I bought a 4 season tent...I think.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I bought a 4 season tent...I think.

Well, now I have done it. I have been wanting a 4 season (or a tent that could handle colder temps and stronger winds) ever since my son's school went to a balanced calendar last year (shorten summer breaks and an additional week during fall and spring breaks). Since they have shortened summer break, it is really difficult to take more than 2 camp trips during summer break. Hence, the need to get out and camp more during his fall and spring breaks (it is just 3 of us camping). In Indiana, mid/late October (fall break) and late Mar/early April (spring break) can range from warm and pleasant to downright nasty and cold, with rain/snow and blustery winds. And that is where I got the idea of adding a 4 season tent to my gear...until you check out the prices. Yowza.

So I have been searching at least the past 6 months...craigslist, eBay, other internet sites, etc. looking for closeouts and/or discontinues. I had to get a deal as I am not sure how much the wife will enjoy cooler weather camping and I don't want to spend big $$$ on a failed experiment.

I finally found my tent on.....eBay. New in the box....70% off msrp (and there you go TP - lol - ...just takes a long time and being in the right place/right time). However, don't laugh at the brand. It is a Field & Stream Cloud Peak 4 Geodesic Dome tent. Lists for $349....I picked it up for $109. I have no idea who manufactures F&S, but this tent's size and specs match that of Cabelas Alaskan Guide Series 4 person tent.

Yes, I know F&S is not one of the high end tent manufacturer's, but the list of features (6 7000 series aluminum poles, 2000mm coating on fly, 3000mm coating on 210D oxford floor) and specs appear to make it a good candidate for the style of camping we will be trying out, it should be super stable in winds with the dome shape and 6 aluminum poles and 11 tie downs.....along with a price that won't kill me if cool/cold weather camping turns out to not be my wife's cup o tea.

List of features:

4 person tent
    4 season tent
    Dry Safe™ - 2000 mm waterproof coating and taped seams protects against precipitation
    Element Barrier bathtub-style floor has all major seams factory taped and a 3000 mm waterproof coating
    Fly provides a barrier against harsh weather
    Windows and roof vents designed with no-see-um mesh for air circulation
    Breathable fabric roof panels keep the tent cool in warm weather
    Vestibule offers shelter when entering and exiting the tent, as well as extra storage space
    Compact roll size
    6 poles
    7000 series aluminum poles
    1 door
    1 vestibule
    3 windows
    3 roof vents
    Fly included

Specifications:

Dimensions: 9'7" x 8'6"
    Floor area: 9'7" x 8'6"
    Peak height: 4'8"
    Fly material: Dry Safe™ - 2000 mm polyurethane waterproof coating
    Floor material: 210D poly-oxford with a 3000 mm polyurethane coating

Here it is in stock photos (I will set it up on arrival and take a few additional "set-up" photos to share along with my thoughts).

Any thoughts my fellow tent campers? I really could not find a whole lot out about this tent when researching it. But.....I figured I couldn't really go too far wrong on this one since it was only $109 so I nabbed it. The real test may come in October when we next camp....and bring this tent along.
    2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
    Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
    Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
    Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Re: I bought a 4 season tent...I think.

That looks like a great tent. Strong design, quality materials, right features for cold weather camping. Awesome deal for $109.

Comment

I am in the category of people that don't think you need to spend a lot of money on a 'high end' tent. I also agree that for $109 you can't go wrong. Can't wait to hear your review on it.
      “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
      – E. B. White

Comment

Great buy. Tent looks good.
        Moss Big Dipper
        Alaskan Guide 8
        Alaskan Guide 6
        NorthFace Tadpole 23
        ALPS Exteme 3
        Six Moon Designs Lunar Two

Comment

Looks sweet! Wish I hadn't gone to REI now. Already blew this month's fun money.

