Screams in the Night

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Screams in the Night

I went out for another backpacking trial run on Monday. After the death march the first time out, I made two changes in strategy:

1) I lightened the load bringing the pack weight down from 49 pounds to 35 pounds. A lot of little savings, including a new lightweight tent. But, the biggie was not carrying any water except what I would drink on the hike in.

2) A much less ambitious hike. Just a flat 3.2 stroll along the Pemi Eastside trail from Lincoln Woods Trailhead on the Kancamagus Hwy in the White Mountains of NH. Destination was the Franconia Brook Tentsite -- a primitive backwoods area with 18 tent sites, good water availability from the river, and outhouse facilities.

Not a terribly scenic destination, but I'd never been up the east side of the Pemi. The 7 mile hike on my first outing just about killed me. And, I'm not ready to climb with a heavy overnight pack.

Everything went according to plan. The hike in with 35 pounds was enough to be a good workout, but not a death march. I picked out a site and got my tent pitched in short order. (I had pitched it at home when did the permethrin treatment). Strolled down to the East Pemi, sat on a rock in the late afternoon sun, and filtered 4 liters of water for coffee, dinner, and so forth while watching a first year orientation group from Yale ford the river.

Poor kids. They were on the fourth day of a loop, had spent the first night in the pouring rain and the day before climbing up to Franconia Ridge. I don't think they were hikers and not terribly well equipped (iodine for water treatment, big plastic painters tarps as their shelter. Duct tape on their feet for blisters. They were pretty much demolished. Anyway, they ended up pitching they camp and campfire right next to me. I think I tortured them with my fresh ground coffee and dinner of ramen noodles and salmon...

In the middle of the night (about 1:00 am) I heard a scream. Not just any scream. A blood curdling scream A mass murderer scream. The kind of scream that you'd let out if you were home alone and Charlie Manson walked in the door. A scream like when you hear the chainsaw start in a slasher movie. Turns out, one of the kids has woken up to see a bear poking around their backpacks six feet away from where she was sleeping. This was accompanied by a chorus of screams and headlights in every direction. I finally crawled out of my sleeping bag to check it out and hear th story of the bear.

I never actually saw the bear, but about 10 minutes later, I hear "BEAR! BEAR! BEAR BY TENT!" from the next campsite on the other side of me. Sheesh. Needless to say, I didn't get right back to sleep..... Smile

They said they put all their food in the bear box (dumpster) at the camping area. But, after four days, their packs had to be laced with food smells and the bear was looking for some easy eats.

Kinda aggravating because I had all my food and smellables in my own bear cannister a couple hundred feet from my tent. The bear probably didn't want anything to do with me and I certainly didn't want anything to do with the bear. It could have sniffed at my food all night for all I care! Without my neighbors and ten smelly packs in a pile, the bear and I would have made it through the night blissfully ignorant of each other's presence -- which is just the way I like it! Of course, it wouldn't have been as exciting with screaming and headlights piercing the backwoods darkness.

No video of the bear.... I assume they will eventually have to remove it as it is obviously well acclimated to people and an increasing nuisance at this camp site as it makes its nightly rounds. Here's a short video:

http://youtu.be/40yrkT_dPGA

And a few pics:

Re: Screams in the Night

And, a couple pix of my tent on its maiden voyage. Worked out really well for one person. Not much room to spare, but light and easy to carry. 4 pounds 9 ounces with everything -- all the stakes, extra guylines (for tent platforms), poles, rainfly, rubber bands, stuff sacks, and the footprint. It was fine on a nippy night (got down to a low of 45 degrees). Zero condensation.

Last edited by hwc1954; 08-21-2014, 10:56 AM.

Comment

hwc1954 - Great story...well told! Really beautiful area you get to hike and a nice choice of song (lol) on the vid! Thanks for sharing.
      2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
      Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
      Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
      Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Always liked that song. Nice video.

