My Stargazing Camping Menu + Recipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Stargazing Camping Menu + Recipes

Something I keep planning to do and keep forgetting. Got it right this year and booked my campsite during the height of the meteor shower viewing. Errr which actually turned out to be wrong since a super moon will be in the sky at the same time. Ah well any reason to get out of the city in August is good.

So since there's no reason for me to cater to the sensibilities of a 9 y/o (kiddos r banned 4 this trip) food critic I'm doing 'xactly what I want.

Bought a few special meat cuts on sale that were made for grilling so they'll figure in this menu: baby lamb chops (slurppy yum yum!) and a 2.0" Porterhouse steak that I'll defrost and home dry age before we go. Some chicky parts and we're fine as I expect to find some nice fish/shellfish near the camp ground.

So here it is:

Day 1

Dinner

appetizers: grilled mussels/clams/oysters . One of the nicest things about this method is no shucking is needed. Lemon slices and melted buttah make em extra yummy.

main course: grilled fish steak

tomato tartare http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/a...h-tomato-water
    Heads up- the molding aspect isn't need but but gosh it looks so cute...oops.

dessert: blueberries atop citrus shortcake w/ yoghurt. I've some shortcake in the freezer left over from the kiddie trip.

Day 2

Breakfast

fruit platter
    egg muffins
    coffee, tea
    OJ

Lunch -on the road

Dinner

appetizer: olive and feta salad. This dish doesn't even need a proper recipe and due to the ingredients doesn't need much refrigeration. You can always beef it up by adding dry meat like any kind of salami.

Serves 2
    Double, triple, quadruple amt. as needed but be careful w/ the herbs and spices.

8 oz container of mixed olives
    2 TBs of lemon juice which is about 1 and 1/2 the amt of juice in an average lemon.
    2 oz of feta cheese, cut into 1/4-1/2" cubes
    2 smashed garlic cloves
    6-8 thin sliced roasted red pepper pieces
    1/2 cup olive oil
    1 large sprig of dried oregano or 1/2 tsp
    palm full of chopped fresh Italian parsley
    red pepper flakes to taste

Place all ingredients in a ziploc bag and marinate for at least 2 hours and up to 2 days.

Serve rm temperature.

main: grilled dukkah lamb chops http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...olasses-240666
    ratatouille atop quinoa. Made this style of nut crusted chops back around New year's Eve. Due to an excess of bubbly forgot the pomegranate molasses. Tasted fine w/o it.

Day 3

breakfast:

fruit, dried meat and cheese plate. Buying bunderfliesch and Serrano ham at a local to me deli counter. Salami is nice as well and more commonly avail.
    coffee, tea
    OJ

lunch: on the road

Dinner:

appetizer: mixed olives

main: chicken Shawarma on whole wheat pita topped w/ tabbouleh and tomato relish and tahini sauce
    . Gonna make the pita w/ leftover pizza dough.

dessert: lemon sorbet. It's nice to camp near a supermarket

Day 4

breakfast:

egg muffins
    coffee, tea
    OJ

Lunch- on the road

Dinner:

appetizer:

main: Porterhouse steak, grilled Tuscan style, arugula salad, grilled marinated cauliflower

dessert: Catalan flan

Day 5

breakfast: eggs poached in tomato sauce with ratatouille.
    coffee, tea
    OJ

lunch: on the road

dinner: at home
    2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
    Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Re: My Stargazing Camping Menu + Recipes

Geez, you eat good. I hope to be your neighbor someday! The group I camp with are into Dutch Oven/Camp Oven cooking. I thought we ate well.

Comment

Cooking is a passion with me, and outdoor cooking, a new found love. I spend parts of my winters thinking of new dishes and reworking some of them for camping, LOL.
      When possible I like to serve appetizers, room temp, to allow time for the charcoal to turn white. And maybe enjoy a tall cold one and surroundings interim. I always recall my grandmother rushing between the kitchen and dining room, eating last. Wanted to emulate her in many ways but not the entire plate of cold food part.

One day I'm gonna start DOing and prolly never stop. For the moment I'm working hard to ensure I've enough space to store my existing gear. When I move a Dutch oven will certainly have a place.
      Last edited by NYCgrrl; 07-31-2014, 08:05 PM.
      2017:

Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

If you are interested in Dutch Oven Cooking, check out this site. http://dutchovenmadness.blogspot.com/ The lady that did it was going to try and write a DO cook book. Her goal was to cook one dish every day for a year and record it for a book. After all she did she could not sell enough books to print it. But I have made many of her recipes and find them great. Not as fancy as your use to but very good stuff. Maybe if there is some interest we could start a dutch oven thread.

Here is one of my favorites of hers. It is a Chicken Enchilada Ring with Mexican rice. I have changed the Enchilada some, by using a whole pulled chicken and adding a can of Mexicorn and sliced olives.

Comment

^^^^^

My oh my oh myyyyyyyy!
          That's serious lip smacking looking. I particularly like that the meat and cheese filling are "sidelined" whilst the rice is centered. Shows an attention to the details of visual appeal.

A lot of camping cookbooks are vanity printed and I just don't understand the complete why of it:(.
          2017:

Comment

my dad let me borrow his DO when we went camping last weekend and I tried out the apple cobbler. YUM!! It was so tasty, especially with the vanilla ice cream from the campground store .

This was the first camping trip that I actually planned a menu instead of being vague about what I would cook. It made packing and such so much easier. Having the meals planned out also made the camping much more relaxing, too.

Comment

Maybe you will get hooked on the DO cooking . For me I also like to plan my meals in advance. It saves running out at the last minute for ingredients or eating a PB&J sandwich, because I was lazy. There are very few things you make at home that can't be done in a DO.

Great job on the cobbler and keep on cooking!

Comment

Working...
              X