Reviews needed for new designed camping/tent stake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reviews needed for new designed camping/tent stake

Hi fellow campers. I have a newly designed camping/tent stake on quirk.com that I need feedback on.

This is the last, most versatile stake you will ever own and will soon be know as "The Stake of Choice". It's more than a tent stake. For more details, pictures, and to cast a vote visit http://bit.ly/1qz6SCu. Thank you for your time.

Re: Reviews needed for new designed camping/tent stake

As much as I like gadgets, I don't see a stake like that as something I'd carry. Make 'em beefy enough to last, they'd wind up too bulky. They're also mechanical, something else that, if they break, become useless. I can't imagine that such a device would be cheap either. When even the most expensive titanium stakes can be had for a few bucks each, I don't see too many people looking for a more complicated replacement. Me? When I need something heavy duty for a large tarp, I head to Home Depot and buy 12 inch spikes for under a buck a piece.

Comment

You mentioned it was based on dry wall anchor technology. You realize that the way these anchors expand prevents them coming back through the hole in the drywall, right. The dry wall is only, at most, 5/8" thick. The ground is all the way the length of the anchor. It would be interesting to try an anchor like this to see if it work, cause in theory it sounds good. I just wonder how hard it would be to separate the ground for the anchor to work.
      Got any youtube vid's?
      Nights camped in 2019: 24
      Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Did you guys check out the link. He is thinking $3.50-4 each. And they would be easy to pull out because putting the screw in would make the stake hole a little bigger and once you pulled the screw out the steak would 'collapse' and be easily pulled out.

My biggest problem is how would you get it into hard ground? There doesn't seem to be any way to hammer it into the ground.
        “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
        – E. B. White

Comment

I didn't see the price, but I did see how it worked. I mean, if it would stick once you expanded it, it would be cool. But how hard would it be to make it expand underground? And how would your turn the screw to expand it?
          Nights camped in 2019: 24
          Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

The price was mentioned on the community feedback tab. I would think that the best way would to be to stick a regular stake through the hole on the top and use it to turn the screw
            “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
            – E. B. White

Comment

At a $3.50-4.00 price point, I can't see them being made of strong enough material to deal with anything tougher than soft soil. Don't get me wrong - I like the concept, but I'm picturing either extruded aluminum or hardened steel, maybe even stainless... and none of that is coming in at $4.

Comment

Looks like a good design. Would like to try it out and see how well it actually works. Usually I don't have too much of a problem with stakes, though.

Comment

Thanks for all the feed back, good or bad, it really helps and I appreciate it.

I don't have a prototype or video, just the idea in my head. The eyelet bolt could be removed
                  so the stake could be hammered or pressed in with your foot, then the bolt is screwed in as tight as you can get it.
                  To remove the stake unscrew the eye bolt and pull it out.

I thought it would mostly be used in soft sand and higher than normal wind like the beach, sandbar, or open field.
                  MacGyver brings up some great points and I don't know how to make it strong enough while getting the needed price point.

Again thanks for the feed back!

Comment

Working...
                  X