Southern Arizona

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Southern Arizona

I had never really considered heading SOUTH of Phoenix to go camping. Around here when people want to get out of the 100+ degree temps they head north toward Flagstaff and the pine forests of northern Arizona. Basically up the mountain to cooler weather and shade. It just goes against conventional thinking to drive south.

Anyway, what I found was a seasonal creek that runs right next to several campgrounds with lost of hiking trails. I realized on our last day that there was a small waterfall just upstream of where we were camping.
    Attached Files
    “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
    – E. B. White

Re: Southern Arizona

and a few more. You can see my canopy and tent in the background of the last one.
    Attached Files
    “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
    – E. B. White

Comment

Looks like a great spot. You're lucky to have so many choices of places to camp. We in northern Illinois have to drive a few hours to get anything decent. :(

Comment

Originally posted by bluestar99 View Post
        Looks like a great spot. You're lucky to have so many choices of places to camp. We in northern Illinois have to drive a few hours to get anything decent. :(
        Thanks, we really ARE blessed when it comes to camping here. There are just soooo many options to choose from. This trip was 3 hours from the time we left the driveway to pulling into our campsite....and there are places I can go that are just over an hour away. Heck, sometimes when I have a job in Scottsdale I will drive 15 minutes out of my way just to drive by a nearby lake.
        – E. B. White

Comment

We have to go up to Wisconsin to get any really good camping. Illinois has a lot of flat farmland and not much in the way of interesting terrain. So for now I camp with a group in the Northern half of the state. What we give up in great camping places we make up with great people to camp with. So for now it works out well. I try and take a long 2 week trip some where every year and 6-7 weekends near by.
          Some day I hope to live some where like you James with lots of interesting places to explore.

Comment

Great photos. Any fish in those waters? :-)

Comment

Originally posted by coloradowalt View Post
              Great photos. Any fish in those waters? :-)
              Nah, it was only a couple inches deep in most parts and I am pretty sure it is a dry river (this totally makes sense in Arizona) most of the year.
              – E. B. White

Comment

Theres some interesting mountains in the southern part of the state.

Have you read the book "On the Border with Crook" by John G Bourke? If you like history, its pretty interesting account of his time in Az during the Apache Wars period. Some good descriptions of the country and people also.

Looks like you had a nice camp there.

Comment

I'm so jealous! I was born in Phoenix in 57' grandparents lived in Prescott and Flagstaff after my grandfather retired from the phoenix fire dept. Great grandfather was one of founding fathers of Scottsdale. We spent many weekends camping all over Arizona when I was young. Now living in central Texas, I yearn to return someday to enjoy the Arizona beauty and camp once again and relive a childhood memory!

Comment

i have done a lot of camping near Bisbee, Tombstone, and the Chiricahua mountains. I love SW Arizona. It's quiet and remote.

Visit me at Campward Bound for more camping information.
                    sigpic

Comment

Thanks, we really ARE blessed when it comes to camping here. There are just soooo many options to choose from. This trip was 3 hours from the time we left the driveway to pulling into our campsite....

examtopics
                      examtopics
                      examtopics
                      examtopics
                      examtopics
                      examtopics
                      examtopics
                      examtopics
                      examtopics
                      examtopics
                      examtopics
                      itexams
                      itexams
                      itexams
                      itexams
                      itexams
                      itexams
                      itexams
                      itexams
                      itexams
                      itexams
                      itexams
                      Certification Questions
                      Certification Questions
                      Certification Questions
                      Certification Questions
                      Certification Questions
                      Certification Questions
                      Certification Questions
                      Certification Questions
                      Certification Questions
                      Certification Questions
                      Certification Questions
                      Last edited by alieen; 08-26-2020, 01:23 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X