Comment

I am of the category of, Who cares what somebody on the internet thinks. If you like it, then that is all that counts, cause I will never spend a night in it. I know Dicks Sporting Goods sell's the Field and Stream stuff out here. I would be less worried about a tent, then I would be a good sleep system. It looks like it will do in the Indiana weather, baring an unexpected ice storm.
            Nights camped in 2019: 24
            Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Congratulations! I am in the category of both these categories:

Originally posted by James. View Post
              I am in the category of people that don't think you need to spend a lot of money on a 'high end' tent. I also agree that for $109 you can't go wrong. Can't wait to hear your review on it.
              Originally posted by 05Kingquad700 View Post
              I am of the category of, Who cares what somebody on the internet thinks. If you like it, then that is all that counts, cause I will never spend a night in it.
              “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Originally posted by 05Kingquad700 View Post
                I am of the category of, Who cares what somebody on the internet thinks. If you like it, then that is all that counts, cause I will never spend a night in it. I know Dicks Sporting Goods sell's the Field and Stream stuff out here. I would be less worried about a tent, then I would be a good sleep system. It looks like it will do in the Indiana weather, baring an unexpected ice storm.
                I don't mind hearing from someone who has a similar model (like the Cabelas brand) that could pass along any tips/experiences they've encountered. It's all opinion and/or advice. Take it or leave it.

Sleeping systems may be an upcoming thread I will get started looking for thoughts. I have been doing my research on cold weather sleeping also along with patiently looking for a colder weather tent....but really undecided which way I want to go product/cost/benefit-wise on a sleeping system. But I know I have to keep 3 of us all warm. Or no more cool/cold weather camping for the Hoosier family. lol.
                Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
                Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
                Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Looks nice. I got a vaguely similar deal on a Cabela's Outback Lodge off ebay. I was thinking I'd have a stove jack put in for winter camping. Now I'm thinking I will experiment with a propane heater first to see if the condensation is a problem or not. It's a single wall, but there's lots of ventilation. With yours being double walled you might have luck on a Mr. Buddy solving some problems.

Comment

Originally posted by howl View Post
                    Looks nice. I got a vaguely similar deal on a Cabela's Outback Lodge off ebay. I was thinking I'd have a stove jack put in for winter camping. Now I'm thinking I will experiment with a propane heater first to see if the condensation is a problem or not. It's a single wall, but there's lots of ventilation. With yours being double walled you might have luck on a Mr. Buddy solving some problems.
                    The Field and Stream tent seems like a rock solid deal. Best of luck breaking it in!

I live in Minnesota and I tend to camp in the fall more so than any other season. Last fall I used a mr. buddy in a double walled tent. The tent was a 12x12. Four people slept in the tent. The low for the night got down to 25 degrees and the mr. Buddy heater ran most of the night. Our sleeping systems were average to just a tad under below average but the heater kept us comfortable. The next morning the condensation was really bad.

I know own the Cabela's 12x20 Alaknak. I also have a wood stove for it. I can't wait for summer to turn into fall as I want to fire up the stove and see how it performs. I'm also looking forward to when fall turns into winter as we also have a few December trips lined up. For sleeping systems we have cots and the Exped MegaMat 10 air mattresses. These mattresses are incredible as they have a R value of 9.5. We also have sleeping bags rated for summer fall and winter.

In fact, I am currently camping in northern Minnesota. Definitely a nip in the air today and this evening. The temps are cooling off and our sleep system is working like a champ as I type this. The low tonight is supposed to get down to 45 and Wednesday morning we could see temps under 40. Cold weather equals no bugs!

Comment

It's difficult to assess the quality of product without actually seeing it. Let's say we're looking at buying a camel hair blazer, size 42. I can buy one on eBay for $50 or I can get one at Paul Stuart in Manhattan for $2,000. They both have the same dimensions and they both are made from camel hair. They're the same, right?

Not a chance. Not all camel hair is the same. The inexpensive camel hair comes from the harsh, top region of a camel whereas the very expensive, delicate and soft camel hair comes from the belly region. They're all "camel hair" but they difference in material quality is substantial.

