• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Favorite Childhood Foods That No Longer Exist

Your right James, what is it?

Comment

James - How cool! (I cheated and looked it up since I was not an AZ kid and did not know what the heck it was-lol). Is that yours?
      2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
      Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
      Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
      Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bluestar99 View Post
        Your right James, what is it?
        It is a Ladmo bag from a local kids show that aired here in Phoenix from the 50's to the late 80's. VERY popular with a cast of (mostly) 3 people. Wallace and Ladmo were the stars (obviously) and Pat McMahon who played a handful of characters (Captain Super, Marshal Good, Aunt Maud, Gerald, The Wizard and I am pretty sure there are more that I can't remember) They just had fun every day, did their skits, showed cartoons and gave out the beloved Ladmo bags.

Sadly, both Wallace and Ladmo have passed away. Ladmo from cancer in the 90's and Wallace passed earlier this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avT1JfQoyUc

Originally posted by a65hoosier View Post
        James - How cool! (I cheated and looked it up since I was not an AZ kid and did not know what the heck it was-lol). Is that yours?
        I wish it was mine.....I never got to go to a taping and never won a Ladmo bag. I was talking to some guys at my supply house this morning and mentioned the show. One of the other customers laughed and told me that he met Ladmo in a restaurant and told him that he never got a Ladmo Bag, scrounged up a brown paper bag and asked him to sign it. He laughed and said that Ladmo was drunk but did his best, scrawling out the LAD in big block letters before he realized that he was running out of room so he made the MO considerably smaller and signed the bag.

We laughed but looked at the guy and said, "But you still have the bag don't you."

"Yep."

I am getting a bit nostalgic here and it is honestly making me a sad that those two are no longer around. I have watched interviews and it just comes through that they loved what they did and genuinely cared for each other. When Ladmo died Wallace was interviewed and at the end the reporter asks if there is anything else he would like to add. Wallace simply answers, "I miss my friend"
        “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
        – E. B. White

Comment

I will second the original Jello Pudding pops. I also loved Waffelos cereal, especially the blueberry ones.

Comment

Thanks James. Growing up in Chicago we had Frazier Thomas, Garfield Goose and Mr Green Jeans. Fun local guys who entertained us as we grew up.

Back to food........I also miss Big John's baked beans. They came in 2 cans. The small secret sauce can was attached to the top of some ordinary baked beans. Back then the only baked beans you could find were pork n beans. These may have sparked the many varieties we have now.

Comment

o0o0 Yea, when I was a kid this stuff was the coolest, colored ketchup! bauaha now looking at it, it looks entirely disgusting!
              Visit www.gearspoke.com for all of your rental needs!

Comment

I have 2.

Quisp cereal. Kinda like captain crunch (the regular stuff) only instead of those little barrel shaped things they were little saucers (like space man - little green men - alien flying saucers). LOVED THAT CEREAL - and the attached cartoons.

Second, the pizza hut priazzo stuffed pizza.

Sigh.

Comment

NJ Pine Barrens Clam Bakes. Palisades Park French Fries. Turkish Taffy. Sid & Roxie's Green Turtle Chowder (canned or frozen).

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/131549
                  “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                  ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Royal Lunch Milk crackers. With a slice of sharp cheddar cheese and green grapes. Sniffle.
                    2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
                    Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

I remember when the purple ketchup came out. I always hated grape flavored anything and stayed far away from anything purple for fear of that flavor, so I wouldn't touch the stuff.
                      “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Totinos Pizza Rolls - sister and I ate those as a snack when we got home from school and it was about three hours til Mom and Dad got home to make dinner. They still have them in the store, but they just don't seem to taste as good.

Keebler Pizzeria Chips, a couple or three different pizza-style flavors in a triangular pizza slice shape. Great stuff! They seem to have been discontinued. Dang, I loved those things!
                        Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Bigdog: Better living through chemistry, eh? Like most of those childhood foods we remember :-)
                          2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

So far I've seen three items that still exist

Turkish Taffy, Totino's Pizza Rolls, Walter's Beer (might be back - web page says 2010).

And, yes, the Curly Wurly bars taste as good as the original Marathons. My sister bought me a couple dozen for my birthday. I don't know if they just appeared smaller because I'm no longer 10 years old, or if they went the way of the Hershey bars and just shrank for profit's sake.

Comment

I think they did shrink a bit.
                              “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Everything shrinks, and the price goes up. Just been looking at the current Ritz Cracker boxes-definitely shorter than years ago!
                                Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Working...
                                X