Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Total Newbie: Want to go out with 3 other friends. What tent should I buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Total Newbie: Want to go out with 3 other friends. What tent should I buy?

Me and 3 other friends (all in our early 40s), want to start going out (car) camping. Once each 2 months or about 6 times a year.

We have absolutely no experience camping, but like I said we want to start doing it. The idea is to have a great "macho" time, to drink some wiskey, look at the stars and maybe even fish (we don't know either how to do it).

We live in Bogota, Colombia, so the climate is between autumn, spring and summer, and depending on where we camp, it can be a little bit rainy.

We want to be able to fit 4 comfortably, with the option of adding additional 4 if needed. So at first I thought of a single 8~10 persons tent, but reading the forum it might even be two 4~5 person tents.

Looking at amazon, this is the list of tents i believe that might be for us:

Coleman Red Canyon http://amzn.com/B000W7BHJ
    Mountain Trails Grand Pass http://amzn.com/B003R7PU6W
    Coleman Evanston 8 Screened Tent http://amzn.com/B004E4ERIY
    Wenzel Great Basin http://amzn.com/B002PAWK7O
    Coleman 14x10 Foot 8 Person Instant Tent http://amzn.com/B003QUT9OE

The Evanston seems to be a little bit on the small side and is the least appealing for that. All but the last Coleman seem to be ready for rain.

The coleman instant tent looks very easy to assemble, but it is the most expensive one and I need to spend 50 more on the rain cover. Also, it looks like it is very heavy (60 pounds).

Also, on AMAZON (which is the only store that allows me to buy using my international cc), there are 8 people tents for about 400~600 dollars. What is the difference between this 400~600 dollar tents and the 100~200 dollars ones?

Anyway, considering our needs, what would you recommend? THANKS!

Re: Total Newbie: Want to go out with 3 other friends. What tent should I buy?

The higher priced tents handle wind and rain better. Lower priced tents that handle rain well tend to have problems with condensation due to poor ventilation. Also the materials and features of the $400+ tents are appreciably nicer.

I've never been to Bogotá so I can't really comment there. I can comment on camping with a group of middle-aged dudes who drink lots of whisky. We all snore so loudly we can't stand to be in one tent together. I suggest four 2-person tents like a Eureka Timberline and a large screenhouse to hang out in when it rains. You might also consider camping hammocks to avoid bugs and spiders on the ground.

Comment

Just to clarify, when I refer to the difference between the tents i listed and others, I mean, what does, for example a Big Agnes Tensleep Station 6 Person Car Camping Tent ($459) or Marmot Halo 6P Tent ($680) that make them so much expensive than the ones I listed.

Comment

Hello and welcome! If it were me, I'd nix the Mountain Trails and Wenzel tents simply because the rainfly on both these tents are not the best coverage for very rainy areas. I have always had good luck with the Coleman tents, but mine are older models, so I can't speak to the current models. I do have a couple friends that have the smaller Instant Tents and are happy with them, they certainly are easy to put up! Neither of them have the rain fly for the tent, but in heavy rain they put a tarp up over the tent and stay dry. It really depends on if you decide to go with two smaller tents or one larger tent to fit everyone. Keep in mind that a tent listed as a "4 man" will really only fit 2-3 adults with gear, etc. Ditto with the 8-10 person tents. Look at the full dimensions of the tent, not just the number of people they *say* it will fit.
        Married to Longpants, Mom to Littlepants (9) and Tinypants (5). Love Camping in New England!

Comment

Take a look at this thread here:
          http://www.campingforums.com/forum/s...estion-Thread-)

I got some fantastic advice on a smaller tent for me and my family, hwc1954 gave some perfect suggestions in post 3 of that thread. HTH!
          Married to Longpants, Mom to Littlepants (9) and Tinypants (5). Love Camping in New England!

Comment

Thanks guys for all the help. I would like to add some thoughts and questions.

First I would like to clarify, again , that we have 0 knowledge of tents and camping. We are smart guys, or so we believe, and we don't have issues with learning, but knowledge here is a handicap. What I mean is, if the tents are very difficult to assemble it could be a problem.

Like I mentioned, our climate is a mixture of autumn-spring-summer with some rains from time to time. We plan on going out 4~6 times a year, or 5 weekends no, 1 yes.

That said, I wanted to start with a doubt I left passing, and that was not answered. Why is there so much difference in cost on the tents? There are 8 persons tents for about 100 dollars, and then you have 4 person tents for about 400. Why is that? Is it really that much better the 400 dollars one?

