• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Stakes

Get some groundhogs, worth the money!

Re: New Stakes

Aren't they though!

Did a luverly job of holding one of my tents down during stormy weather even if I did attach em not quite right.
    Tied the rope ends to the guy line, LOL.
    Also anticipate them lasting much longer than any other stakes I've purchased in the past.
    2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
    Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
      Aren't they though!

Did a luverly job of holding one of my tents down during stormy weather even if I did attach em not quite right.
      Tied the rope ends to the guy line, LOL.
      Also anticipate them lasting much longer than any other stakes I've purchased in the past.
      How long do your stakes normally last?
      “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
      – E. B. White

Comment

Not even close to good for the weight conscious backpacker, but I use the large landscape nails from Home Depot with an appropriate sized washer. Don't foresee having to replace one any time soon - I've had 'em for years and I've yet to even bend one.

Comment

I went to all plastic stakes for use on the alpine tundra. I turn them into corkscrews now and then when I hit rocks, but I don't want metallic stakes when those lightning storms come over and I'm in the open at 10,000 ft el.

I use the large spikes also for the wall tent when not in the high alpine country. They can even be driven into had packed gravel and asphalt. I had the washers tack welded on.

The groundhogs look like nice stakes in places they aren't going to be lightning rods.

Comment

Originally posted by James. View Post
            How long do your stakes normally last?
            Let's see....think I bought a glow in the dark plastic stake pack about 2 years ago and almost all of them have lost their side pegs. Dinna have a hole in the center either.

4 years back I purchased some extra long steel stakes w/ hardened plastic heads, hole and peg holder. Nice until the heads started moving around.

Interestingly enough, still have lots of those aluminum hook style stakes. When they bend beyond any possible use I dump 'em.

I did notice that the hook shaped and extra long steel stakes don't hold very well in wet soil.
            2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
            Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

But I just bought around 40 kelty no bendiums from STP! I was looking at Coughlan's groundhog knock-off but I like a stake I can get flush with the ground.

Comment

I have a bucketfull of Monk's stakes. They would hold up a fortress and very inexpensive (about $1.50 each). Solid steel.

Comment

Macgyver has something with the landscape nails. Picked some up last week and tried them on a tarp set up as a lean-to. Was able to pound them into some really hard ground and they held great. The ones I got were not very smooth and if like me you make a taught line for guys, it will fray your cord, but I think the wire wheel on the bench grinder will fix that. Certainly was cheaper than the groundhogs.

Comment

Working...
                  X