as just random spots in manufacturing where the thread was tied off, or could be something more like the floor seams unravelling. I'm going to go with the thread being tied off. I like staying positive :D

Anywho, we have two camping trips coming up so I got to get my game face on for my tent to not fail me now!

Comment

Good luck
                              – E. B. White

Comment

Working...
                              X