Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Information for the Beginning camper

Hi all,

I've got a number of friends who have been asking for a resource to help the beginner get out camping.

Here is a link to the first chapter of the camping guide:

http://www.campingstovecookout.com/wheretogocamping

I'm curious if this is helpful or you have any feedback that could help. Are there other resources out there that could help the newbie.

Thanks,

dave

Re: Information for the Beginning camper

So.... what is this, Dave? A promo for your camping website?

Comment

or the new camper can just join a forum like this and ask questions,
      would be glad to help them out

Comment

Originally posted by terasec View Post
        or the new camper can just join a forum like this and ask questions,
        would be glad to help them out
        A good point of clarification. Well, I guess we all have days like this where we step out of your comfort zone and try something different. Only to realize that you were way off on your path.

It's a good learning lesson for me. I hope to keep providing useful information and learning from the group as we move forward.

dave

Comment

I thought it was a good list. But I will agree with the others in saying that if you know people that are new to camping this forum would be better than any list as they can ask specific questions.

Besides....I think most new campers have more questions about gear than where to go.
          “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
          – E. B. White

Comment

when it comes to gear, think many new campers over think it,
            keep it simple, dont need much to start,
            and dont need much camping specific gear if car camping,
            what i find most new campers lack is information on where to go,
            many arent aware of the wealth of information available online, even from their own states websites,
            also many dont know about the state forests right in their back yard,
            if they move away from organized car camping campgrounds, and start backpacking and such, then laws and regulations are an important factor,

Comment

Originally posted by James. View Post
              I thought it was a good list. But I will agree with the others in saying that if you know people that are new to camping this forum would be better than any list as they can ask specific questions.

Besides....I think most new campers have more questions about gear than where to go.
              Thanks James. Yes, this forum is awesome and a wealth of information. Thanks for all of the information you have been providing in here.
              The gear list is a whole other animal but imagine there are some good links in the forum.

Comment

Originally posted by terasec View Post
                when it comes to gear, think many new campers over think it,
                keep it simple, dont need much to start,
                and dont need much camping specific gear if car camping,
                what i find most new campers lack is information on where to go,
                many arent aware of the wealth of information available online, even from their own states websites,
                also many dont know about the state forests right in their back yard,
                if they move away from organized car camping campgrounds, and start backpacking and such, then laws and regulations are an important factor,
                I like the KISS acronym. Keep it simple stupid. Just for a harsh reminder that we don't have to bring every piece of gear.
                Finding a place to go backpacking is a little different and requires different gear. There is no substitute for good research. Find an area you hear or read about and get all of the information you can. And let someone know where you are heading for safety.

Comment

Originally posted by stewardc View Post
                  I like the KISS acronym. Keep it simple stupid. Just for a harsh reminder that we don't have to bring every piece of gear.
                  Finding a place to go backpacking is a little different and requires different gear. There is no substitute for good research. Find an area you hear or read about and get all of the information you can. And let someone know where you are heading for safety.
                  good point on letting others know,
                  recently in the news was a guy who spent 5 days lost in the woods,
                  was just out fishing, but got lost looking for bait,
                  someone back home called and started the rescue, he was found 5 days after he got lost because someone knew area he went fishing and knew he hasnt been back.

Comment

I agree with the comments here. My first thing is to determine what type of camping you want to do. Do you want to car camp (what type of vehicle), backpack, RV, etc.? Do you want dispersed, traditional campground, glamping, etc.? Then move from there. This will simplify what you will need and how you will need to handle it. If you're gong to camp at a traditional campground with your trailer, then you can eliminate things that you might well need if you're camping in the back of your pickup. Camping out of a camry will have different limitations than camping out of a large van; dispersed camping will require different camping gear than glamping ,etc.

The rest will flow along once you answer those two questions.
                    “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Working...
                    X