Favorite Childhood Foods That No Longer Exist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Favorite Childhood Foods That No Longer Exist

I'm an OJ snob also. I only buy the Tropicana Pure Premium, the chunky version, but tang is better than nothing orange-ish tasting in the morning to take vitamins with. I live about 35 miles out of town, it isn't a simple thing to run to the store to pick up a few things. I try to stay ahead of my basic grocery use, but once in a while I end up several days to a week without a few things if I don't get to town.

Comment

I rarely get Tang anymore, but it's better than powder lemonade mixes. It was a staple for camping.

Thinking of camping, the ONLY time as a kid I ever saw Mountain Dew was on camping trips. We'd hop in the truck camper and that Mountain Dew would be right there. Never had it at home (we always had plenty of soda and colas, but never Mountain Dew). To this day, I can actually taste it when I think of our camping trips. I haven't had it in years - I suspect the memory of the taste is a lot better than the reality. Especially since I didn't really like it in the first place.

A sibling liked the purple Tang - yuck! That stuff was gross.
      “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
        I rarely get Tang anymore, but it's better than powder lemonade mixes. It was a staple for camping.

Thinking of camping, the ONLY time as a kid I ever saw Mountain Dew was on camping trips. We'd hop in the truck camper and that Mountain Dew would be right there. Never had it at home (we always had plenty of soda and colas, but never Mountain Dew). To this day, I can actually taste it when I think of our camping trips. I haven't had it in years - I suspect the memory of the taste is a lot better than the reality. Especially since I didn't really like it in the first place.

A sibling liked the purple Tang - yuck! That stuff was gross.
        For me it was Dr. Pepper. We lived in Texas in 1963 and we discovered DR. Pepper. It took awhile to move north, but it is still my favorite today.

Comment

My favorite childhood food that no longer exists is Walter's Beer from Eau Claire, Wisconsin

Comment

Oh, I think we used to travel through Eau Claire to get to Colby. As a kid we went there every summer and we'd always go to the A & W for a root beer float. I don't know if they still have the stands, but there are none in Birmingham. I can still remember the taste after all these years.

Comment

Originally posted by ScooterGirlinALA View Post
              Oh, I think we used to travel through Eau Claire to get to Colby. As a kid we went there every summer and we'd always go to the A & W for a root beer float. I don't know if they still have the stands, but there are none in Birmingham. I can still remember the taste after all these years.
              I wonder if you had Snowcap rootbeer which was locally produced in Wisconsin.. You can get it again now at Titletown Brewery in Green Bay where it is locally produced with the original recipe and sold.
              Last edited by Mike; 08-15-2014, 12:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bluestar99 View Post
                Did not know it still existed.....but I will not buy it. I'm an OJ snob.
                Dont trash Tang, Maaaan. It was developed for our astronauts, or so we were told. Hard to believe now that astronauts would need Tang in outer space, but back in the day, we were convinced that Tang was one of the things that made us superior over the Russians

Comment

Originally posted by ScooterGirlinALA View Post
                  We have the last A&W drive-up in VT a little over an hour from us, they still have the trays that hang in your window and everything! We went earlier this summer, first time in over 25 years I'd been to A&W... it was just as delicious as I remembered! We scarfed down an obnoxious amount of food and topped it off with root beer floats for each of us. There really is nothing that tastes like a REAL A&W float from the restaurant.
                  Married to Longpants, Mom to Littlepants (9) and Tinypants (5). Love Camping in New England!

Comment

Foods I miss would be:
                    Wild West Sarsaparilla - At least I think this is discontinued, I haven't seen it around here in eons. My Dad used to get this for us kids as a special treat and I still remember the distinctive (and yummy!) taste.
                    Jell-O Pudding Pops - Nothing has ever come close to these frozen pudding creations peddled by Bill Cosby, soooooo creamy.
                    Generic Beer - My Dad used to bring these home too, for him, not us, of course! But I would LOVE to see these cans in the stores now:

LOL!
                    Married to Longpants, Mom to Littlepants (9) and Tinypants (5). Love Camping in New England!

Comment

Oh gosh, I remember the generic cans! Before they started labeling them with a 'store brand' to make them more marketable. Like there's something innately better by drinking soda in a can that says President's Choice or Cragmont...

Last I noticed, we still have the A&W in Sacramento. Last I was there, it still had the car stalls, but they don't serve at them anymore. I wish someone would start it up again.
                      “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Mike, I don't remember Snowcap rootbeer. We did go to Green Bay several times to swim and we got to walk Lambeau Field one day, that was awesome.

Shortpants, that's the way I remember A & W. It's a great memory with my family, uncle, grandfather and his neighbors walking through the park, over the train tracks to the A & W. They had the car parks and trays, but we always went inside.

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
                          That would be my Mom.
                          Are you a long lost sister?
                          My Mom threw in the cooking towel and started serving Swanson's TV dinners not long after her wicked children expressed a deep love for ANY of their grandmothers' cooking over her's.

Interestingly enough her grandchildren think her fried chicken is all that and a piece of cake. Her children just think it's burnt and doesn't measure up to our Virgina raised step grandmother's. Gotta love generations:D.

Oh BUT my mother's hand sewing is well honoured in the family. Got her to patch my tent's mesh door and it's a thing of beauty.
                          Last edited by NYCgrrl; 08-24-2014, 12:22 PM.
                          2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
                          Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

My mom continued to "cook", but it was very simple stuff. My grandmother who was a good cook, decided upon the death of my grandfather that she was not cooking again. I lived with her for 6-months and the rule was I could have anything I wanted for dinner as long as it came out of the freezer aisle.

Comment

THe Arrowroots got to me as well.
                              Thank goodness Hostess came back.

I don't know how much longer I can exist if they keep taking away life's essential pleasures.
                              Last edited by michelliot; 09-17-2014, 08:42 AM.

Comment

I don't know if this counts but.....

I know most of you won't know what the heck this is but if you grew up in Arizona there is instant recognition and feelings of nostalgia.
                                “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                                – E. B. White

Comment

Working...
                                X