With that as a back drop, I wonder if the same can be said with tents. How are they stitched, how are they seam sealed, what quality are the zippers, what is the base material that is coated and where did it come from, etc,.

Sometimes, there are no differences and the generic brand is just as good. Often, at least in my experience, the difference is in the details and the custom name brand has paid attention to details in a way the generic brand hasn't.

In the end, it depends on whether someone is willing to pay for that customization. If you camp a few times a year, it probably makes no sense. Save your money and buy generic.

If you must rely upon it in potentially life-threatening situations (Kodiak Island, Alaska), then you'd be better advised to get a name brand that has been put through the mill and tested in the worst of conditions.
                      Moss Big Dipper
                      Alaskan Guide 8
                      Alaskan Guide 6
                      NorthFace Tadpole 23
                      ALPS Exteme 3

Comment

Originally posted by wiiawiwb View Post
                        It's difficult to assess the quality of product without actually seeing it. Let's say we're looking at buying a camel hair blazer, size 42. I can buy one on eBay for $50 or I can get one at Paul Stuart in Manhattan for $2,000. They both have the same dimensions and they both are made from camel hair. They're the same, right?

Not a chance. Not all camel hair is the same. The inexpensive camel hair comes from the harsh, top region of a camel whereas the very expensive, delicate and soft camel hair comes from the belly region. They're all "camel hair" but they difference in material quality is substantial.

With that as a back drop, I wonder if the same can be said with tents. How are they stitched, how are they seam sealed, what quality are the zippers, what is the base material that is coated and where did it come from, etc,.

Sometimes, there are no differences and the generic brand is just as good. Often, at least in my experience, the difference is in the details and the custom name brand has paid attention to details in a way the generic brand hasn't.

In the end, it depends on whether someone is willing to pay for that customization. If you camp a few times a year, it probably makes no sense. Save your money and buy generic.

If you must rely upon it in potentially life-threatening situations (Kodiak Island, Alaska), then you'd be better advised to get a name brand that has been put through the mill and tested in the worst of conditions.

wiiawiwb - good example with the camel hair and you bring up very good points. The bugger is always in the details. I am definitely assuming this is a "generic" because I could not find much info/reviews/etc out there on the www for this brand and this tent in particular. It has the features I wanted...how well they were executed or how durable those feature will be, I do not know. I knew that before buying it, so anything over and above that generic standard will be a pleasant surprise. Especially at the price point I paid for it.

It arrives tomorrow, so if the weather cooperates, I should get an opportunity to pitch it and see just what I bought.

sigpic

Comment

The Field & stream canoes have been rebranded Old Towne is at least one instance. Could be yours came from the same place as Cabela's.

Comment

You hear that type of phenomenon where a factory makes the same item for several retailers. I suspect that major retailers, like Cabelas, where the Alaskan Guide IS their flagship tent, would have agreements in place with suppliers that protect knockoffs from occurring.

a65 - Any chance you could post pictures here or, better yet, to video a walk through of the tent and post on Youtube? I'm very curious to see how close the design is to the Alaskan Guide.
                            Moss Big Dipper
                            Alaskan Guide 8
                            Alaskan Guide 6
                            NorthFace Tadpole 23
                            ALPS Exteme 3

Comment

Originally posted by wiiawiwb View Post
                              You hear that type of phenomenon where a factory makes the same item for several retailers. I suspect that major retailers, like Cabelas, where the Alaskan Guide IS their flagship tent, would have agreements in place with suppliers that protect knockoffs from occurring.

a65 - Any chance you could post pictures here or, better yet, to video a walk through of the tent and post on Youtube? I'm very curious to see how close the design is to the Alaskan Guide.
                              Sure will do. It arrived a day early, so I had a nice surprise awaiting me when I got home from work today. No time tonight to get it set-up, but I will in the next day or so and take some pics. Not sure about my video skills....lol.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X