Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Camping in the White Mountains (New Hampshire)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camping in the White Mountains (New Hampshire)

Enjoyed four days of spectacular summer weather in the White Mountains this week. Did three nights of car camping at my favorite private campground just west of Lincoln, NH. Standard glamping setup:

Marmot Halo 4
    Kelty Noah's tarp
    30 inch wide Cabelas cot
    30 inch wide Thermarest Dream mattress pad
    Weber Charcoal grill
    Camp Chef propane stove

Ate like a king. Breakfasts were eggs and country fried ham. Dinners were, grilled salmon steak, grilled 16 ounce rib eye, and grilled thick cut pork chop. With a wee nip of scotch!

And, I made my gourmet coffee -- I grind beans for one 16 ounce mug and fold it up int o a melita filter packet. Then, I boil the water and do a Melita drip using one packet straight into a 16 ounce thermos bottle. Half n' half from the cooler!

Here's a short YouTube with some photos of camp. I had a brookside site in the "tent loop" area of the campground -- just tent campers. The only downside of the brookside sites is that I have to wear ear plugs or the constant sound of the burbling water makes me have to get up every 30 minutes to go pee!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpmufNIdnUE

I did long day hikes in the mountains two days -- I've learned not to try to hike on camp set up or tear down days, so I'm not pressed for time. The first day was a 9 mile hike that had a little bit of everything: NH's smoothest trails, beaver ponds, a nice waterfall, a spectacular AMC hut that is perfect for a lazy summer afternoon, and a stiff climb up a steep trail one of the classic views in the White Mountains.

Here's the YouTube from the hike with the second day to follow when I get around to it! Switch to the high def/full screen version for best viewing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9n3v4cPKSI

Enjoy.

Re: Camping in the White Mountains (New Hampshire)

Awesome! My brother used to live in NH, so I've been there a few times. Beautiful country! Wouldn't mind getting back there some day.

Comment

Great stuff hwc1954. I can see why that is your favorite campground. The tent sites by the brook are nice!
      2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
      Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
      Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
      Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

I have a question. In the first video there is something that looks like a hose running by the creek. What is that?
        “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
        – E. B. White

Comment

Water. The campground has a water spigot on a wood post at each campsite. These are linked with a very large network of that black hose from one site to the next to the next with t-branches to each spigot. It's all clamped together so at the end of each season, they can go around, disconnect all the hose, and drain the water before it freezes.

This campground also has awesome hot showers. 10 minutes for two quarters. After 9 hours of hiking, I pretty much have to have a shower to wash the sweat and bug spray off to even begin to feel human.

Comment

That looks wonderful. So peaceful! The state park on the lake that I usually go to is not that peaceful, at all. I'm usually the only tent camper there. All sorts of people riding around on golf carts. I really don't see the thrill of riding around aimlessly on a golf cart.

Comment

The sites are pretty close together at this place, but it's no big deal. It's down in a steep valley and it is SO dark at night you couldn't see your neighbors if you tried. The other areas of the campground have a lot of popups and small campers. A little more hustle and bustle, but still fine. Those areas have electricity and tend to a mix of campers and large family tents. But, the tent-only loop this week was great.

This is sort of halfway in between the typical KOA private campground (mostly RVs) and the state park campgrounds that are mostly tents, but younger and more of a party scene.

This place is dead quiet after 8 pm or so.

Comment

Working...
              X