X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite Childhood Foods That No Longer Exist

Thought I'd move us away from shooting things...:he:

What are your favorite foods from childhood that no longer exist? Mine are:

Schilling Taco Casserole mix - this was great stuff, just add your own hamburger. My mom made it for every evening potluck we went to (potato salad was the daytime potluck dish). People have tried to recreate this casserole without success.

Carnation Breakfast Bars - they were chocolate cake-like squares individually wrapped. Filling, tasty, wonderful. I had a grocery delivery guy tell me from out of the blue that the one thing he missed most of all was this.

Kraft Fudgies - like the caramels, but fudge caramel. Wrapped in gold foil. My grandmother always had a bowl of them on the coffee table. I have the bowl. About 15 years ago, a friend found a bag of them in a store's discount bin. I am guessing they brought them back for a limited run - otherwise I ate a bag of 30+ year old fudgies... They were delish!

All three of the above would be perfect for a camping trip. So what are your missed favorites?
    “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Re: Favorite Childhood Foods That No Longer Exist

I recall the Schilling taco mix. my mom made then now and then and I always loved them! The casserole sounds good!

I also recall the Carnation Breakfast Bars. I liked them.

I missed out on the Fudgies. :(

I miss my moms spaghetti. I asked her about it, she said she changed it around all the time and hasn't made it in years. I'm going to try to get her to make it next time I visit and pay attention!

Comment

No longer exists?
      My Nana's homemade potato yeast dinner rolls which taste nothing like the rolls you can buy for sliders.
      She gave me the pan the rolls were made in but I lost the recipe:grrrrrr:
      2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
      Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

These came to mind....

It took a long time to eat one (perhaps that's why I bought them as a kid). Haven't been produced in years.
        2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
        Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
        Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
        Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

You can get Marathon bars via Amazon. They still make them. They are called Curly Wurly's. I love those.
          “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

I was going for purchased products, but I understand the homemade stuff. There are several things I miss that my Grandmother made. With my Mom, it was different - she set water on fire (really and truly set a pot of water on fire).

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
              You can get Marathon bars via Amazon. They still make them. They are called Curly Wurly's. I love those.
              I saw those. Same size, probably sure they taste the same (or close enough to my adult tastebuds), but the red packaging...with the ruler on the back. Gone. Sigh. lol. I might still buy a box of those or put them on my Christmas wishlist. mmmm
              2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
              Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
              Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
              Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

I bought them. They have the same thick chewy texture as the original. Christmastime is a good time to order them - they won't melt on the way.

Comment

My nanny's mashed potato pancakes. My step mom's fried potatoes.
                  I am glad they brought back the Mountain Dew with real sugar.
                  Nights camped in 2019: 24
                  Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Arrowroot cookies.

Discontinued not too long ago

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
                      I was going for purchased products, but I understand the homemade stuff. There are several things I miss that my Grandmother made. With my Mom, it was different - she set water on fire (really and truly set a pot of water on fire).
                      Made me laugh.

I tell people I'm culinarily challenged, and offer this up as an example,

Comment

That would be my Mom.

Comment

Fudgies was the first thing that came to mind. Also Tang. While it did not taste good it is a memory of camping with my family as a kid. Mom used it because it was cheap and did not take up cooler space.

Comment

^ ^ You can still get Tang. I keep some around for if/when I run out of OJ.

Comment

Originally posted by Malamute View Post
                              ^ ^ You can still get Tang. I keep some around for if/when I run out of OJ.
                              Did not know it still existed.....but I will not buy it. I'm an OJ snob.

Comment

Working...
                              X