Primitive camping, Shawnee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primitive camping, Shawnee

I'm interested in doing some primitive camping at Shawnee National Forest, and had some questions for anybody who has been there before. I found information on the state park website that says primitive camping is allowed anywhere in the park with a few exceptions, but then it goes on to list a few places to camp. Unfortunately, these are not places I want to camp. So, does anybody know if you REALLY can camp anywhere you like, considering the exceptions listed on the website (lakeshores, natural areas, etc.)? Additionally, does anybody have any recommendations on awesome places to camp there?

If it helps for recommendations, I'm looking for some very seriously primitive camping. I won't even be bringing a tent, and accessibility won't be an issue. Also, the fewer people around, the better.

Re: Primitive camping, Shawnee

camping at designated camp sites only

http://forestry.ohiodnr.gov/portals/...e_backpack.pdf

trail rule #1

that being said I know people have camped elsewhere, enforcement is lax but you can and will be ticketed for it if caught

if you want basically unrestricted camping in Ohio try wildcat hollow at the north end of burr oak lake

not the longest trail available in ohio by a long shot but it is not real well used and you can disappear back there for days and not see anyone especially once you get into the northern parts of the trail

note: no water available other than what you can pack in or get yourself, in dry summers most of the streams dry up as well

I think symmes creek is also unrestricted but I'd have to re-check that.

Comment

Working...
    X