I'm asking this because we might go once, and decide we don't like it, and so we don't want to spend money where it is not needed. Is like buying a car. You can buy a Honda or a BMW. I love the BWM (in fact I used to have one), but the Honda would do exactly the same as the BMW with much less money.

So, we don't want to spend money on "luxuries". We rather spend it on things that are useful. Let me try to put an example. I rather spend 50 dollars more because the floor is of higher quality than spend 50 dollars on a nicer color. This is a simple example.

Another thing that confuses me is, how can the Coleman Red Canyon http://amzn.com/B000W7BHJY be 110 dollars and a Kelty Sonic 8 Tent be 250 dollars http://www.sierratradingpost.com/kel...season~p~7269j. What is the real difference? Is it worth it? Because for the price of the kelty, I can get 2 Coleman and still have 30 dollars to spend.

Also, I rather have a 8~10 person tent than two 4~5 persons tent, as that way I believe we can all be at night talking shit on the same place. Is that so? Or can the two 4~5 person tents be "united" to make 1 big tent somehow?

Like I mentioned before, I would love to spend about 200 dollars (I still need to import it to Colombia), but I like the Kelty I linked very much. Is that a good tent? I would love recommendations on 4~5 people tents as well as 8~10 people ones. PLEASE HELP GUYS!

Thanks a lot.

Comment

You can easilly spot Coleman tents in a campground. They're the ones with huge tarps over them to prevent leaking when it rain. Remember most cheap tents are really designed to provide privacy and not really weather protection. A big Coleman you buy for 100 bucks will be fine in nice weather, get 2-3 days of rain any you'll understand why folks buy some of the premium brands for more money.

Comment

In most cases, the difference in the prices of the tents mean better craftsmanship, materials, waterproofing, design, etc. The cheaper the tent, the more likely you are to have leaks, cheaper materials that will rip easier, and so forth. BUT, that said, many a camper is perfectly happy with the cheaper tent. Personally, I have a large family tent that was an el-cheapo from Walmart, this tent is perfectly fine in fair weather and even rain, but I seam sealed the heck out of it and waterproof sprayed the entire thing before our first trip. We also use a huge tarp over the whole tent in the event of torrential downpours, just to be safe since we have two little ones, and soggy little ones are NO FUN. We also have a secondary "backup" tent, a small dome that is much more rainproof and easier to put up if we need to setup camp in the rain. We've had the el-cheapo cabin tent for going on 3 years now, and not a problem to report. So yes, if you are just checking out camping to see if you even like it, not paying hundreds to thousands of dollars on gear is the route to go. You can always upgrade later if you decide you like it.

So, in short, is there really a difference between the expensive tents and the cheap ones? Yes. Does it really matter that you camp in a cheap tent? Nope. With proper prep and planning, maintenance and care, a cheap tent can outlast even the highest price tent. I have had my Coleman for over 20 years. Find the best tent for your needs, in the budget you can afford, and go for it! Just make sure to look at all the details and design features like rainfly coverage, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Shortpants View Post
                  In most cases, the difference in the prices of the tents mean better craftsmanship, materials, waterproofing, design, etc. The cheaper the tent, the more likely you are to have leaks, cheaper materials that will rip easier, and so forth. BUT, that said, many a camper is perfectly happy with the cheaper tent. Personally, I have a large family tent that was an el-cheapo from Walmart, this tent is perfectly fine in fair weather and even rain, but I seam sealed the heck out of it and waterproof sprayed the entire thing before our first trip. We also use a huge tarp over the whole tent in the event of torrential downpours, just to be safe since we have two little ones, and soggy little ones are NO FUN. We also have a secondary "backup" tent, a small dome that is much more rainproof and easier to put up if we need to setup camp in the rain. We've had the el-cheapo cabin tent for going on 3 years now, and not a problem to report. So yes, if you are just checking out camping to see if you even like it, not paying hundreds to thousands of dollars on gear is the route to go. You can always upgrade later if you decide you like it.

