camping alone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• camping alone

is it OK to camp alone guys? i have friends and family who i ask occasionally if they want to go camping but they say they don't, that's its boring, too many mosquitoes , and its hard to sleep comfortably. Its been awhile I've gone camping (20 yrs) but i want to try again. just to get away from the stress and the big city life.

Re: camping alone

Go for it. If you stay at developed campgrounds you may meet others for a little social interaction.

Comment

You already asked this question in another thread.

Comment

I think this was one of those "I didn't see my thread, so I started another one" duplicates due to the moderation.
        “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

go for it man do it for your self its good for your brain and your body to change the area (city)

-----------
          http://locationcampingpascher.com

Comment

Yes, definitely go for it. I'd suggest going to a campground where others will be. You'll get great ideas from others and maybe even meet a few new friends in the process.

In the process, you'll also develop, then nurture, your own style of camping. Maybe it will be modern, busy and glitzy. Camp lights aglow everywhere. Then again, maybe it will be austere, remote and functional. Nothing but you and the hinterlands. A small fire which provides company, warmth and a sense of security.
            Moss Big Dipper
            Alaskan Guide 8
            Alaskan Guide 6
            NorthFace Tadpole 23
            ALPS Exteme 3
            Six Moon Designs Lunar Two

Comment

Yes, I do it all the time. Nobody wants to go with me (wife doesn't camp, kids moved away) so I decided if I wanted to camp, I'd have to do it alone. It's not bad. I take a couple of books in case I get bored, but usually end up talking to the surrounding campers.

Comment

I went on a 6 month solo camping trip on my bicycle. The first few nights were hard until I got into the "groove". Sure was easy because nobody ever complained. If you don't like the idea of camping alone, but need solitude, find a nice national forest campground and pitch your tent. It's nice to have a few folks around if you get lonely but don't feel like engaging in a conversation.
                Visit me at Campward Bound for more camping information.
                sigpic

Comment

I would say as long as you're not too much out of your experience level. You say you haven't been camping for 20 years so I would take it easy until you get back the hang of it. And also I would make sure you let people know where you are going and how long you will be gone. Just use common sense and you should be fine! Good luck!

Comment

Am going alone to Gifford Pinchot state park in PA. Very tame. Have relatives who can visit a little up there. On the internet it looks very safe.

Comment

Have a great time. Bring some books and relax.
                      Visit me at Campward Bound for more camping information.
                      sigpic

Comment

when it comes to camping alone,
                        short term can enjoy the relaxation
                        but beyond 2 days better keep yourself busy,
                        hiking, fishing, etc...
                        hardest part of camping alone is the mental aspect

Comment

Originally posted by terasec View Post
                          hardest part of camping alone is the mental aspect
                          Very very true. Especially at night. The human mind is designed to feel unsafe at night, alone, in the wilderness. If you can get over that aspect, which is the hardest part for me, you will be fine. The relaxation during the day is like no other

Comment

You won't feel unsafe at night camping alone as you spend more time doing it, it comes easier the more time you spend out there. It is a different perspective, but one you can learn to relish. Go with it!
                            Last edited by tplife; 09-04-2014, 10:43 PM.
                            “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                            ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

I'd love to give camping alone a try. My "problem" now is that whenever I can go camping, there is always one or more of my family/friends that always says "I wanna go!". My wife and I have camped since we were kids and have camped over 25 years together as adults. If I said I was going camping by myself, it would be like saying I was going out for ice cream by myself. Just don't think it would be wise in my case.... lol.

But if you can go....then certainly....go!!!
                              2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
                              Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
                              Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
                              Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X