Flies!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flies!

On our last camping trip we had a problem with flies. They greatly annoy me anyway but for some reason this trip they REALLY annoyed me. I am determined to not have this happen again. So, what do you guys use to control the flies while you are camping? Citronella didn't seem to do anything. I hung a bag with water to no avail. I am thinking next time some fly strips but they are kind of gross so if there is something better I am all ears.
    “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
    – E. B. White

Re: Flies!

Flies? Flies!
    I swear I see way less flies in my later years than I recall as a child.
    No idea just felt like sharing.
    2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
    Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

I find flies are like fleas. The only thing that gets them gone is to use chemicals. I try not to use chemicals for most things, but these two I just don't even bother with other so called solutions. Bring a can of spray and call it a day.
      “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

I have been really surprised to be able to survive at night around the campsite with just permethrin treated long sleeve shirt, long pants, and hat or cap. For hiking during the day with short sleeves and shorts, I add bug spray to exposed skin.

Comment

I don't really have a problem while out hiking...or even sitting around the campfire for some reason. It is, or rather was, a problem while cooking. The food attracted the flies and even if they are not landing on the food directly they are landing on the table and everything else.

I have seen a bunch of sites that say lemon slices with clove shoved in them. Anyone here try this and what were the results?
          “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
          – E. B. White

Comment

If you have a non-electric campsite, bring a mosquito net tent. If you are in an electricity canpsite, use a big wind fan. If you are back-country camping, youare screwed unless you plan your trips to avoid the hatches.

Most flies seem to be worse in sunshine, so camp in shade if you can.

Comment

Working...
            X