Does anyone lube their zippers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone lube their zippers?

Yes....that is my question. Does anyone lube the zippers...on their tents! I was perusing the world wide web last night and came across several products that are specifically designed to "lubricate" zippers like this one (there are several different brands out there):

I have always taken a bit of care with my tent zippers...mainly by wiping down and cleaning the door zippers lightly with some soapy water and a sponge, especially if we've been camping in a dusty/dirty area.

But I am wondering if these product would help extend the life of the zipper. Has anyone ever tried one of these lube products? Do they work? Does this stuff do more harm than good by "attracting" dirt/dust and holding on to it? Thoughts?
    2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
    Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
    Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
    Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Re: Does anyone lube their zippers?

This is a good question and thanks for posting zipper lube product info.

It is widely known that sand destroys tents. The first to go is zippers. Just this week, I had the big zipper on my mosquito tent fail due to sand wearing out the teeth. It is a sad loss and the tent is useless now way before its time due to the zipper failing.

What I would like to know is WHAT are the more commong AND EFFECTIVE zipper lubricants? Of course, we have heard of soap and wax, but these do not seem ideal because sand actually adheres to these materials.

What kind of lubricants are good and possibly more available than ordering something special online?

Comment

never used it
      but heard mineral oil is good for lubing plastics
      wrong lube could degradge the plastic

Comment

I've never even thought of lubing a plastic zipper. It might help, I don't know. But, it almost looks like the plastic used is so slick that it is self-lubing.
        But, on my old Eureka Drawtite, with metal zippers, every now and then I run a candle up and down. I've been using that tent since 1972, with no problems, so it must work.

Comment

McNett makes really good tent care products across the board. If I wanted a zipper lube, I'd give theirs a shot. Fortunately, sand isn't a big issue in New England (like it is out west or when beach camping). I don't do anything to my zippers and doubt I will ever need to.

Comment

Silicone spray might be an option. It doesn't attract dirt and is waterproof. Downsides would be that since its a spray it might be hard to aim and of course it stinks.....bad.
            “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
            – E. B. White

Comment

There are various 'dry lube' products available in the gun cleaning, bicycle and motorcycle areas that could work well. They flash off the carrier and leave a dry lubricant that doesn't gather dirt and gunk. For metal zippers something with graphite in it could be good.
              Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Originally posted by James. View Post
                Silicone spray might be an option. It doesn't attract dirt and is waterproof. Downsides would be that since its a spray it might be hard to aim and of course it stinks.....bad.
                Maybe shoot it into a cloth and wipe on the zipper teeth? What about CampDry? Don't know how much silicone those types of spray contain :confused:. Do you do anything beyond the normal care (ie. keeping clean) in your AZ camping conditions?

tp - you camp in sandy/dusty areas also (witness the sandstorm vid). Anything beyond normal care?
                Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
                Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
                Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bigdog57 View Post
                  There are various 'dry lube' products available in the gun cleaning, bicycle and motorcycle areas that could work well. They flash off the carrier and leave a dry lubricant that doesn't gather dirt and gunk. For metal zippers something with graphite in it could be good.
                  Those are probably similar to what I saw for the camper/outdoor enthusiast. I don't do anything beyond the normal care now (cleaning when needed, pitching to avoid stress, and a "gentle use" campsite rule) and haven't had any real problems. Even so, the promise of UV protection, add'l waterproofing, dirt repellancy, smoother use, and extended life did appeal to me. On the flip side, I don't want to goober them up or make a mess of things.

sigpic

Comment

On metal zippers I have use simple bar soap. Works well and does not stain anything. My Jeep Wrangler has zip out windows and I use soap on them.

Comment

Originally posted by a65hoosier View Post
                      Maybe shoot it into a cloth and wipe on the zipper teeth? What about CampDry? Don't know how much silicone those types of spray contain :confused:. Do you do anything beyond the normal care (ie. keeping clean) in your AZ camping conditions?

tp - you camp in sandy/dusty areas also (witness the sandstorm vid). Anything beyond normal care?
                      I don't do anything other than being careful with them. That includes making sure they are not pulled tight as a guitar string when pitching the tent.
                      “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                      – E. B. White

Comment

I'm not sure silicone would be recommended for zipper lube. Our pop up camper manual, recommends silicone lube on the lifter posts, but, highly cautions not getting any at all on the canvas tenting as it will ruin the water proofing.

Any type of liquid based lube, would attract dirt, and, could attack the plastics on plastic zippers, not to mention, the tent fabric could absorb the lube, and create leaks.

A dry graphite would work well, but, in my experience with it, would stain any fabric that it manages to come in contact with. I've had it get on my hands, and leave hard to clean stains.

Wax, or paraffin, possibly a good bow string wax even, would probably be the best solution other than just keeping them clean.

I think the key to any type of zipper lube, would be to use it very sparingly.

David

Comment

I've always used an old candle on metal zippers. Never had an issue.

Comment

A couple of tent manufacturers at least have mentioned washing zippers in manuals. Never seen anything about lube. Outside of extreme cold I can't see lubing a plastic zipper.

There are lubes that are safe to put on nylon, etc. I wouldn't use silicon, though. I use it air pollution samplers specifically because particles that impact on it can easily be wiped away while stuck in a layer of sprayed on silicone.

Comment

I have used the Zip Tech on my dry suit zipper before. It worked well. I have not tried it on tent zippers.
                              I just got my Sierra designs tent back from having a zipper replaced. They noted that they lubed the other zipper. It does work much smoother now.
                              I don't know what product they used but it looks like it might be silicone based. I think I will E-Mail them and ask what they used.

Comment

Working...
                              X