Bucket light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bucket light

I'm afraid I wouldn't have reacted well to someone that left lights on in a campground. A lady I was working for mentioned a light on her house that needed to be hooked up. I traced the wire, then asked "Where's the switch for it?". She said it would be on all the time with a photoelectric eye. I made a comment about too much light in the neighborhood. She said something about her right to have a light (insecurity lights as I call them). I said "yes, I have no problem with that, as long as it doesnt interfere with my right to darkness. If people can keep all the light on their own property and I cant see it at all, I have no problem with it." She looked a little thoughtful at that point, and never has hooked up that light.

Some of the things mentioned in this thread are a bit out of my range of experience, I tend to camp in National Forest, just out in the sticks somewhere. I did camp in a developed campground in Yellowstone a few nights, the only thing that woke me up was somebody hollering "Bear!". I was able to go right back to sleep though.

Comment

I agree Malamute. I normally camp at developed campgrounds in National Forests and I haven't run into anything quite as extreme as what I read on forums (not just this one).

I've had lights shine into my RV (someone driving out); a loose dog (when I asked them firmly to get their dog away from mine they complied); obnoxious noise (one woman shrieked all day long on the lake but it soon faded into the background noises); and drunken campers (he puked most of the night in the restrooms across from my site - I never heard it, but my friend did).
      “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
        You forgot generators, putting up of picket fences, chainsaws, out of tune singing, peeing in the campsite, drunken puking at 3 a.m., smoky campfires, and my personal favorite:

If you go to a family campground and you do not have a large group of people and kids to keep you busy, you must absolutely not sit quietly at your campsite without a campfire and not talk to all the obnoxious jerks camping around you. (Read that one on another forum - they actually complained about two separate couples who spent their holiday weekend quietly at their own campsite not bothering another soul. Why did they complain? Because obviously these people are some sort of nuts not to have complained to the other campers about their noise and obnoxiousness...
        Hehehehe...I read that one as well. It was quite the eye-opener:D.

So far been blessed this year. Not a thing fer me to complain about that wuz humanmade. Unless it's true that moon landings effected the amount of rain we get...
        2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
        Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

We use a bucket light due to having kids and the places we usually camp have a bit of uneven ground, but we always turn it off as it gets time to wind down which is usually no later than 9. If we're in close proximity to another camp I'd just use the small rope light I have which is fairly dim and make sure the kids carry their flashlights. I also make sure the kids always direct their flashlights towards the ground when walking around and not into other camps.

Comment

I found some good DIY tips here: LINK REMOVED BY MODERATOR
            Including a lantern made from a milk jug.

Comment

Originally posted by steve-moore View Post
              I found some good DIY tips here: LINK REMOVED BY MODERATOR
              Including a lantern made from a milk jug.
              Steve, posting a link to your own site, where you sell stuff, and claim you "found" it is just not nice.
              JohnJohn
              ---------
              Forum Admin

Comment

The bucket lights are super cute. Only problem is that I am a grouch about light in general when camping. As I've gotten older, I can't even tolerate using our lanterns in evening. Either it didn't bother me when I was younger or the light problem has become worse over the years.

I hate, Hate, HATE when people leave lights on all night. Porch lights on RVs and strings of party lights are the worst offenders. On my last camping trip I was fantasizing about yanking someone's porch light off the side of their RV ... and then thankfully the Ambien kicked in. The Ambien people shouldn't have to take while camping because of lights or loudness.

Reading on this thread that people were complaining about couples who quietly kept to themselves all weekend is disturbing. Firstly, because people should be minding their business and not worrying about what others are doing so long as it isn't disruptive. Secondly, because that attitude reflects a change for the worse about what society is expecting at campgrounds.

If people want to be loud and party, they should not be at established campgrounds. They should do what teenagers do and go camp on someone's secluded property where they're not bothering anyone.

This is just one reason I prefer state parks. They usually don't allow alcohol, although they don't bother grown adults quietly having a drink at their campfire, it gives them ammunition to put the party crowd out. Park rangers always patrol and watch for bad behavior, unlike most private campground owners.

Comment

Working...
                X