1st camping trip!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st camping trip!

My husband and I just went on our first camping trip this past weekend. We loved it! We chose the Marmot Halo 6 tent and loved it. Thank you for lighting feedback, our headlamps and tent light worked out very well. So wonderful to have a quiet weekend in nature and out of the hustle and bustle of the city! Can not wait for our next weekend getaway!

Re: 1st camping trip!

Good for youse! I know well what you mean about getting out of the city.
    2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
    Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Congratulations on the first trip.

Comment

Originally posted by scubacamp View Post
        My husband and I just went on our first camping trip this past weekend. We loved it! We chose the Marmot Halo 6 tent and loved it. Thank you for lighting feedback, our headlamps and tent light worked out very well. So wonderful to have a quiet weekend in nature and out of the hustle and bustle of the city! Can not wait for our next weekend getaway!
        Always happy to hear of someone getting outdoors. Especially for the first time. Would love to hear some of the details of your trip.

My favorite part of camping is no cell reception.
        “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
        – E. B. White

Comment

The place was not very full the first night so it was incredibly quiet which I loved! Only the sound of crickets at night instead of a city bus or car with a thumping radio at 2am. I debated on how to make coffee and we ended up getting the Rei french press carafe which made great coffee. I am going to look on these threads to see if I can find the one someone posted about and outdoor type mat that sand and dirt just fall through that would be good in our vestibule.

My favorite part would be enjoying a good cup of coffee in the quiet outdoors.

Comment

That's why I've come to love off-season camping - no people. It's so quiet and peaceful with just the murmur of the wind in the trees and the soft sounds of bugs and birds.
            “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

I'm pretty sure I've said it elsewhere on here - to me, Winter is the best time to go camping, especially when there's a ton of snow on the ground. It's pretty and it's quiet. There are no bugs and no crowds. No need to run for ice every other day. AND, you don't stink and your buddies don't stink.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                I'm pretty sure I've said it elsewhere on here - to me, Winter is the best time to go camping, especially when there's a ton of snow on the ground. It's pretty and it's quiet. There are no bugs and no crowds. No need to run for ice every other day. AND, you don't stink and your buddies don't stink.
                Well, I think the accurate statement is "your noses are frozen shut so no one smells the stink".:rofl:
                “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
                  Well, I think the accurate statement is "your noses are frozen shut so no one smells the stink".:rofl:
                  :lol:

Unfortunately my wife has a ban on cold weather camping which is unfortunate. I don't mind the cold. I am almost always the first one up to light the fire on cold mornings and love the quiet that comes with cold days.

Maybe it has something to do with living in the middle of a desert and having a job where I am crawling through attics in the middle of July. It gets a bit warm at times.
                  “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                  – E. B. White

Comment

Good to hear it from you scubacamp
                    If someone wants to visit france or doing some camping there
                    here is a good informatif site you can use to learn more info about the camp
                    camping en france
                    Thanks

Comment

Thank you for the camping report, scubacamp. If you have those "beach mats" for laying on the playa available locally, you might consider those for vestibule mats. We just use the long ends of the tarp under the tent (waterproof tent floor, after all), but those beach mats have small gaps in the woven fabric that allow sand to shake out - and the size might be ideal. Happy Camping under your Halo!!!
                      “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                      ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Here's the sand free mat I use for the front vestibule on my Halo 4:

http://www.rei.com/product/819303/cg...at-small-6-x-6

It's 6 ft. x 6 ft and has 8 heavy stake down rings one in each corner and one at each midpoint. It stakes down perfectly with aluminum hook stakes (like the ones that come with the Halo). I generally stake down the outer corners to the same stakes I'm using for the vestibule and then shove any extra length under the tent. I then use the hook stakes the stake down the three exposed mid-point loops so it's solidly anchored.

It's been working out well. Easy to hose off if you bring it home muddy.

Comment

Thanks for a link to that mat hwc1954. I also like your idea of the beach mat tplife. Can't wait for the next trip and looking forward to the cooler weather that should be here then!

Comment

Congrats on a great trip! :D

Comment

Getting out of the city to spend a few days in the peaceful wilderness is always the best. Congrats on a successful camp

Comment

Working...
                              X