So, in short, is there really a difference between the expensive tents and the cheap ones? Yes. Does it really matter that you camp in a cheap tent? Nope. With proper prep and planning, maintenance and care, a cheap tent can outlast even the highest price tent. I have had my Coleman for over 20 years. Find the best tent for your needs, in the budget you can afford, and go for it! Just make sure to look at all the details and design features like rainfly coverage, etc.
                  Well said
                  “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                  – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by oldthor View Post
                    You can easilly spot Coleman tents in a campground. They're the ones with huge tarps over them to prevent leaking when it rain. Remember most cheap tents are really designed to provide privacy and not really weather protection. A big Coleman you buy for 100 bucks will be fine in nice weather, get 2-3 days of rain any you'll understand why folks buy some of the premium brands for more money.

Thank you guys for your explanation. I have two more questions then.

1) What is the best 8 tent person you can get for 200~220 dollars?

2) What is the best bang/buck 8 tent person? (it can be more than 200 dollars).

THANKS!
                    Last edited by kwanbis; 08-07-2014, 10:15 AM.

Comment

Out of the tents you listed in your first post, I would pick the Coleman Red Canyon. It is under $100, so it won't break the bank for "tester" camping. I have also read and heard pretty good reviews about this tent. Keep in mind you will want to seam seal it and waterproof spray it, and maybe even pick up a tarp big enough to hang over the whole tent with a little overhang just in case of heavy rains.

As far as the best bang for the buck with no $$ limit? You will get a different answer from every person here. Everyone has their own favorite. Names like Big Agnes, Kelty, Eureka, Marmot, North Face are all popular higher end tent manufacturers. Some are geared more towards backpacking, so are lighter weight fabrics and poles. Others are better suited for car camping, heavier fabrics and more room. There are so many features in the more expensive tents, it really depends on what suits your particular needs and wants.

Comment

Out of the tents you listed in your first post, I would pick the Coleman Red Canyon. It is under $100, so it won't break the bank for "tester" camping. I have also read and heard pretty good reviews about this tent. Keep in mind you will want to seam seal it and waterproof spray it, and maybe even pick up a tarp big enough to hang over the whole tent with a little overhang just in case of heavy rains.
                        Thanks. I listed those because I don't know better and because they are the highest rated on amazon. But you can suggest any other you feel is better.

What tarp would you buy to fit the coleman? How do you "hang" the tarp if there are no trees near by?

As far as the best bang for the buck with no $$ limit? You will get a different answer from every person here. Everyone has their own favorite. Names like Big Agnes, Kelty, Eureka, Marmot, North Face are all popular higher end tent manufacturers. Some are geared more towards backpacking, so are lighter weight fabrics and poles. Others are better suited for car camping, heavier fabrics and more room. There are so many features in the more expensive tents, it really depends on what suits your particular needs and wants.
                        I would expect that people would suggest different things. What would be yours? That said. I won't ever spend more than 300~330, so lets make it that tops. Thanks!

Comment

I do see a lot of Coleman Red Canyon tents at the campgrounds. The people I talk to like them very much. It looks good to me except for the outer sides that do not have a full tarp. Honestly, it isnt that big of a deal. I think the material has a hot melt barrier layer so it is waterproof. Just dont have anything touching the outside edges of the tent

I think the Coleman would be a good choice, all things considered

Last edited by Mike; 08-08-2014, 04:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                            I do see a lot of Coleman Red Canyon tents at the campgrounds. The people I talk to like them very much.
                            The ranking on amazon seems to agree with your observation.

It looks good to me except for the outer sides that do not have a full tarp. Honestly, it isnt that big of a deal.
                            What do you mean the outer sides do not have full tarp?

I think the material has a hot melt barrier layer so it is waterproof. Just dont have anything touching the outside edges of the tent
                            What do you mean dont have anything touching the outside edges?

I think the Coleman would be a good choice, all things considered
                            What would be a better choice for 100~300?

Comment

Originally posted by kwanbis View Post
                              The ranking on amazon seems to agree with your observation.

What do you mean the outer sides do not have full tarp?

What do you mean dont have anything touching the outside edges?
                              It does not have a full tarp (rain fly) because on the ends the fly does not go all the way down to the ground. And when the outside of the tent is soaked touching the sides can wick water through the material and inside the tent. If you are sleeping and your bag is touching the side wall of the tent your bag will start soaking up the water. That is why a full rain fly is important. It keeps the water from getting to the tent so if you accidentally put something against the wall there isn't any water to wick inside the tent.

Hope that made sense.

The downfall of full fly's is that it also makes the tent less ventilated. So it is hotter. I personally don't care about the fly as I live and camp in Arizona. It is hot enough here and usually doesn't rain.
                              “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                              – E. B. White

Comment

Working...
                              X