Comment

I never appreciated people who lose their cool and see white light and scream bloody murder when under stress. It makes absolutely no sense at all. I have heard rabbits scream when slaughtered and it kinda reminds me of that.

Why women are especially prone to screaming is a mystery to me. Either run or fight, or do something, but screaming???

We have a woman in our family "who will go unnamed" who justs freaks out in some situations and starts screaming. No action, nothing productive, just stiff backed, shrill screaming. She will call on the phone just screaming, but cannot relay what the problem is or where she is - no information; just screaming bloody murder. As you can imagine this is stressful for the receivers of such calls. If the monster was coming, she would be the first to go because she would not run, just stand there screaming as if an invitation "please eat me first, me first".

I heard some wailing at a campground a few years back. I went to investigate and found an adult man standing over another man who was lying on the ground lifeless. The screamer was just jumping up and down wailing and screaming at the downed man. His friend had had a heart attack. Rather than do CPR, or call 911, the only man who could have done any good simply allowed himself to panic and scream while his friend died on the ground... and he did die. I have no respect whatsoever for a man like that. Mothers, don't let your kids grow up to be sissies.

in my world, screamers, need not apply. Don't fill out the application. Just go.
          Last edited by Mike; 08-22-2014, 12:40 PM.

Comment

Actually, I understand that the best thing you can do if a bear is rummaging around your campsite is to scream bloody murder and make a lot of noise. I don't think that I would charge the bear! And, running is not recommended. A whistle. An air horn. A banging pan. A scream or shout.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
              If the monster was coming, she would be the first to go because she would not run, just stand there screaming as if an invitation "please eat me first, me first".
              This is called Survival of the Fittest. We need more monsters to hunt down the screamers.

Neither of my parents ever got hysterical like that, they just very calmly dealt with the situation. I am grateful that they taught me that skill. I think this is one of those traits that is slowly disappearing from our world - like humility and empathy. It has become common place to show people freaking out rather than dealing with life in the media, so people think they SHOULD be freaking out.

As for bears and other wild animals, loud noises are appropriate, but those noises in the lower range will be more effective. Watch dogs - a high pitched shriek "stop that" will be pretty much useless; a low pitched "no" will very often stop the dog immediately. Also, shrieking is a common sound during a life and death fight, so a cat, wolf/coyote, or bear isn't necessarily going to notice it. Using noises that the animal doesn't normally hear will get its attention quicker.
              “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

This poor bear got hit with 10 people screaming bloody murder at close range. Poor thing, if he'd come over to my tent I would have given him my ear plugs and a sip or two of scotch!

One of the advantages of a tent over sleeping under a tarp is that you can be blissfully oblivious to things you can't see!

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
                  This is called Survival of the Fittest. We need more monsters to hunt down the screamers.

Neither of my parents ever got hysterical like that, they just very calmly dealt with the situation. I am grateful that they taught me that skill. I think this is one of those traits that is slowly disappearing from our world - like humility and empathy. It has become common place to show people freaking out rather than dealing with life in the media, so people think they SHOULD be freaking out.

I agree with you. People who choose to panic and just stand there and scream are saying, "I choose not to deal with this. Somebody else deal with it. I am mentally and physically checking out. Your problem, not mine. I'll just stand here and shreak and make the situation worse"

Situations are bad enough without somebody standing there shreaking and freaking out. You almost feel like the first order of business in an emergency is to turn a water hose on the screamer.

Like you, toedtoes, neither of my parents were screamers. When calamity happened, they went into action. As a result, none of my siblings are screamers - not even the girls. Run or fight.

Comment

It is the Darwinian Process. Sometimes you have to weed out the stupid and the weak.
                    “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                    – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by James. View Post
                      Sometimes you have to weed out the stupid and the weak.
                      We've been known to do that with massive amounts of alcohol :biggrin:

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                        We've been known to do that with massive amounts of alcohol :biggrin:

I usually get a LOT smarter during football season.
                        “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                        – E. B. White

Comment

Working...
                        X